You are Here:
Categorizing & Inventorying Your Collection

Author (Read 36064 times)

Re: playing cards collector database of spreadsheet available?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »

jderouen

• Newcomer
I would love to see it, thank you so much!!

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
This is just a side note for this thread, but it seems as good a place as any to mention it. There is a website for sports card collecting called Zistle (www.zistle.com) which I think sets a standard going forward for community driven, collection oriented databases. On the site, a collector can find sets, subsets, and photos of each individual card and add it to their collection online to eventually see analytics, variations, and reports of their entire collection. If the specific cards you are looking for aren't there, you can add them and their accompanying pictures yourself to be used by the community. Truly groundbreaking and free with only the advanced featured costing anything. If you have a sports card collection you are doing yourself a favor by checking it out. Just go check it out in general. Maybe it will inspire someone with more programming knowledge than me to adapt the system to playing card purposes.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well here's an image of the spreadsheet, if your interested you can email me and I'll be more then happy to send you the file  ;)

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »

jderouen

• Newcomer
PM sent, thanks so much!

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 12:42:12 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
http://en.wikicollecting.org/ this might be of some interest.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 01:14:39 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
We actually have a lot of similar topics floating around here.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/how-do-you-track-your-collection/msg75062/#msg75062
http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/categorizing-your-collection/msg81369/#msg81369

Can we just put them all together? I'm sure there is more because i remember seeing them..just cant find it.

Sparkz, can you also send to me?

Better yet, maybe we can start a shared google doc and allow multiple people to edit to make it a community source that you can then import/reference in your own private sheet.  With your permission I'm willing to take the lead on that if you don't have the time and could maybe insert some controls, automation and process around it.

I'm actually all for this idea. We can create a spread sheet with all the information in it. All members can view it to update their own personal list but only certain few can update it (For accuracy sake). I believe many of us have our own lists, but not necessarily the full information of each deck in our collection from card finish to print date to print run and much more. This will be a good idea and members can contribute to any information they have when they see a "blank" or a mistake in the excel sheet.

Re: Categorizing & Inventorying Your Collection
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've merged the topics and moved them to The Source - Card Collecting 101.  THIS is the category for all the best, most basic core elements of collecting.

No, you can't start a topic here, only an admin can, but you can post here.  If you start a topic elsewhere that is really THAT important to collecting cards, the staff puts it here.

http://en.wikicollecting.org/ this might be of some interest.

I tried this site, but they have so little information about playing cards and no information about tracking one's collection.  They mentioned the IPCS and WOPC, both in the UK.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:06 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I've been meaning to track my collection via Excel since I started, but never quite got round to it...

One problem I have which I haven't figured out yet - anyone have a good/neat way to get picture(s) of the decks into a spreadsheet?

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've been meaning to track my collection via Excel since I started, but never quite got round to it...

One problem I have which I haven't figured out yet - anyone have a good/neat way to get picture(s) of the decks into a spreadsheet?

Try some simple database software.  Bento for Mac is good, as is the "parent" program, FileMaker.  I found it an order of magnitude easier to use FileMaker rather than Microsoft Access for Windows.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I took the file that Sparkz sent me (Thanks!!!) that only contains the data, formatted it a bit for Google Docs and made a few minor updates, including adding columns for URLs.  This is a shared file that anybody can view and I will give any RESPONSIBLE party access to edit/update on request (just sent PM).  There are versions stored so we can go back if things get really messed up. View the spreadsheet.  My original plan was to use this as a way for myself and others to reference from a Google Site app or another Google Spreadsheet and 'add' a reference to any entry, thus creating a cobbled collecting app.  If the content took off then perhaps we could use the backend data for a future better solution. 

This may still be an option, but the PlayingCardDB.com that I mentioned before just had a MAJOR update today that lets people finally share their collections and the critical bug fixes taken care of.  It still has a way to go and the developer hasn't had time for a while before this (risk of slow future development), but I'm hopeful this will be everybody's go to solution going forward. For an example of what your collection can look like you can see mine here..  There's a few quirks and minor bugs, including you have to add to your collection from each brand listing (can at least do multiples at once - feature to add from individual listing being worked).  It's also missing some key fields and needs some garbage cleanup, but it has almost 800 decks added so far (mostly modern) and many with tuck scans.

I decided to go ahead and share this shared spreadsheet anyhow in case others wanted to contribute or build off it on their own.  Because the PlayingCardDB site is still early it doesn't have all the data attributes/fields listed in the spreadsheet so updating both in the short term may be a good idea.  I know I'll at least keep both updated as I add to my collection.

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »

AndreCamp

• Newcomer
Obv i'm using Excel, and it works well...

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I suspect there are hundreds of programs that can deal with something that is, in the general scheme of things, a relatively simple application. I started about 20 odd years ago with IBM FileMaster, moved on to a more complicated DB program [name escapes me now] and when Microsoft came out with ACCESS database I switched to it as I also used it extensively at work. Access has become easier to use, especially in the context of adding card pictures to each record and it suits me fine. However if you don't have a more than basic suite of Office, it gets expensive.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I suspect there are hundreds of programs that can deal with something that is, in the general scheme of things, a relatively simple application. I started about 20 odd years ago with IBM FileMaster, moved on to a more complicated DB program [name escapes me now] and when Microsoft came out with ACCESS database I switched to it as I also used it extensively at work. Access has become easier to use, especially in the context of adding card pictures to each record and it suits me fine. However if you don't have a more than basic suite of Office, it gets expensive.

On the Mac, I used to inventory a card game collection using FileMaker Pro - this was in the days before Mac OS X and Intel chips.  I found it extremely easy to use.  I've since tried the home version, Bento - it's not as flexible, but it's very simple.  It's also cheaper and has an iOS app as well.

Databases are the way to go.  You could use spreadsheets, even create calculations that cross to multiple sheets (on Excel, at the least, haven't tried it on Numbers yet), but eventually you'll reach a point where it's too much of a jury-rig, depending on the complexity of the data you're using.

Of course, if all you want is a simple list of "brand, maker, quantity", even Word is adequate for that...

Either way, MS Access for PC is a PAIN - I have to use it at work and I don't recommend it.

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • I'm card collector from Moscow, Russia.

• Twitter:
Yes, I do. I keep all my collection (about 600 decks) in Evernote. Quite comfortable, you may use any device to add a new item.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:17:50 AM by iDoctor »
My card collection on PlayingCardDB http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6196

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Yes, I do. I keep all my collection (about 300 decks) in Evernote. Quite comfortable, you may use any device to add a new item.

Do you list each deck as a separate note?  What do you include for details?  Do you have a basic template that you use each time?

I'm totally sold on the PlayingCardDatabase website as it also now has over 1,000 decks to pick from and add to your collection.  Here's my collection there: http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6134

Although I have some reservations of having it all outside of my control so I'll still keep updating my BGG entry and looking for other methods to manage the collection that I have full control over.  I also occasionally scrape the contents of my collection for historical and some kind of disaster recovery.

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Twitter:
No, I don't. I keep them all in one note, it's much easier to manage. At the same time, it doesn't allow to contain all necessary info(.
I didn't know about the database mentioned in your post, it looks great. Is it easy in use? Probably I should try.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:36:44 AM by iDoctor »
My card collection on PlayingCardDB http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6196

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
No, I don't. I keep them all in one note, it's much easier to manage. At the same time, it doesn't allow to contain all necessary info(.
I didn't know about the database mention in your post, it looks great. Is it easy in use? Probably I should try.

Just register and try it!   ;)

It's still pretty early, but it's been pretty functional for a while now.  As a new user you'll only have the option to add existing decks in the database to your collection (can't add new decks to the database), but with over 1,000 decks most of yours should be represented.  PM me if you need a new one added so you can add to your collection.

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Twitter:
Ok, I've registered and begun  ;)

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 01:32:54 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Twitter:
[quote author=ecNate link=topic=4832.msg103930#msg103930 date=1410886244

It's still pretty early, but it's been pretty functional for a while now.  As a new user you'll only have the option to add existing decks in the database to your collection (can't add new decks to the database), but with over 1,000 decks most of yours should be represented.  PM me if you need a new one added so you can add to your collection.
[/quote]

Wow, it's works great. And my collection looks not bad in the database   ;D
You were right, I really have some decks not presented in the database at the moment (including my favorite vintage Vegas decks). I PM you the list of them when complete the process.
At the same time, many of presented decks have no scans. Will you please let me know, either I may help you with these scans or not yet. If yes, please info me about the process. I'll be glad to assist.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:37:54 AM by iDoctor »

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Wow, it's works great. And my collection looks not bad in the database   ;D
You were right, I really have some decks not presented in the database at the moment (including my favorite vintage Vegas decks). I PM you the list of them when complete the process.
At the same time, many of presented decks have no scans. Will you please let me know, either I may help you with these scans or not yet. If yes, please info me about the process. I'll be glad to assist.

I would be willing to add a few for you, but if you have a bunch of decks then perhaps you should see if you can get access eventually. See here..  Since it's so new rhu is being cautious about who gets access to add/edit, etc, although as the site and code improves that should open up more easily.  Basically you get added if you can be trusted, whatever that means.  I think it may be related to your investment so having a large collection would mean you have a vested interested in not screwing things up.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that you can get access to add new decks and then at the same time that gives you ability to edit those decks and also add images to that deck.  I could be wrong about the details though.  Just ask for access from that link above and let me know what access you get and what that means so I can update the FAQ around access levels.

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:24 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Twitter:
Hi, thanks.
I've contacted to rhu and have got the access. I've already added a couple of dozens scans from my personal database. So everithing is going on well.
Yours, iDoctor

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Twitter:
Sparkz, the spreadsheet is really cool. Even too detailed for me at the moment..
These days I've spent all my free time adding my collection in the PlayingCardDB and trying to do something good for the DataBase itself. As this work is more or less completed, I'm going to investigate your spreadsheet. Thanks!

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
ah no worries, the spreadsheet was pre-PCDB.

The PCDB is actually a great option for those wanting to catolog their collection, Rhu and Nate have done a real nice job with it.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:37:34 PM by Anthony »

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Twitter:
Yes, I absoluthely agree with you. Welldone! And it is improving every day!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:18:37 PM by iDoctor »

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
The PCDB is actually a great option for those wanting to catolog their collection, Rhu and Nate have done a real nice job with it.  :)

Thanks, but I just help with feature suggestions, documentation and promotion.  Rhu is the sole coder and real worker behind it.  It's really come a long way and iDoctor has been contributing a TON since joining!  There's now almost 1,500 decks in the database!  :D