You are Here:
The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!

Author (Read 15938 times)

Re: The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
So, what's new on the agenda? What do you guys have planned? :) maybe a competition for a free JNugg? ;) :p
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 12:07:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I'll miss Alex, but it's great to see that the new management knows their stuff!

Alex isn't leaving, at least not for the indefinite future - he's on staff here and helps keep things running smoothly.  I imagine we might see him more, since passing over the ownership will take a few things off of his plate.

Tom, Judy & Lee- Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.

A special thanks to Alex for creating a place were everyone is welcome- magicians, cardist, poker players, long time collectors, and people just getting started. We have a great forum here because of the work Alex has done. So thank you.

Hey, what about me?  [snif]  :))  Just teasing!  Alex was the driving force behind this board from the beginning and things wouldn't be the way they have become now without him.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Amazing news! Looking forward to what the new year holds.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 02:01:27 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
WOW!!
Congratulations on your purchase Tom,
I've heard your name since while. I'll be happy to be here stay in the Discourse,
and very excited to hear more information and knowledge of playing card  :)

Also welcome to Lee Asher  :)
"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
So, what's new on the agenda? What do you guys have planned? :)

Good man.. love your enthusiasm!

Have you watch the 30 min. interview with Tom & Judy (found in Tom's letter)? Just click the YouTube image, and it should take you to the video. It's even chapter'd in the description.

For those who missed it, and are reading about it for the first time, check out - Tom and Judy Dawson on Playing Cards.

Before the end of the year, Tom plans to put up some sweet images of stuff most people have only read about. However, the majority of new stuff comes in 2014.

Maybe you could help with the dissemination of all the info? PM me, and let's talk. That goes for anyone else interested. PM or email me (found in my profile).

maybe a competition for a free JNugg? ;) :p

You mean a contest where the winner receives 1 single card? We'd need to have 55 contests in order for someone to collect all 52 cards, 2 jokers, and the tuck. Maybe a bonus round for the ripped cello? ;) :p

On a serious note, I think there's already a 10,000,000 page view contest running (found here). I hear you win a singed Exquisite deck (very nice of the CARC). Has everyone entered yet?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:14:26 AM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

On a serious note, I think there's already a 10,000,000 page view contest running (found here). I hear you win a singed Exquisite deck (very nice of the CARC). Has everyone entered yet?

Yes, Bill Kalush did us a solid with that one.  GET IN YOUR ENTRIES FAST, because no new entries will be accepted when the 8pm check shows we've exceeded 9,900,000 page views - I suspect we'll hit that mark before the week is over.  Also, I'm holding a "loser's raffle" among all the people who guessed the wrong date for three Bicycle Americanas from me personally.  I'll sign them if you want, but I can't speak for how it would affect the value...  :))

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Entered!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:10:37 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Entered!
Insider trading, I'm calling the SEC!  >:(  LOL  I just threw out Valentine's Day on a lark and Don recorded it, so I'll stand on that hand. :bosswalk:
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Insider trading!

Promise I didn't look! But if I win, someone can have the deck, I just want Kalush's signature. Let's just say some checks need signing.

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Insider trading!

Promise I didn't look! But if I win, someone can have the deck, I just want Kalush's signature. Let's just say some checks need signing.
Ha, ha, ha...  He'll never miss it, that's for certain!  I hear David Blaine is getting ready to unleash some "Gatorback" decks, "pen and ink" design this time.  We'll see - I'm wondering if it's his pen or Mark Stutzman's.  Thinking most likely the latter.  Bill's bound to be in there somewhere...

We're a patient group, and we know you've still got at least a deck or two of those JNug decks up your sleeve. ;)
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Insider trading!

Interestingly enough, the deck itself isn't what's signed!  Bill created a custom deck jacket for the red Exquisites.  Exquisites don't have a deck seal, just the cellophane.  So the package is the still-wrapped deck inside the autographed jacket, which is sll kept in a self-sealing plastic pocket, glued closed.

Entered!
Insider trading, I'm calling the SEC!  >:(  LOL  I just threw out Valentine's Day on a lark and Don recorded it, so I'll stand on that hand. :bosswalk:

Hey, there is a losers' drawing, too.  You may win something yet.

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Thought I would leave my congrats real quick. Congratulations Tom, Judy and Lee! It's very reassuring to know that The Discourse is in good hands and has a bright future. Especially since it looks like Mike is pretty much killing off the UC by banning anyone who has an honest opinion.

It's also great to see so many people planning on going to the 52Plus Joker convention in SC. My wife and I will definitely be attending this year. It looks like it will be a great Forum gathering!

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thought I would leave my congrats real quick. Congratulations Tom, Judy and Lee! It's very reassuring to know that The Discourse is in good hands and has a bright future. Especially since it looks like Mike is pretty much killing off the UC by banning anyone who has an honest opinion.

It's also great to see so many people planning on going to the 52Plus Joker convention in SC. My wife and I will definitely be attending this year. It looks like it will be a great Forum gathering!

Thanks, Randy

See, now I'm going to have to get my wife to come!  :))

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

Thanks, Randy

Where should I go to find information on the convention? Is it on the 52+Joker website?

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Info on the convention?

Good question! The Convention area of the 52+ website is found here. However, we are going through a site transition, and it hasn't been updated with the 2014 convention info yet.

I don't want you walking away empty-handed so you can find info about the convention posted on the UC (Thank you Mike Ratledge!)

When the 52+ Joker site is updated, I'll let everyone know.

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »

Shaffique

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Congratulations Tom!
Feels like two worlds have collided. I am excited to learn and have just bought my first brick on Kickstarter.
Also excited to share knowledge about my main interest - Antique US - Non Standard Playing Cards.

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Thanks, Randy

Where should I go to find information on the convention? Is it on the 52+Joker website?
Good question. Even though in transition, our own website should have some information. We recently concluded a contract with an hotel in Charleston so dates are final and I will remedy the situation with some highlights on the 52+J site. In summary - the hotel is InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel [South Carolina] and the dates are reception evening of Oct. 15th to closing banquet on the night of the 18th.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Congratulations Tom!
Feels like two worlds have collided. I am excited to learn and have just bought my first brick on Kickstarter.
Also excited to share knowledge about my main interest - Antique US - Non Standard Playing Cards.

Shaffique - great to see you here. Suggest you post a few details of your playing card history on the "Introduce Yourself board. For the rest of you I'll give you a hint. Shaffique has no doubt the most extensive collection of American non-standard decks from the beginnings in the mid 1800's until the WWII period. It is awesome!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Congratulations Tom!

Shaffique - great to see you here. Suggest you post a few details of your playing card history on the "Introduce Yourself board. For the rest of you I'll give you a hint. Shaffique has no doubt the most extensive collection of American non-standard decks from the beginnings in the mid 1800's until the WWII period. It is awesome!

- Tom

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Shaffique has no doubt the most extensive collection of American non-standard decks from the beginnings in the mid 1800's until the WWII period. It is awesome!

Oh, so you're a little interested, I take it?  :))

Shaffique, welcome aboard!  As with all new members, I encourage you to create a topic for yourself on the Introduce Yourself board and let the gang here know more about you.  Judging from ol' MagikFingerz here, your dance card's going to fill up quickly!  :))  Most importantly, have fun and don't hesitate to ask if you has a question!

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Congratulation!  Cant wait to learn from all of you!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion for cards!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
As a last little bonus treat, I tossed in some brand new staff rank images. The old ones kind of made no sense, but these do!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Speaking of change how long have you had that french fry on your upper lip?   :)   You have to have some grey hair by now running this board.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:16:01 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Speaking of change how long have you had that french fry on your upper lip?   :)   You have to have some grey hair by now running this board.

I'm actually starting to get grey streaks on the sides of my head, so there you go!

The fry will never change, btw
Forum Founder.

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
As a last little bonus treat, I tossed in some brand new staff rank images. The old ones kind of made no sense, but these do!

Snazzy.

I never did understand what the bar was supposed to be. These ones make loads more sense.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)