Author (Read 1091 times)

421 Creations Presents: Aglo Playing Cards [KS]
« on: December 17, 2015, 11:16:24 PM »

421creations

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Aglo Playing Cards available on Kickstarter!

We at 421 Creations are trying to bring creative designs to market and our first project is Algo Playing Cards!

Made to be playable under black lights the cards have black backgrounds, colorful neon pips and Unicode court card for easy recognition!

More at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/421creations/aglo-playing-cards

Re: 421 Creations Presents: Aglo Playing Cards [KS]
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:44:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Aglo Playing Cards available on Kickstarter!

We at 421 Creations are trying to bring creative designs to market and our first project is Algo Playing Cards!

Made to be playable under black lights the cards have black backgrounds, colorful neon pips and Unicode court card for easy recognition!

More at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/421creations/aglo-playing-cards

Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of the design.  But don't fret - there are few designs these days that I'm a fan of!  I'm a picky S.O.B. lately.

Now, putting my personal opinions aside, I think there's a few issues with the project as a whole.

1) Choosing an all-black design might have seemed like a great idea for this black-light deck, but it's not.  The biggest issue with black cards is that the paper they're printed on is white and when the edges start to chip (as all paper playing cards do), that white begins to show.  It's anywhere from somewhat to very noticeable under ordinary light, but under a black light, it stands out like needles in one's eyes.  Look at your own sample photos if you don't believe me.

2) Using Unicode ANYTHING for your court designs comes across as lazy.  No one said your courts had to be fancy, but using symbols I can conjure up from my keyboard comes across as phoning it in because you couldn't be bothered to be unique.  For a custom deck, that's the kiss of death.

2a) The custom pip arrangements aren't doing you any favors, either, but that might be more a personal preference.  It is, however, the kiss of death for selling to players who prefer a more traditional design and uniform pip sizes.  It reduces the playability factor.

3) Noir Arts is probably not your best choice for printer - I've not heard a single good review for them yet and their website is incomplete, at times incoherent and has material stolen from other websites.  I can name several others that would be better - and affordable.

4) In an age where "actor" and "pilot" are unisex terms, making His and Hers back that don't appear to have any real gender-specific purpose other than stereotypical color bias is likely to be viewed by some if not many as sexist.  Even worse, the designs are similar enough to each other to be easily confused with each other - only small variations in color make them different and the line work is identical.

5) Joker and "Toker" will make your deck more "420 friendly," but that's not going to do you any favors getting a larger audience, least of all, the largest segment of game players - children who have to ask their parents to buy KS decks for them because they're not old enough to have an account.

The fact that your project has a low goal will obviously work in your favor as far as meeting it should be easy enough.  Good luck to you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »

421creations

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thank you Mr. Boyer we will take your observations into consideration. I'm glad you were able to take the time to look at our designs. :D

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »

Sharkface

• Newcomer
I like 'em. Especially the colors! It's nice to see someone do something different with the "standard" playing card.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:49:20 PM by Sharkface »

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

421creations

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
We thank you for your support and wish you all a Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:22:40 PM by 421creations »