Storing and Displaying Your Collection

Author (Read 113846 times)

Re: How to build a $25 display case.
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I understand the desire to show off more than just the packaging, especially with the more artistic of the custom decks.  There may be a simple solution.

Have you considered one of those digital picture frames?  You know the type - they can be set to cycle through a library of prints that you load as image files into the device's memory.  You can snap photos of the cards you like from a particular deck along with the tuck box itself, leaving you with a rotating display of your favorites, then use the shadow boxes just for holding decks.

What do you think?

Thanks, that could be a good idea for some and maybe if I end up with tons of them.  However, I don't/won't end up with that many decks that I'll feel the need to display.  I'm thinking maybe 3-4 frames like what Sparkz posted should be enough in the space I have picked out for them.  I really like the idea of having a front loading case with shelves so I can easily swap them out if desired. 

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
However, I don't/won't end up with that many decks that I'll feel the need to display.

You sure about that?  :P I always plan to have lots of extra empty spaces/slots in my display...just in case.  ;)

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So I finally got around to finishing a few of my Hobby Lobby frames, not sure what direction I want to go as the collection grows, but happy with having what I have on display.

This is my little corner of the house, any of you who are married, have children or in a serious relationship know what I mean, lol

What Hobby Lobby frames did you use?  Wondering if they are front loading shadow boxes.  I looked at Michaels near me and all they had was a few smaller ones.  Hobby Lobby is a bit out of the way, but maybe it's worth it?

Thanks!

They are front loading frames. whether you get a small or big frame doesn't matter. If the sizes are divisible by 4, it should work(12x16, 16x20, etc) You might want to take a hand full of decks with you, when looking.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
So I finally got around to finishing a few of my Hobby Lobby frames, not sure what direction I want to go as the collection grows, but happy with having what I have on display.

This is my little corner of the house, any of you who are married, have children or in a serious relationship know what I mean, lol

What Hobby Lobby frames did you use?  Wondering if they are front loading shadow boxes.  I looked at Michaels near me and all they had was a few smaller ones.  Hobby Lobby is a bit out of the way, but maybe it's worth it?

Thanks!

I went to michaels at first and their front loading frames are smaller than what most people are posting on here.  So I returned the unused frame I purchased and I drove out of my way to go to Hobby Lobby to get the bigger front loading frames.  I like the Hobby Lobby frames better and it was a few bucks cheaper than michaels.  I got the Hobby Lobby frames for 50% off.  Working with both frames I would suggest Hobby Lobby frames.

Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

Thanks!

I went to michaels at first and their front loading frames are smaller than what most people are posting on here.  So I returned the unused frame I purchased and I drove out of my way to go to Hobby Lobby to get the bigger front loading frames.  I like the Hobby Lobby frames better and it was a few bucks cheaper than michaels.  I got the Hobby Lobby frames for 50% off.  Working with both frames I would suggest Hobby Lobby frames.

Thanks for the update.  I'll have to stop in at Hobby Lobby next time I'm near one - none in my city, but they are in cities I visit from time to time.  I am leaning towards just creating a custom set of exact sized display cases for my needs.  I have to create bar cabinets, in wall bookshelf and wall display case for my car model collection as part of my basement finishing anyhow so this would just be another as long as I have the table saw setup and have the help from father in law...then again, with as much work as that will all be it would be good to have the option to just buy something that works and get it over with!  I'll see if maybe what they have will work for what I need, thanks again.  I just need to quit buying decks before I run out of space before I even have the storage bought/built!!!!  ???

Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Better than my shoe boxes. Off to a thrift store I go.

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »

Seadragon

• Newcomer
  • I finished my last two years of high school at Rac
If this was covered I apologize, I went to a Hobby Lobby store here in KY and found a front load side hinged with clasp glass front 16"x20" case that will hold 30 decks and the are awesome. A big plus is that the Hobby Lobby stores will almost always have a half off these display cases at around $19.99 as compared to the same case other places at $39.99. here are a few pictures of some of the 6 cases I have.
Rick L. Rose

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
If this was covered I apologize, I went to a Hobby Lobby store here in KY and found a front load side hinged with clasp glass front 16"x20" case that will hold 30 decks and the are awesome. A big plus is that the Hobby Lobby stores will almost always have a half off these display cases at around $19.99 as compared to the same case other places at $39.99. here are a few pictures of some of the 6 cases I have.
These look great and you can't beat the price. Thanks for the info
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
@Seadragon, I assume you used a method similar to what is discussed in the thread linked below?  If you used other methods or have other tips it would be appreciated!  I'm leaning more and more to having at least a few of these created.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/how-to-build-a-$25-display-case/

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
When using the Hobby Lobby frames, has anybody tried removing the cushion backing first?  It's definitely a compression fit between the glass and the cards, not to mention this prevents the screws on the back from allowing the 'shelves' to make tight contact with the back.  I was thinking of using a razor blade to cut it out from the inside, but concerned they may have also used adhesive to keep it in place and it may end up being quite the mess.  I assume worst case I could shave all the padding out and replace the white fabric to cover up the mess, but hoping this has already been done and it's simple?

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
When using the Hobby Lobby frames, has anybody tried removing the cushion backing first?  It's definitely a compression fit between the glass and the cards, not to mention this prevents the screws on the back from allowing the 'shelves' to make tight contact with the back.  I was thinking of using a razor blade to cut it out from the inside, but concerned they may have also used adhesive to keep it in place and it may end up being quite the mess.  I assume worst case I could shave all the padding out and replace the white fabric to cover up the mess, but hoping this has already been done and it's simple?

hey ecNate, I've removed the backing on a couple. It should pull out, but it will leave some glue trails. Very simple to remove, The surface will need to be painted or covered because it is a little unfinished.............Good Luck!

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the input.  I took out the screws on the back and on my version of the HL frame anyhow it was simply a foam backing with fabric glued to it that was just screwed in with the backing, so the foam was able to be simply removed with no byproducts.  I am cutting the foam into strips to place on the edges and raise the back out at the same prior level which will then provide a more direct contact for the shelves while providing a bit more room for the decks.  The backing is brown so I'll just paint that with the shelves, although 98% of it will be covered by decks anyhow.

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the how-to Rob and input from all the others!  I picked up a pair of the Hobby Lobby shadow boxes a week ago and over the past week completed the modifications.  The permanent display wall isn't yet built and the temporary one in my office requires removing some unused furniture first, so photo of them on the ground it is!  This is most of my small collection, just missing some plain and a few custom decks that are used for play and the uncut sheets.  Not to mention the HUGE list still on the way from KS and other places.  Going to have to make some decisions or build more of these I fear.... ;)

A few extra comments on the build process if it helps others.  My local hardware store didn't have hardwood trim in the style presented so I had to use pine screen molding which is obviously a bit softer and has 2 rounded edges.  I had a heck of a time lining up the holes and this wood REQUIRED pre-drilling to prevent splitting.  I found the trick to be measuring out uniform holes and drilling those on the back of the frame (remember drill from the FRONT side to keep up appearances - back will have 'exit wounds'), then inserting the bottom row of screws and using them to 'score' each pre-cut and painted shelf by pressing it against this row.  In that way I could use it as a template for the pre-drilling into each shelf.  To screw in each shelf I then did each screw in order partially and could use the pre-drilled hole to find the proper position.  Given the VERY limited margin for error on such a thin board (1/4 inch is all it can handle, would have preferred to go with 1/2 inch) this was important and I still had a few minor deviations that will require touch up paint if I get OCD enough about it. Once filled though you really only see the front so not a big deal.  I also removed the foam backing to allow more depth for the decks without being pressed against the glass.  I also then cut that backing into strips and placed on the edges of the frame in back which pushed the back of the frame out a bit to allow the cards and shelves to sit just a little deeper.

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@Seadragon, I assume you used a method similar to what is discussed in the thread linked below?  If you used other methods or have other tips it would be appreciated!  I'm leaning more and more to having at least a few of these created.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/how-to-build-a-$25-display-case/

As you can now see, I've merged the topics together in the Source - it seemed appropriate to have the data all in one topic on one board, and this is the home of the best topics here.  Nothing is more basic to a collector than how to display his or her collection - besides, perhaps, how to store it, since few people can put EVERYTHING on display as their collection grows and grows and grows...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The never ending chase for the perfect display led me here, needs some touch up, but pretty much done.

More images on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008782424073
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:11:00 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
UPDATE:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:11:32 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Great display Tony.  Excellent work! 

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great display Tony.  Excellent work!

Thanks KD  :)

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Great display Tony, but some empty spots. Think you had better show up at Potter & Potter auction to fill the blank spaces!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great display Tony, but some empty spots. Think you had better show up at Potter & Potter auction to fill the blank spaces!

Thanks Tom, that would be a great place to do that, lol...........still working on freeing up some time to come out ;)

Card and tuck display
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 03:50:40 AM »

ryzellon

• Newcomer
For the folks who frequent both the PCF and UC boards, you may have already seen this, but for those who haven't: I wrote up a fairly detailed set of instructions on how I constructed a display to show off both a handful of cards and a tuck.

Here's a summary:
I open my decks because I collect cards for the cards. I want to display card faces, but I don't have the money or space for uncut sheets. The basic idea was to create a display to show off both cards and tuck from readily available materials at an affordable price.
  • The simplest display (10" x 18" that only holds cards) was assembled entirely from things found at the local hardware store and cost less than $10. The only tool required was a drill for the holes.
  • The larger display (14" x 10") was sized so that I could get two full displays out of a single sheet of 20" x 32" acrylic that was available at the hardware store. The cost of materials and hardware was close to $10 per display as well, but requires a plastic cutter (which is pretty darn cheap) in addition to a drill.
All in all, it's a fairly simply DIY project and an inexpensive way to display things in a fairly small space, but I'm still refining the design.

Re: Card and tuck display
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2014, 06:09:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
We have an awesome topic for such displays - I'm going to add this topic to that one.

Nice work!

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

ryzellon

• Newcomer
Glad you like it, Don.

Sorry about the location--I'd posted in the same forum where I found the $2 single-deck display stand thread.

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Glad you like it, Don.

Sorry about the location--I'd posted in the same forum where I found the $2 single-deck display stand thread.

This topic is pretty "mission-critical" and this board is the home of all things mission-critical.  It's actually set up so only admins can make a new topic here - most often we move the best topics from other boards here when they hit critical mass.

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I like those - cheap, easy to make and attractive!
Tom Dawson