Storing and Displaying Your Collection

Author (Read 113975 times)

Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For single card storage, I've seen the plastic card protectors that go in a 3 ring binder. Some of these say archival quality, but who knows. Is it certain types of plastics that are good, or is it a coating that makes it archival?
I've also seen the hard acrylic single card holders. In general are those ok to use, or some archival, some not?

In general, fir protecting cards individually as opposed to in a tuck box or as a whole deck, UltraPro is the industry standard used by collectors of sports and custom gaming cards.  Certain plastics have a chemical that can trigger premature decomposition of the paper, but UltraPro's products use a completely pH-neutral plastic.  Their products are easily spotted - they're all marked with holograms of the company name/logo.

I've used the hard acrylic holders myself - but I've used them with UltraPro card sleeves between the card and the acrylic.  Not only is it an easy fit but it makes later extraction of the card from the holder simpler, as the sleeve will usually extend just enough past the opening to allow one to pinch and pull the card out without even making contact with it.

In a previous lifetime, I was a collector of CCGs.  I actually had a friend who got into "Magic: the Gathering" back when First Edition was still for sale and Arabian Nights (the game's first expansion) had only just been released.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: How to build a $25 display case.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:55 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Just want to say thanks for posting the instructions for the card display.  Tonight I went to my local craft store and they did not have the same size you suggested so I had to get a slightly smaller size.  I posted a pic of what I have so far.

Since the frame is smaller I had to position the decks were they are stacked on each other and the wood is separating them on the side giving it a nice snug fit but the cards are not resting on the wood.

My question is do you think over time this may harm the cards?  I don't think it will but I wanted to make sure before I moved forward. 
What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't forsee any issues with having your cards like that. Most people store them resting on one side or another, and the bottom would be no different. Almost all of my decks are on shelves, resting on the bottom of the box.

Nice choices in there, btw ;)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I don't forsee any issues with having your cards like that. Most people store them resting on one side or another, and the bottom would be no different. Almost all of my decks are on shelves, resting on the bottom of the box.

Nice choices in there, btw ;)

Sounds good Thanks for your feedback. I purchased two frames so I will get started on the other one then. 

Your cards are in my top favorite cards of all time had to represent them in the frame :)  Your work is a big inspiration, I strive to get my deck completed and then one day my deck will be in collectors frames as well. (I hope)  :) 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

Duke Boy

I think I just found my weekend project.  The frames are even on sale this week.
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Just a small cabinet living its second life as a card display.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
That's a nice one. I like the angles of the shelf backs which gives a great view. We have found over the years that that old thread [spool] cabinets are pretty good with the shallow drawers. Here's one.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
There's a valuable new widget that's been developed - that you're well aware of but some may not be - that's a boon to antique and vintage deck collector.  Those new pack jackets are perfect and purpose-built for the preservation of playing cards, both in box and loose.  No collector - especially no vintage collector - should be without them.

The 52+ Joker (w/ help from the ECC) have their own Pack Jackets (members only).

What looks like black ink in the photo, is actually silver foil. They are pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:13:07 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I like the idea of re-purposing especially when it gives such a refined look as the cabinets you have there Tom. I found a cheap storage solution that works perfectly for playing cards. I see these cassette storage drawers almost every time I go in to goodwill and picked these up for three dollars. I will eventually paint them, but as they are on my closet shelves at the moment its not a priority. Like I said, they work perfectly. The slots are a perfect size and it keeps everything clean and organized as you can see in the photo.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I like the idea of re-purposing especially when it gives such a refined look as the cabinets you have there Tom. I found a cheap storage solution that works perfectly for playing cards. I see these cassette storage drawers almost every time I go in to goodwill and picked these up for three dollars. I will eventually paint them, but as they are on my closet shelves at the moment its not a priority. Like I said, they work perfectly. The slots are a perfect size and it keeps everything clean and organized as you can see in the photo.
That's a great idea Josh. We will be at our version of same - called variety village - here in Toronto tomorrow. These will be great for a lot of traders we have in cardboard cartons right now.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Those cassette drawers are awesome Josh. I'll definitely be on the lookout and try to snag a couple of those. As much as I like the shelving I have built to display my decks, I do need something that I can use to tuck other decks from my collection out of the way. Thanks for sharing that idea.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:14:30 PM by Curt »

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »

jupiter3

• 52 Plus Joker Member
"Barrister" style cabinets provide a great way to display parts of a collection.  Use "library" style glass to cut down on the UV rays that can get to the cards.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Those are great - and good advice re the special glass.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:52 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Did you find the 16 x 20 frame?  Where?
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I wouldn't even consider painting them!  They're not just a great way to hold your decks, but a reminder of 1970s and '80s design.  People love that retro look these days.  The plastic itself provides enough protection without needing a layer of paint or varnish, like you might use with wood.

Now I'm going to have to check out thrift stores for these.  It's also possible that old VHS cassette storage units would work - you might get as many as four decks in each cassette slot.

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »

Duke Boy

I found it at hobby lobby, I sent my wife on friday, they only had 2 and did not want to chance it, they even had it at the 50% off so I got it for the $17.50 too.  I could not find the same trim he used I found 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch shoe (rounded) that was a white composite plastic.  I liked the look of the white so did not have to paint it.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=664243606965326&set=pb.161635253892833.-2207520000.1390853308.&type=3&theater
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Looks good!  I couldn't find 16 x 20 front loading frame so I had to go with 14 x 18.  I think this week I am going to drive to a hobby lobby because the craft store down the street did not have 16 x 20. I want to build another one.  So the wood is acting as a divider of the decks on the sides of them and they are stacked on top of each other.  Still looks cool but could not fit as many decks in the frame.  Also I was concerned that the decks stacked on each other over time would harm the decks but the feedback I have received, I think it will be ok. 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I keep my marked card collection in an old repurposed library card catalog. This one is upright (and uncommon). It makes me happy just to look at it!

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »

jupiter3

• 52 Plus Joker Member
That's sweet !!  Those card catalogs are hard to find these days. 
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I keep my marked card collection in an old repurposed library card catalog. This one is upright (and uncommon). It makes me happy just to look at it!

I see similar units like this all the time for sale in antique stores $$$$$
Every time I see one. I think what the hell would someone use that for. DUH!
That is awesome. Judging from how many decks in the 1 drawer, looks like that would hold 800+ decks.
Are those plastic bags each deck is in? and where from? The bags look open. Any reason for that as opposed to folding over to semi-seal?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:05 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow, kudos to everyone....some great re-purposing of goods goin' on! Some really great ideas  :)

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I never fail to be impressed not just by the size of your collection, but the neat ways in which you store the decks!

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 05:51:26 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
a small collection of mine  ;)
storing and displaying all my decks in wood shelf and acrylic case  ;)

"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:10 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Wow, Some really great ideas here! I'm kicking myself for recycing my old cassette tape holders a couple years back. Ugh. Off to the goodwill store! LOL
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

WKalush

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

I see similar units like this all the time for sale in antique stores $$$$$
Every time I see one. I think what the hell would someone use that for. DUH!
That is awesome. Judging from how many decks in the 1 drawer, looks like that would hold 800+ decks.
Are those plastic bags each deck is in? and where from? The bags look open. Any reason for that as opposed to folding over to semi-seal?

Not every drawer is full. I think the collection is closer to 500 decks of marked cards but the cabinet could hold about 22 per drawer and my set has 56 drawers.
Do you see upright ones all the time? I see the regular ones that requires the decks be laid on their sides all the time but not ones like this. Either style works though.
I do use archival bags (from https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3103-trading-card-set-sleeves-25mil-polyethylene.aspx) and I don't seal them with tape or anything as I hate tape anywhere near my collection. If I just tuck them down they don't stay.

I also am using repurposed old pharmacy tobacco cabinets. This one has glass doors, perfect compartments for decks and a hidden, zinc lined compartment that keeps moisture out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:55:06 PM by WKalush »