You are Here:
Storing and Displaying Your Collection

Author (Read 113919 times)

Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »

Sburk49

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
I use these Little shadow boxes. No fabrication necessary. I just rotate the cards I display. Right now I'm feeling Black and White. :)

The box is something i made with a premade box, paint, and ad/gaff cards w/ mod podge.

And I measured, At full capacity, the box can hold 996 decks.

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I use these Little shadow boxes. No fabrication necessary. I just rotate the cards I display. Right now I'm feeling Black and White. :)

The box is something i made with a premade box, paint, and ad/gaff cards w/ mod podge.

So in other words, when you move, that box requires three movers or one Ah-nold?  :))

I just moved into a new apartment, bringing my entire collection (including donated decks that I give away at the hospital) of over 2,000 decks.  The largest of the boxes I transported contained 125 decks, and they were HEAVY.  Your box equals EIGHT of those large boxes!!!

How do you effectively access decks in there?  My largest boxes are flat and hold the cards side by side - no deck hiding under another deck anywhere, so any of the 125 decks can be just plucked out.  However, I don't have the space to lay those boxes out - I stack them, and the stuff on the bottom tends to stay on the bottom!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »

Sburk49

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

So in other words, when you move, that box requires three movers or one Ah-nold?  :))

I just moved into a new apartment, bringing my entire collection (including donated decks that I give away at the hospital) of over 2,000 decks.  The largest of the boxes I transported contained 125 decks, and they were HEAVY.  Your box equals EIGHT of those large boxes!!!

How do you effectively access decks in there?  My largest boxes are flat and hold the cards side by side - no deck hiding under another deck anywhere, so any of the 125 decks can be just plucked out.  However, I don't have the space to lay those boxes out - I stack them, and the stuff on the bottom tends to stay on the bottom!

1. I didnt think of the weight. You're right it's crazy heavy.

2. I don't EFFECTIVELY access the decks. It's that simple. Lol
Since my collection is still rather small, I am able to separate the practical decks from the ones I just want to save and look at. If you look at the pic you'll see what I mean.

But I like having to remove decks to get to others. It MAKES me rediscover and appreciate all of em. Feel me?

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

But I like having to remove decks to get to others. It MAKES me rediscover and appreciate all of em. Feel me?

That's an interesting point.  It would be difficult for me to work with, though.  I have slack time at work, slack enough that I can play some solitaire or practice some sleight of hand - I typically like to grab a dozen decks or so to take to work with me.  Your model would make finding a new variety of decks to be a little more physical labor than I typically have time for as I'm prepping to run out the door.  But if it works for you - HUA!

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
The "Carat" acrylic deck display cases are awesome.  Starting at $8 a pop.

Available here:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=8569.0

(Pictures below by Kai.)

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member

2. I don't EFFECTIVELY access the decks. It's that simple. Lol
Since my collection is still rather small, I am able to separate the practical decks from the ones I just want to save and look at. If you look at the pic you'll see what I mean.

Impressive :) But I wouldn't call 996 decks a small collection :D

« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
I've got nooks in the game room that I'm filling. Here's the top half of the first nook.

I'm doing some rearranging because I decided to try the Bee promo boxes up there. That idea is still up in the air.

Edit: I do effectively access them.  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:41:23 PM by skinny »

« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I really enjoy seeing how everybody stores/displays their respective collections.. my dream is to eventually find just the right antique display cabinet for my collection..but until then.. I
Thought i'd show how i store/display my collection.. well PART of it ..lol.. I had this custom made.. 12 drawers on smooth ball bearing sliding rails. depending on how i display my cards.. each drawer could hold 125-150 decks..which the bottom 4 drawers are holding at the moment.. All these addictive kickstarter decks are slowly eating up my vintage space.. :-). The cabinet weighs a ton, but is good and sturdy and a nice way to store and display my collection..

Deck Displays
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
New to the forum and woud like some ideas on how you display your decks.

I am currently using frames from Collectable Playing Cards. Are there any others available?
Mike Quinn

Re: Deck Displays
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hello there! The possibilities are endless when it comes to displaying your playing cards. I think it's part of the fun of collecting, coming up with new things that suit my needs for showing a few of my favorites. There is a thread here on the forum with some outstanding ideas.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Deck Displays
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2015, 01:14:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello there! The possibilities are endless when it comes to displaying your playing cards. I think it's part of the fun of collecting, coming up with new things that suit my needs for showing a few of my favorites. There is a thread here on the forum with some outstanding ideas.

I merged it into the topic on displays in The Source - Card Collecting 101.

« Reply #136 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »

Cardini

• The Anonymous Rando!
I've always wanted to build something like this: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/secret-locks-and-compartments-woodworking-magic-tricks/ to store gaffs and packet tricks.

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2016, 01:09:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've always wanted to build something like this: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/secret-locks-and-compartments-woodworking-magic-tricks/ to store gaffs and packet tricks.

Gaff and packet tricks are often the kinds of things you want to keep secret.  While a puzzle box is cool (and could be a great prop for other tricks, like card to impossible place), it might not be best for that kind of stuff.  At the least, it's not exactly pocket-sized...

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »

Cardini

• The Anonymous Rando!
Not for carrying around, but for storage. I mean, sure, you can keep them locked in a filing cabinet, but what's the fun in that? A nondescript box with a hidden magnetic catch, or a drawer with a false bottom would be way cooler. I would also take "hidden nook cut into the drywall behind a painting" as an acceptable answer.

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2016, 05:28:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Not for carrying around, but for storage. I mean, sure, you can keep them locked in a filing cabinet, but what's the fun in that? A nondescript box with a hidden magnetic catch, or a drawer with a false bottom would be way cooler. I would also take "hidden nook cut into the drywall behind a painting" as an acceptable answer.

A locked briefcase does the job rather well, actually...  I even have a pair of black handcuffs with the long chain, for security purposes...  :))

« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

Crazy Gizmo

I store my sealed decks in $25 bank penny boxes same size as a standard brick box holds an even dozen. These boxes are stronger and sturdier plus realitivly cheap on Ebay.
I like the smaller boxes so i can organize the cards by category easier.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:24:52 PM by Crazy Gizmo »

It's Time
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
With all the cards I have collected it has become a reality that there must be a better way to display.
So with card frames, display cases, boxes, drawers, book shelves, and many other ideas I've seen. I think the time has come a good display setup needs to be done. If I gave you a magic wand and said create your perfect display. What would it be?
Mike Quinn

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »

Chuqii

• Standard Moderators
  • Discourse Veteran
So I bought this 1930s secretary with some drawers that I am going to use to store some of collections.  I want to place the decks in the drawers, but don't want them to slip around.  Any recommendations on a type of archival material I can use to line the bottom of the drawer so they will won't move around when I open and close the drawers?

Here'sa  pic of the secretary with one of the drawers open.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

Re: It's Time
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'd have a wall of cubby holes like Zeus did for his figurines in the 1981 Clash of the Titans.

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »

quinn1295

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Cubby holes would be a dream.
Mike Quinn

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I bought this 1930s secretary with some drawers that I am going to use to store some of collections.  I want to place the decks in the drawers, but don't want them to slip around.  Any recommendations on a type of archival material I can use to line the bottom of the drawer so they will won't move around when I open and close the drawers?

Here'sa  pic of the secretary with one of the drawers open.

I'd use either the type of cardboard used in collector boxes for sports cards or perhaps some custom-cut sections of foam rubber of the type often used in camera cases.  The foam would look a lot classier, for sure, and you could make shapes custom to the decks you're storing with more ease.  To make it classier still, you could even cover the foam with velvet, making it look more like a presentation display than a simple drawer.

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
With all the cards I have collected it has become a reality that there must be a better way to display.
So with card frames, display cases, boxes, drawers, book shelves, and many other ideas I've seen. I think the time has come a good display setup needs to be done. If I gave you a magic wand and said create your perfect display. What would it be?

I've merged your topic with an existing one on the best ways to display and store one's collection.  Have fun reading through the older posts!

« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

akicer

Using acrylic boxes now for some of my most favorite decks, but these boxes are actually expensive...  I was really thinking of making some wood boxes by myself, just wanna know if some of you have any recommendations? >50 decks are heavy and hard to hang on wall..

« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Hi everyone!

... Love this topic - so many creative ideas!

It took me a long time to develop a display system that I was happy with.  I finally settled on using media storage shelves from Prepac (for CDs and DVDs). they are very reasonably priced and come in a variety of sizes and configurations.  I gave up on bookshelves because the shelves are generally too deep to effectively display small items like cards.

I also use acrylic (plastic?) deck boxes, top-loaders and card stands for my antique cards (left of the TV). For the modern decks (on the right), I just put them directly on the card stands. 

I hope I can inspire others as they have inspired me! ... If anyone wants more info about the hardware, let me know!  Everything is available from Amazon!

Kruser

PS. This week, some repairmen stopped by to look at my furnace.  They saw my card display and were totally blown away!  We ended up talking about card collecting for almost 45 minutes... long enough that they were late for their next service call!  :)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:56:32 PM by Kruser »
"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
PS. This week, some repairmen stopped by to look at my furnace.  They saw my card display and were totally blown away!  We ended up talking about card collecting for almost 45 minutes... long enough that they were late for their next service call!  :)

Those look fantastic. I like how you've set them up higher than the floor, quite nice. Great Godzilla box set btw.

Haha, I know how that goes. I always find it interesting how playing cards are instantly relatable and that people have so many stories they want to share as they're asking questions about decks.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)