Tapatalk, mobile forum plugin

Author (Read 10859 times)

Tapatalk, mobile forum plugin
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
It looks like this has been brought up a few times, but no response and threads locked.  Just wondering if that will happen?  Most if the other forums I am on use it and it sure makes it easier to keep up with them all in one place.  Thanks for the consideration.

http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf

Re: Tapatalk, mobile forum plugin
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It looks like this has been brought up a few times, but no response and threads locked.  Just wondering if that will happen?  Most if the other forums I am on use it and it sure makes it easier to keep up with them all in one place.  Thanks for the consideration.

We've been checking into it, but we have a few other items that are taking priority at the moment.  I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »

fenderdemon

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Raymond Williams

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
uote author=Don Boyer link=topic=6510.msg97130#msg97130 date=1399003817]
[quality uote author=ecNate link=topic=6510.msg97126#msg97126 date=1399002081]

[/quote]

We've been checking into it, but we have a few other items that are taking priority at the moment.  I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you...  :))
[/quote]

I realise this thread is over a year old, however, has any decision been made into making this a 'Tapatalk enabled forum', for want of a better expression?

It's so much easier for members who enjoy multiple forums, under one roof, so to speak. 

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 01:00:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I realise this thread is over a year old, however, has any decision been made into making this a 'Tapatalk enabled forum', for want of a better expression?

It's so much easier for members who enjoy multiple forums, under one roof, so to speak.

Tapatalk sounds great, but there's a few hurdles that need to be crossed first.

1) We're a volunteer organization - we work for no pay here.  Someone has to perform the installation, someone with just a little more technical expertise than I have.  Our tech guy isn't always available - he probably would be more available if the pay was better.  So, unless you're volunteering to join the tech staff (and you have the necessary expertise), we have to work with the limited resources we have.

2) The branding might be an issue.  Free setups for Tapatalk co-brand with Tapatalk, while removing their branding costs money - a monthly fee.  Not a lot, granted, but the money has to come from somewhere and we don't charge membership fees.  We already have the operating expenses of the forum to consider, which are coming out of the owner's pocket at the moment.  We have some income from the sales of advertisements, but it's not a lot.  The owner of the forum, Tom Dawson, would have to be on board with either the co-branding or paying the cash to eliminate co-branding.

3) Of our ten-thousand-plus member accounts, less than one-twentieth of one percent (<0.05%) have requested this feature.  Other features have a higher demand and in some cases can potentially generate income for the forum, i.e., the capability to run auctions in a similar manner to eBay, an updated layout/interface, etc.  We have to put our limited resources where the demand is greatest.

4) At the pace at which mobile technology is improving, in just a short time, Tapatalk will become redundant because mobile devices will have larger screens, higher screen resolution, more memory, faster data connections, better browsers and more powerful processors.  I access the forum occasionally by using a two-year-old phone and while the experience is hardly perfect, it is surprisingly functional.

I would say that #3 is the biggest stumbling block, with #1 running a close second.  #4 renders all of the other hurdles moot.  If you know of ways to overcome these hurdles - or at least the first three, for now - by all means, let us know.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »

fenderdemon

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Raymond Williams

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Tapatalk sounds great, but there's a few hurdles that need to be crossed first.

1) We're a volunteer organization - we work for no pay here.  Someone has to perform the installation, someone with just a little more technical expertise than I have.  Our tech guy isn't always available - he probably would be more available if the pay was better.  So, unless you're volunteering to join the tech staff (and you have the necessary expertise), we have to work with the limited resources we have.

2) The branding might be an issue.  Free setups for Tapatalk co-brand with Tapatalk, while removing their branding costs money - a monthly fee.  Not a lot, granted, but the money has to come from somewhere and we don't charge membership fees.  We already have the operating expenses of the forum to consider, which are coming out of the owner's pocket at the moment.  We have some income from the sales of advertisements, but it's not a lot.  The owner of the forum, Tom Dawson, would have to be on board with either the co-branding or paying the cash to eliminate co-branding.

3) Of our ten-thousand-plus member accounts, less than one-twentieth of one percent (<0.05%) have requested this feature.  Other features have a higher demand and in some cases can potentially generate income for the forum, i.e., the capability to run auctions in a similar manner to eBay, an updated layout/interface, etc.  We have to put our limited resources where the demand is greatest.

4) At the pace at which mobile technology is improving, in just a short time, Tapatalk will become redundant because mobile devices will have larger screens, higher screen resolution, more memory, faster data connections, better browsers and more powerful processors.  I access the forum occasionally by using a two-year-old phone and while the experience is hardly perfect, it is surprisingly functional.

I would say that #3 is the biggest stumbling block, with #1 running a close second.  #4 renders all of the other hurdles moot.  If you know of ways to overcome these hurdles - or at least the first three, for now - by all means, let us know.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Don.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the 'behind-the-scenes' running of a website with respect to Tapatalk, so that rules me out! 😉

I appreciate everything you've mentioned!