You are Here:
The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!

Author (Read 15940 times)

Re: The Discourse has a new owner, and you’re going to LOVE it!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
My apologies for not making everything clear. We would love to have you as a UK member. As Tom said, 20% of the 52+ membership is not located in America. Hell, Tom and I are both in Canada!

I simply wanted to show you the UK options, that's all.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
This should be fantastic. Definitely looking forward to what the future holds for this forum with such knowledgeable individuals hopping aboard. I feel the addition of experts in vintage playing cards is what will truly take this forum to the next level.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Hi everyone who has posted a great welcome note. They are much appreciated. Like most people probably would have, I entered into this with some trepidation and concern that it wouldn't be seen positively. Can see that that fear was completely misplaced!

I don't think this community could be more excited or grateful to be a part of this. I can't see any way for this relationship to work out but marvelously!
I've only been a part of this forum for a short time and have gotten an incredibly warm welcome from an amazing community of artists, cardists, magicians and collectors; people who are truly fans on one or all levels of the playing card world and I know that everyone here is as excited as a kid in a candy shop to hear this news!
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Judy, Tom, Lee - Like a few other members that have posted here, I am still relatively new to the world of card collecting and the intricacies of the playing card business.  That being said, in the brief time I've been involved, I have seen all of your names numerous times and always in a flattering light.  This is exceptional news!!!  The depth and breadth of understanding and knowledge the discourse team emits is unsurpassed in this type of forum, and now it seems to have just increased exponentially.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums and can't wait to see what you have in store for the future!

-B
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I'm very excited that the cat is out of the bag  :D Congratulations and Welcome to Tom, Judy, Lee! The Discourse is in great hands :)

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Glad to see everyone is excited about this as I was anticipating! I am really looking forward to the future here at the Discourse, great news!

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Again, thank you guys for making us feel so welcome. It means a lot.

Question for you Tom (and lee) ever considered a 52 plus joker for the Uk? :)

Great question. While the 52+ Joker is the American club, you can join the English Playing Card Society as well as the International Playing Card Society. Both are based in the UK.  Pretty much all the playing card orgs. are friendly, and work together on events & projects.

Now that you have me thinking out loud... Maybe I can woo Christian de Ryck and/or John Sings (exec. board members of the IPCS) to come over here and talk with everyone about the UK orgs.? I'm putting it on my to-do list.

Thanks again for asking your question. Hope that helps!

Ah yes, I'm vaguely familiar with wopc.

A little off topic, but here's a link that I think should be watched http://youtu.be/oQ6uhCIaKQA a deep insight into the secrets of the playing card
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
My apologies for not making everything clear. We would love to have you as a UK member. As Tom said, 20% of the 52+ membership is not located in America. Hell, Tom and I are both in Canada!

I simply wanted to show you the UK options, that's all.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
I was just poking a bit of fun, Lee. Probably should've put a sarcasm tag in there somewhere  :P
- Tom

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
A little off topic, but here's a link that I think should be watched http://youtu.be/oQ6uhCIaKQA a deep insight into the secrets of the playing card

Great documentary! The first two guys you see speaking are Yasha Beresiner and Gejus van Diggele. Both are members of the 52+ Joker, as well as the IPCS.

In 2009, I was fortunate enough to see Gejus speak about secondary use playing cards, and sit next to him at the banquet the following year in New Orleans. He's a fan of sleight of hand, and an all-around nice guy. The same goes for Yasha.

As members of the 52, they will be notified about Tom purchasing the Discourse. Maybe if we're lucky, they might come play with us!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:57:36 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I'm rather new at collecting playing cards, so I don't know any of you personally, but I've heard nothing but praise.
Congratulations, and welcome.

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Do you hear that?  Just listen.  It's a gentle wind blowing toward the Discourse at this moment...

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Do you hear that?  Just listen.  It's a gentle wind blowing toward the Discourse at this moment...

Did you fart on us?

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Think I prefer a gentle wind - but might not notice the difference in the sub-zero temps here in Toronto.

Did you fart on us?
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Looks like I'm breaking hiatus then.
Really happy about this! Having Lee as an Admin as well is crazy :D

Best of luck to you all :)

-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
So exciting to see the experienced collecting community connecting with modern card design culture!

Is this not rather significant? For us ,largely, modern collectors and designers to broaden our historical knowledge of the art and craft of the making of playing cards will surely be essential to us fully appreciating our part in its ongoing legacy.

I've seen decks from the new design and production scene appear with greater frequency in society journals over the last few years but attending a meeting with the IPCS and WCMPC recently made me think that the vintage and modern collecting communities are still hugely separate, despite their common interest.

This news has made me quite a bit more optimistic that we may become one community which would be truly excellent!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:37:27 PM by Robert Adams »

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well this is a welcome change.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Badpete69 - Your so bad.  I was trying to sound optimistic, but I must respond to your insult:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBUl7oT9sA or I will taunt you a second time.

Edit:  Sorry, 52plusjoker, but this is to be expected.  We are a family here.     
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:36:57 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
Congratulations!

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So yeah, I don't think there's a better fit for who to pass the torch to!

I'll be sticking around as long as I have time to do any staffing/moderation as needed, as well as some back end stuff, for as long as I have time to log in each day and do that!

Being the only gold member here certainly is fun too, I have no idea why I didn't use that color before when we just had an Admin rank. 8]

@Sprouts: Don't think you're off the hook just because we have new owners. You are still on a leash, behind a fence, quarantined on an island called the Lolaq with all your insanity. >_>
Forum Founder.

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Tom and Judy welcome!
Also welcome to the boards Lee, long time no talk. Awesome to have you here as well as the new owners!

- James
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Think I prefer a gentle wind - but might not notice the difference in the sub-zero temps here in Toronto.

Welcome! And it's great to see more Torontoians here! I'm looking forward to a lot of the interesting things I'm sure are to come.

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Fabulous news for TheDiscourse. I'm a huge fan of Lee Asher and am astound with what Tom Dawson has in store for this site. With Lee actually on the site now, we'll have someone to confirm those Jerry Nugget releases that happen every year. ;)
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Fantastic turn of events.  What a wealth of knowledge unleashed on the Discourse.  I agree, the melding of vintage and new deck collectors will help to cultivate the hobby I enjoy.  Kudos Alex on all your efforts in getting this forum to the place it is today.  I know we are in good hands.

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
ABSOLUTELY GREAT NEWS! Also having Lee Asher hear too is equally awesome. Can't wait to see what the future has. AWESOME!

You make me blush! Thanks Mr. Robinson.

Let the fun begin!

WOAH.

This was quite a shock. It's awesome to have a magician of your caliber on board!

I'll miss Alex, but it's great to see that the new management knows their stuff!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Tom, Judy & Lee- Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.

A special thanks to Alex for creating a place were everyone is welcome- magicians, cardist, poker players, long time collectors, and people just getting started. We have a great forum here because of the work Alex has done. So thank you.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB