Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Imagine, a deck release that DOESN'T USE KICKSTARTER! The horror!  The insanity!  :P

In an effort to try new things, I have a new project that you can read a little bit about on my updated site. http://encarded.com/pages/encarded-signature-series

The collectors out there will probably find it interesting that this will be the first independently designed deck to use the Expert Playing Card Company for the printing. The CARC Exquisite deck came out amazing, IMO, and Zenith will use the same magic formula (but of course with all the design and luxury features I love to explore). Using EPCC means I can do small runs of unique ideas and I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

Discuss away!

Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Anti-KS : Encarded Zenith
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Hey Paul

Ok let's do it  put them up for sale now  I am ready to buy hehe.  I love the expert playing card company.  So when can we expect them?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Love it, love EPCC, when can we expect some of these puppies??

Doing great things Paul!
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Awesome! I've been waiting for this one to come out.

Jackson
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »

splice42

• True Member
I mean, I'd like to comment, but those "modern cutting-edge super closeup angleshots" make it real difficult to tell what the whole card looks like.

I like the EPCC Exquisites, so if it's the same stock, nice. But I have no idea of what your cards really look like, so, yeah.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very nice!

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think it's great your stepping outside the KS box Paul, can't wait to see more of the card design.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I like the idea for many reasons.
1- a new deck from Encarded it's great news.
2- USPCC must have a competitor. When there's competition, there's progress, new ideas, new offers. The playing card world deserves a healthy competition;
3- Having a real limited edition is great. Lately we see decks "ultra limited" with a 5000 run;
4- Love the idea of numbering the decks. That is proper of a limited edition.
5- That can also means a lower cost of production, so we may expect lower prices (?).

I'm anxious to see more pictures.

keep up the good work.

Enthusiast collector

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
To answer some questions, it will hopefully be "soon." We are proofing things now, and I hope for a release in the near future, as opposed to months from now. These will be on encarded.com exclusively.

I will release more images, the story, the design motivations, etc as we move along.

Being able to print only 1,000 decks is only possible with EPCC, but as with any kind of printing anywhere, lower volume = higher costs. EPCC still would prefer you do 5,000+ decks of course, they just don't put you through the ringer as much if you want less. Printing with EPCC makes the costs manageable, but don't expect a limited run of only 1,000 decks with metallic inks, embossing, holographic foils and custom seals to be $5. :)

I think this will be a very exciting release, bringing EPCC into the light a little more. And as with everything I do, it's quite a bit different from my previous decks. I was looking at the face proof yesterday and the art is just so tight on those edges. Lovely. (I already have signature series #2 in the design pipeline and those 3mm perfect borders let you do some wild things...)
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Loved the Exquisites, love Encarded, love those courts.

I think you have a winner here, Paul :D
- Tom

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Bill Kalush mentioned that he was looking to expand Expert to do just this kind of work - glad to see that you're the first to take the plunge!  I think you'll be very pleased.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I'm very excited for this.   :D I haven't handled cards from EPCC,  so I  can't say anything in regards to quality (anyways,  it looks like EPCC is well liked based on the responses,  so no problems there)  but I'm sure the card designs will be awesome as always,  so I'm very much looking forward to this.  :)

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Bill Kalush and all the folks at CARC and EPCC are awesome; I can't wait to see what you unveil Paul!

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Loved the Exquisites, love Encarded, love those courts.

I think you have a winner here, Paul :D

Took the words right out of my mouth. 
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I really like you work! I cant wait to see more!  The sneak peak you have given looks great!  I hope to get my hands on a deck!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »

sqratch

• Newcomer
Like what I see so far..

I like the idea to use a different printer for some stuff.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I'm very excited for this.   :D I haven't handled cards from EPCC,  so I  can't say anything in regards to quality (anyways,  it looks like EPCC is well liked based on the responses,  so no problems there)  but I'm sure the card designs will be awesome as always,  so I'm very much looking forward to this.  :)

You can still pick up the Exquisite deck from CARC which is an EPCC deck. Handles great.

But excellent news, Paul. I guess the only thing is to wait and make sure to at least buy a deck.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
who do i gotta kill to get these???

side note: I'm actually not a huge fan of the way EPCC decks handle. They're certainly not bad, but in general I think USPCC decks handle better (comparing custom USPCC decks to the Legends and Exquisites). Maybe I'm just more used to them, who knows. Either way I'm a huge fan of everything Encarded puts out so I can't wait for these.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm actually not a huge fan of the way EPCC decks handle. They're certainly not bad, but in general I think USPCC decks handle better (comparing custom USPCC decks to the Legends and Exquisites). Maybe I'm just more used to them, who knows. Either way I'm a huge fan of everything Encarded puts out so I can't wait for these.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but the difference between the Global Titans and Exquisite (for me) is massive. I'm not a magician personally, just a collector - but the latter felt absolutely amazing and I can see why it's getting rave reviews.

Looking forward to this Paul.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey Paul.  I went to the page you linked and at the bottom, tried to subscribe to the newsletter.  Got this:

Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot.
You've stumbled upon a missing page, but the evidence is elementary. We're on the case.

Just FYI. 

Can't wait for the signature series, BTW!

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey Paul.  I went to the page you linked and at the bottom, tried to subscribe to the newsletter.  Got this:

Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot.
You've stumbled upon a missing page, but the evidence is elementary. We're on the case.

Just FYI. 

Can't wait for the signature series, BTW!

Thanks Princess, I'll check it out and get it fixed.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Also very excited to see more. Also unable to subscribe. Also hoping that competition makes USPCC hone their edges and tighten their game a bit; maybe a challenger for the crown will have them lowering prices or adding new tools to their belts? I won't stop being their fanboy but I wouldn't mind them sweating it out a little if it benefits us.

All I hear about are the Exquisites, do EPCCs other decks have any merits?
Will the stock for this deck be the same as the Exquisites?
How thin can they get their borders?? ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:30:24 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Also very excited to see more. Also unable to subscribe. Also hoping that competition makes USPCC hone their edges and tighten their game a bit; maybe a challenger for the crown will have them lowering prices or adding new tools to their belts? I won't stop being their fanboy but I wouldn't mind them sweating it out a little if it benefits us.

All I hear about are the Exquisites, do EPCCs other decks have any merits?
Will the stock for this deck be the same as the Exquisites?
How thin can they get their borders?? ;)

The list subscribe is fixed, I had it pointed at the wrong list. Thanks for catching that!

EPCC has worked with their printer for a while now, refining many aspects of the cards and finishes and the Exquisite is the latest and best. I've had an Exquisite for a long while now and played with it extensively and I think it holds up and handles as well as any of my Bee+Magic decks from USPCC, though they do feel "different."

I love USPCC too, and will continue to use them for certain projects, but EPCC offers much more flexibility for certain projects.

Fun fact, EPCC currently looks for borders at 3mm. That is quite small, and USPCC managed that with Aurum. However, EPCC has excellent cutting registration, quite a bit more predictable than USPCC, which adds up to a very nice border effect and alignment throughout the deck.

Of course, Zenith has no border at all.... :P (though the unique design is such that proper alignment is critical)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I really like what I see. Can't wait to see more. Love the fact that people are using "signature series". I expect big things if your putting your name on it. No need to call it something extravagant. Let the design do the talking for you.

I'm a little confused about using EPCC. I thought EPCC was using the Taiwanese manufacture now? I agree there is a huge difference between the Shanghai manufacture and Taiwanese. What are we talking about?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:24:38 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I'm a little confused about using EPCC. I thought EPCC was using the Taiwanese manufacture now? I agree there is a huge difference between the Shanghai manufacture and Taiwanese. What are we talking about?

From what I understand EPCC finds companies from around the world to print high quality cards. So they use different factories for different wants/needs. I don't think EPCC "stopped" using the Shanghai printer, just hasn't used them since Global Titan. In Paul's case I would like to think he is using the Taiwan factory since he mentions Exquisite, which came out of the factory.

If anyone knows if this isn't the correct information, feel free to correct me :).
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos