You are Here:
Keeping track of your collection . . .

Author (Read 4619 times)

Keeping track of your collection . . .
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
Was just curious to see how you all keep track of your collections . . . as mine grows, I've adapted my book collection software to my card collection.

Have a look.

Anyone else have a piece of software they use?

-pmk

Re: Keeping track of your collection . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I just use a spreadsheet to track my 800+ plus decks. Each deck is tracked with the box number it is stored in 

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »

pmkane

• Facebook:
800+ . . . wow!! I'd love a look at that!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That's pretty sharp Paul, didn't even dawn on me to use a Book Collection program. Looks like it lends itself well to Playing Cards. I have a custom spread sheet I use, it's not bad, but it's not great, lol. I might need to give your Book idea a look  ;)

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »

pmkane

• Facebook:
The program I use is called Collectorz . . . my version is 9.0, but I think they are to 11 now . . . really great piece of software that allows me to sync my collection up with my iPhone - which is useful for when I am out and about and see something I may or may not have.

-pmk

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The program I use is called Collectorz . . . my version is 9.0, but I think they are to 11 now . . . really great piece of software that allows me to sync my collection up with my iPhone - which is useful for when I am out and about and see something I may or may not have.

-pmk

I'll have to check it out Paul, thanks!

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I personally don't use software but I do use a spreadsheet on excel to keep track of my collection of over 1,100 decks.  :)
- Adam

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »

pmkane

• Facebook:
1,100?? I've seriously gotta step up my game!

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
lol It takes time. I remember feeling the same way when I only had a handful of decks and everybody else had hundreds. In the end though it doesn't matter how many you have. All that matters is that you have a collection of playing cards that you love and adore. Every deck tells a story.
- Adam

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »

jupiter3

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I've started porting my Excel spreadsheet into Access.  The spreadsheet got so big that it took too long to scrool down to the bottom, but I also lost the "big picture" and could no longer see any trends or commonalities across the sheet.

Jim
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

On a recent thread Bill Kalush noted he believes he has somewhere in the ballpark of 25,000 decks :)
Remember though, it's not the size of the collection that counts, it's how you use it.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I don't know how to use html code... but I would love to have a blogger site like this to track my decks

http://bottlecaptors.blogspot.ca/

I really like the way the pictures flip when you point at them (I'd have the back of the decks on the flipside obviously)

Anyone willing to help me figure this out??
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I don't know how to use html code... but I would love to have a blogger site like this to track my decks

I really like the way the pictures flip when you point at them (I'd have the back of the decks on the flipside obviously)

CBJ

That's actually one of the templates for Blogger. If you've got a blogger account, just go to design when you're on your actually blog and that design is one of the dynamic views layout. So even though I didn't have to design it from scratch, do I still get paid?  :D

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
For mac Delicious is a useful tool for organizing and cataloging about any and everything you want.

http://delicious-monster.com/

Ive also heard good things about StuffSafe. Its cloud based so you can access your collection anywhere. http://www.stuffsafe.com/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:40:14 PM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
For mac Delicious is a useful tool for organizing and cataloging about any and everything you want.

Looks interesting, might be a pretty cool option. I'll check it out when I get some free time. Thanks!

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Ive also heard good things about StuffSafe. Its cloud based so you can access your collection anywhere. http://www.stuffsafe.com/

I have a mac,  so thanks for these.  I'll check them out.  Right now I'm using a spreadsheet.  I haven't updated it in a while,  though...

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Some interesting ideas here. I've been using a spreadsheet, and I believe the 52 Plus Joker group also offers a spreadsheet you can download.

I like the idea of an app that syns with a website, very similar to my movie collection software.
The matching app to this website works very well:   http://c.mymovies.dk/jwats01

Hmmm.... time to do a little research!

Thanks for bringing this up Paul!
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Delicious Library is hard to beat. It has a corresponding app for phone use and backs up to the cloud as well. The database is sql which is lite and fast. I advise staying away from Access at all cost. I know that delicious allows import of data without duplicates, so you can reimport the same excel or delimitated file over and over again and it will only update the changes not sure about stuff safe ive never used it.

I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Was just curious to see how you all keep track of your collections . . . as mine grows, I've adapted my book collection software to my card collection.

Have a look.

Anyone else have a piece of software they use?

-pmk

Paul,

Do you add the pictures of the decks manually, or are you using the mobile app and scanning the barcode when available?
LOL. I realized after I wrote the above that very few decks have bar codes. I guess you are scanning the decks in?

The more I think about this, the more I realize I definitely want two things:
1. Pictures of the decks. At least the tuck box.
2. Mobile capability + web presence.

I spent a couple hours looking at this last night. Not a lot of options purpose built for playing cards. What to do... what to do...

Thanks,
James
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:11:02 AM by jwats01 »
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 05:39:56 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Or if you wanted to use a Wordpress blog, you could get this:
http://codecanyon.net/item/flipping-cards-3d-wordpress/full_screen_preview/4135044

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »

pmkane

• Facebook:
I took a shot of each deck with an iPhone . . . used plain copy paper as a backdrop and another piece to reflect light back to minimize shadows (the control-freak, photographer in me kicking in). I store the images in the same directory as the database. The software is pretty well suited for this type of collection, allowing you to store multiple images of the deck (or book). Some of the solutions I've been reading about in this thread look amazing, too . . . I've found something that works, but that doesn't mean its the best solution. Love the input we're getting . . . might have to fool around with that Wordpress one . . . all good!!

-pmk

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm glad you started this thread Paul. I've been wondering about this topic but hadn't posted about it yet, (I had it on a mental list to search and see if anyone had previously discussed it, but never got around to it)

I'm excited about the ideas showing up here. I want to integrate the 52 Plus joker columns with whatever solution I choose in the end. If I can't find software with a mobile app, I'll likely go with one of the wordpress routes. Although... this gives me ideas to upgrade my site!

Exciting times ahead! Thanks again everyone!

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
The Book Collector software has changed the way I keep up with my collection. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:28:58 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm glad you started this thread Paul. I've been wondering about this topic but hadn't posted about it yet, (I had it on a mental list to search and see if anyone had previously discussed it, but never got around to it)

OMG. I can't believe i didn't start this thread. I also kept having it in my mind to check this out but always seem to slip my mind at the end. Thanks Paul!!! Your thread ended up with so many good inputs and ideas. So many that i don't know which 1 i should try...but i probably go with the delicious monster 1st since i am using a mac as well.

Just curious, what kind of other information do you guys input in your list for each deck as well? Name distributor and quantity is the common one. But anything else we should be having? Also, can we start a thread to have all this information so that members can update their list?

What i mean is my current excel list have "Name of deck", "distributor", "designer", "brand", "availability" (quantity printed), "date of release".
I also have "card stock" "printing company" "printing finish" "quantity" "cost per deck" (subdivided into unit cost, discount, air freight, average cost, estimated retail price). I gave up on card stock and printing finish as either (a) information is hard to find, or (b) what is stated might not be what it actually is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:24:13 PM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:12 AM »

pmkane

• Facebook:
Really glad everyone seems to be getting a lot out of this thread . . . haven't had a chance to check out the responses in a while as I am deep into production on Foto Grafis!

Some of the things I list with my decks is if they are still sealed or opened. Purchase Price and a "Seen on eBay Price" - that last one is a range of prices - for instance, the Rarebit deck goes from between $75.00 and $150 - while that is just an asking price, it shows the potential value in the deck. Serial numbers if there are any (Fed 52, Part 2 for example) . . . in the notes section, I'll also list if any items came with the deck - coins, poker chips, post cards and the like.

what else do you guys list?

-pmk