You are Here:
Playing Card Auction - January to March 2014

Author (Read 3816 times)

Playing Card Auction - January to March 2014
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hi everyone
The premier American Playing Card Collectors Club holds a mail auction every year in early spring. Details are on the Club's website
http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Auction/tabid/76/Default.aspx
Everyone is welcome to view the auction pages and those who wish to can download them to their computers. However to bid in the auction, you must be a member of 52 Plus Joker.

There are 78 lots of decks and seven pieces of playing card ephemera in the auction - something for everyone. Below is a sampler of a card from each of 20 different lots.

Please contact Tom or Judy Dawson if you have any questions - via a post or a PM.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:02:58 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Playing Card Auction - January to March 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Very cool. Thanks for posting this Tom. Is there a place to view current bids or do we have to be a member to see that?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:46:37 PM by Curt »

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:39 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
The auction is not competitive in that you can't see others' bids. One bids their highest and hopes!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Here's pictures of an interesting narrow advertising deck from the 1920's that is #38 in the upcoming auction.
These are really fun to collect and usually not too expensive - the older, wide ad decks with special ace of spades, joker, etc. tend to go for more.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:20:27 AM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Pardon my lack of knowledge, i was browsing through the auction and came across these:

52+J+TC[x2]
TC means?

52+J+3XC
XC means?

OB2
OB means?

Or if you have an abbreviations page, please direct me to it because i am sure there are many more i will not know about.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
You will hear from Tom but good questions!

TC title card
XC extra card - for example a card with bridge scoring
OB original box (paper, not plastic)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:12:33 AM by 52plusjoker »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Not much more to add. We have used this 'code' for so long in our auctions, because of space requirements, that we assume everyone knows the meanings. Not a good assumption. The Auction Rules explain the OB references and we added a glossary of terms at the bottom of it today [in the website Auction Rules page]. The printed rules in Clear the Decks cannot be changed as already printed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:10:25 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Just a note to advise everyone that the bidding module on the auction webpage at http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Auction/tabid/76/Default.aspx is now open. To view, and use, the module you need to be a member of 52 Plus Joker.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Here's a lot that might interest some of you in the 52+J club auction currently underway. Lot #53 - Aurum by Paul Carpenter - mint, sealed and #50 of a signed edition of only 90. Visit page 8 in the auction at

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:27:10 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Question about the auction. I did not see anything in the rules about this. If someone wanted to bid on multiple items- like 4-6 things, but could only afford to win 2-3. Is there an option to say I'll take items 1 & 2 of my winning bids- please let items 3 & 4 to the next highest bidder. I know this is opening a can of worms, but there are more than 1 item that I would like to bid on to increase the chance of winning at least 1. I just don't want to somehow miraculously win 4 different things, and be saying oh crap!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:30:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Question about the auction. I did not see anything in the rules about this. If someone wanted to bid on multiple items- like 4-6 things, but could only afford to win 2-3. Is there an option to say I'll take items 1 & 2 of my winning bids- please let items 3 & 4 to the next highest bidder. I know this is opening a can of worms, but there are more than 1 item that I would like to bid on to increase the chance of winning at least 1. I just don't want to somehow miraculously win 4 different things, and be saying oh crap!

You should really narrow down your selections and only bid as much as you can afford to part with.  It's entirely possible that you'd end up winning all the auctions you bid in, so you'd have to be prepared to pay that much.  I've never seen an auction house that allowed people to back out of their winning bids.  Winning an auction is easier than it looks - I bid on only one items last year and won it.

To bid on too many items is no different than spending cash you don't possess.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:28:26 AM »

ATS

Some very nice items there. I had not seen or heard about a 'duplicate whist' deck before (58). Would be very interested to see / learn more about it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:28:39 AM by ATS »

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Some very nice items there. I had not seen or heard about a 'duplicate whist' deck before (58). Would be very interested to see / learn more about it.

Are you a member of 52 Plus Joker yet?  It's pretty cheap and has its benefits.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

You should really narrow down your selections and only bid as much as you can afford to part with.  It's entirely possible that you'd end up winning all the auctions you bid in, so you'd have to be prepared
to pay that much.  I've never seen an auction house that allowed people to back out of their winning bids.  Winning an auction is easier than it looks - I bid on only one items last year and won it.

It is not in the rules but we will accept bids with a maximum total spend. For example - you bid $100 on five different lots and you state that you do not want to spend more than $300. As long as you rank the decks you bid on, even if you were high on all five, we would cancel your bids on the 4th & 5th lots in the ranking - they would then go to the second highest bidder.

We do this because it is a blind auction and you don't know until the end whether you won anything. In a regular or silent auction if you lose your favorite, you can safely bid on the next one on your list.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:05:23 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:56 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

You should really narrow down your selections and only bid as much as you can afford to part with.  It's entirely possible that you'd end up winning all the auctions you bid in, so you'd have to be prepared
to pay that much.  I've never seen an auction house that allowed people to back out of their winning bids.  Winning an auction is easier than it looks - I bid on only one items last year and won it.

It is not in the rules but we will accept bids with a maximum total spend. For example - you bid $100 on five different lots and you state that you do not want to spend more than $300. As long as you rank the decks you bid on, even if you were high on all five, we would cancel your bids on the 4th & 5th lots in the ranking - they would then go to the second highest bidder.

We do this because it is a blind auction and you don't know until the end whether you won anything. In a regular or silent auction if you lose your favorite, you can safely bid on the next one on your list.
Thanks for clarifying this
Can this be done in the bidding module, or some other way-email/phone?(I guess I should join 52plusjoker first ;))
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 03:24:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

(I guess I should join 52plusjoker first ;))

Ya think, big guy?  :))

Good luck in your bidding!

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Thanks for clarifying this
Can this be done in the bidding module, or some other way-email/phone?(I guess I should join 52plusjoker first ;))
Please do by email to me.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
For clarity in the 52+J auction, all bids submitted through the website or email, post, etc. will be personally acknowledged by me by email. So if you bid and haven't heard from me, I didn't get it. Contact me again to make sure it gets entered.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:28:39 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
For clarity in the 52+J auction, all bids submitted through the website or email, post, etc. will be personally acknowledged by me by email. So if you bid and haven't heard from me, I didn't get it. Contact me again to make sure it gets entered.

For those reading this who are 52+J members, the quarterly CTD has just been mailed and should hit your mailbox sometime this coming week. It contains the full auction along with many colored pictures of auction lots.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:11 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Bird's Duplicate Whist was a deck designed to allow the same hands to be played contemporaneously at different tables of four people. Using a stylo and  holes in the cards predetermined deals could be distributed to the four players. It was an unwieldy system, quickly replaced by ones easier to handle.

There were quite a number of bridge and whist decks published from c1890 until c1950. Many of them were considered teaching decks with instructions for play in the margins. There were also decks with different colored pips, ie black spades, red hearts, orange diamonds and blue clubs to try to prevent sorting a card into the wrong place.

Collecting early bridge and whist decks was Tom and  my first area of focus and it is amazing how many playing cards were published to try and attract and teach people who wanted help with the games. You can check out the bridge and whist and non-revoke sections of the Hochman Encyclopedia to learn about the 57 different deck varieties published pre 1950.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:57:10 AM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
From the maker of Bicycle Cards, near the time of their first Bicycle deck, is a great trade card - Lot #85 in the 52 + J auction http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Auction/tabid/76/Default.aspx presently underway. Here's a description and pictures of the colorful front and the back with brand and price information.
Patriotic US flag design trade card by Russell & Morgan Printing Co. circa 1883. The back describes their brands at the time along with the prices for each 'per gross'. The overprint ad on the back is for Heyer Bros of Boston. A beautiful piece & invaluable historic information.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Another interesting deck to be found in the pages of the 52 Plus Joker auction taking place now until mid March. Check it out!

I have always have loved this early clever modern deck (see listing below).

Grand Prix   1976   France
   52+2J+TC   Unusual special deck designed as part of the 1975 Grand Prix contest sponsored by Grimaud.  Each year they published the winning entry for that year.
        Interesting attractive modern designed courts with stylized pips.

Minimum    20 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:47:34 PM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 06:39:06 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Tom and Judy,

I'm begging you to please stop highlighting all the decks I'm bidding on! Please!  LOL  :t11:  ;D  J/K!

In all seriousness, the lots available in the auction are awesome. I wish I had more hobby cash available. I will be saving for next year's auction. This caught me by surprise this year I hate to say
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
OK
This time no highlights!!
The auction ends tomorrow at 6pm - so if you haven't bid yet, get to it!
Go to  http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Auction/tabid/76/Default.aspx
Tom & Judy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:20:53 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
OK
This time no highlights!!
The auction ends tomorrow at 6pm - so if you haven't bid yet, get to it!
Go to  http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Auction/tabid/76/Default.aspx
Tom & Judy
Due to a computer glitch closing the bidding form, we have extended the auction until 8pm tonight.
Tom Dawson