You are Here:
Collectors Bicycle® Playing Cards Deck by Elite Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 9014 times)

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Collectors Bicycle® Playing Cards Deck by Elite Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hmm...  A little too self-referential for my tastes.  It's nearly as bad as naming a deck "Playing Card-Themed Playing Cards!"  Ever hear of anyone naming a car "Driver" or naming a pistol "Shooter"?  (Or calling a toilet "Crapper" - wait, people actually do that!)

It's one thing to make a gorgeous deck based on a specific theme.  It's quite another to call it "Bicycle Collectors" and wait for the Bicycle collectors to roll in by the hundreds or thousands...

I love this - the first sentence:

Bicycle® Collectors. 56 Luxury Handcrafted Playing Cards. Limited Edition. Printed by the USPCC.
  • Luxury?  It's the same paper used to make Bees and Bicycles!  It's like the term "Corinthian leather" - a term that was made up by Chrysler's ad agency to sell their luxury cards in the mid-1970s, made famous by Cordoba brand spokesman Ricardo Montalban.  In reality, the leather was never anywhere near Corinth - it was purchased from a company in Newark, New Jersey!
  • Handcrafted?  The definition of this in the transitive verb form is "To  fashion  or  make  by  hand," implying the lack of a machine-driven process.  So someone is painting in each and every card by hand?  Or running a manual press and creating each uncut sheet a page at a time?  I could use the same term for the manufacturing of automobiles or computer processors - at some point, humans laid hands on those object as well while they were "crafted"...  So, hand-drawn, yes; hand-designed, maybe or maybe not; handcrafted, not a chance.  It implies the deck is completely handmade when only the artwork is.  Considering the amount of tweaking that even hand drawings receive before a deck is press-ready, the term is somewhat deceptive - but I supposed not more so than many ad campaigns.
  • Limited Edition?  Duh.  Is that still a selling point any more?  Has any deck on Kickstarter ever been mass-produced in more than one print run?  It's like saying, "Now with AIR, version 2.0!"  It's become meaningless.  The very nature of using Kickstarter to create a deck forces all but a rare few of them to be limited editions, because the amount of funds raised is finite and usually not enough to launch a full-time deck company.
  • Printed by the USPCC?  Well, the Bicycle brand is kind of a giveaway...
In short, it looks like a "Corinthian leather" deck.  I'll grant that the court cards look nice and all (though the images on the cards could be a bit larger), but Elite's work was always a bit too baroque for my tastes and it's a turn-off to be "sold to" so forcefully as this.

Forgive me if I seem cranky.  I didn't get enough sleep.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:56:11 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Hmm...  A little too self-referential for my tastes.  It's nearly as bad as naming a deck "Playing Card-Themed Playing Cards!"  Ever hear of anyone naming a car "Driver" or naming a pistol "Shooter"?  (Or calling a toilet "Crapper" - wait, people actually do that!)

It's one thing to make a gorgeous deck based on a specific theme.  It's quite another to call it "Bicycle Collectors" and wait for the Bicycle collectors to roll in by the hundreds or thousands...

I love this - the first sentence:

Bicycle® Collectors. 56 Luxury Handcrafted Playing Cards. Limited Edition. Printed by the USPCC.
  • Luxury?  It's the same paper used to make Bees and Bicycles!  It's like the term "Corinthian leather" - a term that was made up by Chrysler's ad agency to sell their luxury cards in the mid-1970s, made famous by Cordoba brand spokesman Ricardo Montalban.  In reality, the leather was never anywhere near Corinth - it was purchased from a company in Newark, New Jersey!
  • Handcrafted?  The definition of this in the transitive verb form is "To  fashion  or  make  by  hand," implying the lack of a machine-driven process.  So someone is painting in each and every card by hand?  Or running a manual press and creating each uncut sheet a page at a time?  I could use the same term for the manufacturing of automobiles or computer processors - at some point, humans laid hands on those object as well while they were "crafted"...  So, hand-drawn, yes; hand-designed, maybe or maybe not; handcrafted, not a chance.  It implies the deck is completely handmade when only the artwork is.  Considering the amount of tweaking that even hand drawings receive before a deck is press-ready, the term is somewhat deceptive - but I supposed not more so than many ad campaigns.
  • Limited Edition?  Duh.  Is that still a selling point any more?  Has any deck on Kickstarter ever been mass-produced in more than one print run?  It's like saying, "Now with AIR, version 2.0!"  It's become meaningless.  The very nature of using Kickstarter to create a deck forces all but a rare few of them to be limited editions, because the amount of funds raised is finite and usually not enough to launch a full-time deck company.
  • Printed by the USPCC?  Well, the Bicycle brand is kind of a giveaway...
In short, it looks like a "Corinthian leather" deck.  I'll grant that the court cards look nice and all (though the images on the cards could be a bit larger), but Elite's work was always a bit too baroque for my tastes and it's a turn-off to be "sold to" so forcefully as this.

Forgive me if I seem cranky.  I didn't get enough sleep.
Cranky or not, I agree with everything you said.  Way too self-serving and presumptuous.   :karrit:
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 02:14:51 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like the look of the deck. The rendering of the tuck box sells itself, very sharp looking. It may or may not happen with stretch goals for tuck enhancements being so high, 50K for foil and 65K for embossing. I have my doubts about the final version looking as good as the render. (Elite makes wonderful renders) I think it's a little odd to have the tuck red and gold,m it looks great, just to me it doesn't reflect the playing cards so well due to the card back being golden shades, not red. Personally, I couldn't care less about the dice or card clip at the lower stretch goals but it is what it is and I'm sure some people are all about the dice and card clips. I lean much more toward the cards themselves and the tuck that houses the cards though.

I like the card back, it looks crazy busy and interesting to the eye. Flows well though most of it. The indices I don't much care for those. Also not a real big fan of the pips I see on the ten of clubs. The queen of diamonds is pretty great, so are the aces.

I'm in for a couple. I'd like to see the physical product, think it'll be pretty nice.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I read the "handcrafted" part and I was like wtf... They really are good at marketing to the more credulous among us and, as pointed out, make really good renders...

To my shame, I still backed for a few decks... Despite the mildly deceptive advertising, I do like the design...

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I really like these (as I have every deck in their series) so I'm in. To me, this deck is their best yet. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that I think that embossing is a must, but it should be a lower stretch goal. The luxury series decks, to maintain the higher-end look and feel, NEED to be embossed. Their last release didn't make the embossing goal and the tucks, while beautiful, were flat (literally and artistically) due to the absence of embossing. The tuck embossing would push these over the edge. The card back detail is always intricate and well done. They just need to emboss them at a far lower funding level. their end result always (in my eyes, at least) meets or exceeds the quality of the concept.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Despite the mildly deceptive advertising, I do like the design...

"Look at this amazing tuck, look at it again!  Neat isn't it?  Oh, that sweet tuck, that gold though is a stretch goal.  That embossing that really makes the deck, yeah that's also a stretch goal (that we will never hit)."  I pledged, but may pull out at the end if they don't hit the goal, which is quite unlikely.  I would have rather they just charged $2 more and had it right away.  The only reason I might stay in is the reasonable price, at least in terms of the new pricing structure we have found ourselves in.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Based on their last 2 decks and their comments I'm really hopeful it will reach the $65k stage and get the full gold treatment and embossing.  Assuming it does I'll be really happy with the lower price, but I sure you all of you aren't holding out because of it.  I just have it marked and set a reminder and will pull out on the last day (maybe) if it doesn't make it, but I'm all in until then.  Their last 2 decks did more than that and with all the crazy add-ons I think it has a shot again.  The current trend in pledges supports that as well. 

Sneaky, sneaky though.   >:(

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Observe Elite's four most recent decks.  I can't be the only one noticing a similarity...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:08:10 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Yeah, I've quickly grown tired of their look and have only one of their other decks as a result.  I don't care for the gold on white look at all.  This was a pure tuck pledge for me, which of course will only remain if it reaches the goals for gold on red with embossing.  The courts are nice and other artwork as well, but the colors and style needs a referesher.  That tuck will just look soooo nice in my display, assuming it happens. ;D

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm never particularly fond of their works.

Like what everybody else notices, it gets fairly boring the more decks they release, and i already mentioned this a few projects ago. It is their "style" and what may not be right for us definitely is for many others as shown in all their successful projects.

But in all fairness, their artwork and design has been good. Just look at the back design and you can tell they have some talent there. As a collector, i just hope they can have some new design breakthrough in their work.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Like what everybody else notices, it gets fairly boring the more decks they release, and i already mentioned this a few projects ago. It is their "style" and what may not be right for us definitely is for many others as shown in all their successful projects.

But in all fairness, their artwork and design has been good. Just look at the back design and you can tell they have some talent there. As a collector, i just hope they can have some new design breakthrough in their work.

Think of it like a car company.  You could even say it's a luxury car company, if you wish.  "Baroque Motors", if you will.

They put out their first car, everyone loves it.  As the months and model years go by, they put out new models but they're strikingly similar to that first car - meaning they're all strikingly similar to each other, as well.  You can get away with this for a while, perhaps, but eventually the public will tire of the design and want something different.  It's either that or the car company has to find ways to make the old model look fresh and new to its consumers.

One easy way to do this is to introduce the car to people who've never bought cars before, another is to heavily court those people who've bought these models before and can't get enough of them.  The first strategy will last for a while, but without real updates to the design, they'll just look at it like it's a "grandpa car", while the second strategy can't last long either due to the dwindling number of people who'll want absolutely no major changes to the design at all.  Only the most stubborn and stagnant people will want that same design without any major changes ad infinitum; the rest will eventually change their minds  If this wasn't the case, car companies would have maybe five models to choose from in all their vehicle categories in total, all at a single trim level, and they'd all look like the Ford Model T, which was available in any color you wanted as long as that color was black.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Think of it like a car company.  You could even say it's a luxury car company, if you wish.  "Baroque Motors", if you will.

They put out their first car, everyone loves it.  As the months and model years go by, they put out new models but they're strikingly similar to that first car - meaning they're all strikingly similar to each other, as well.  You can get away with this for a while, perhaps, but eventually the public will tire of the design and want something different.  It's either that or the car company has to find ways to make the old model look fresh and new to its consumers.

One easy way to do this is to introduce the car to people who've never bought cars before, another is to heavily court those people who've bought these models before and can't get enough of them.  The first strategy will last for a while, but without real updates to the design, they'll just look at it like it's a "grandpa car", while the second strategy can't last long either due to the dwindling number of people who'll want absolutely no major changes to the design at all.  Only the most stubborn and stagnant people will want that same design without any major changes ad infinitum; the rest will eventually change their minds  If this wasn't the case, car companies would have maybe five models to choose from in all their vehicle categories in total, all at a single trim level, and they'd all look like the Ford Model T, which was available in any color you wanted as long as that color was black.

Elite - Stay calm and steady on. That's how I see them. I think the biggest thing that keeps Elite decks from being, more Elite, is the Tuck box. They have an elegant design that's going to strike a cord with many people and Elite has quite the following. Elite likes to run with a tuck that's not enhanced beyond their own design image. Their designs are similar but it's their calling card, their style. We kind of know what to expect from Elite at this point, the next deck won't likely be any break away from their tried and true style. Hands down they're much better designs than other, -cough- CPC -cough-, card companies have been coming up with lately. Sure that's a subjective statement but one the campaigns clearly show as being true.

The indices on this deck bother me more as I look at them more. This is a problem for me. Either I'll have to quit looking at some point or dump my two deck pledge. That's kind of how it's boiling down for me. I think an embossed and foiled tuck would keep me on regardless of how I feel about the indices. Kind of odd, since I'm not one for buying for the tuck but the enhancement makes it a much better value in my opinion.

These guys always have tons of add-on stuff. I wonder if they're actually selling many t-shirts and poker sets. Somehow I don't think so. T-shirts tend to cost a project money, not make it money. They need to move a LOT of the things to turn a few bucks and make them worthwhile. Elite has a core following though, maybe they're all snatching up the cotton too. Poker chips and dice, everyone already has at least one set of the things. I wonder if those actually move at all and make money. I'm leaning toward, they don't sell much of that stuff but like to offer it because it dresses up a campaign page.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Elite - Stay calm and steady on. That's how I see them. I think the biggest thing that keeps Elite decks from being, more Elite, is the Tuck box. They have an elegant design that's going to strike a cord with many people and Elite has quite the following. Elite likes to run with a tuck that's not enhanced beyond their own design image. Their designs are similar but it's their calling card, their style. We kind of know what to expect from Elite at this point, the next deck won't likely be any break away from their tried and true style. Hands down they're much better designs than other, -cough- CPC -cough-, card companies have been coming up with lately. Sure that's a subjective statement but one the campaigns clearly show as being true.

The indices on this deck bother me more as I look at them more. This is a problem for me. Either I'll have to quit looking at some point or dump my two deck pledge. That's kind of how it's boiling down for me. I think an embossed and foiled tuck would keep me on regardless of how I feel about the indices. Kind of odd, since I'm not one for buying for the tuck but the enhancement makes it a much better value in my opinion.

These guys always have tons of add-on stuff. I wonder if they're actually selling many t-shirts and poker sets. Somehow I don't think so. T-shirts tend to cost a project money, not make it money. They need to move a LOT of the things to turn a few bucks and make them worthwhile. Elite has a core following though, maybe they're all snatching up the cotton too. Poker chips and dice, everyone already has at least one set of the things. I wonder if those actually move at all and make money. I'm leaning toward, they don't sell much of that stuff but like to offer it because it dresses up a campaign page.

I'd wager that they lose money on the t-shirts, as stated, because I've heard this before in regard to deck projects.  The other stuff can usually be had at a reasonable cost, so they won't lose money - it's just a matter of how much is earned.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I get your point but you can't quite compare it to a car company. A Mercedes Benz 10 years down the road with the same design might still get people buying because of its reliability and performance as well. Whereas in this case, unless their cards have better performance that appeal to magicians or cardist, their value will die of much much faster before they even realise it.

Another saving factor could be the branding and timing. For branding, coming out with first few good designs definitely helped their cause. Coupled with good delivery and reasonable pricing, Elite, i believe, have a strong group of supporters.

Timing. Well, basically the playing card market is much hotter than a few years back. There are so many cards out there, but also a huge plentiful of horrible decks as well. A decent design more often will get all the new card collectors backing the project early while waiting out to see the response. On the other hand, a shitty design will most probably be waited out by card collectors to see the response, and only backed if it gets funded, just to follow the crowd and add a deck to their collection.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I get your point but you can't quite compare it to a car company. A Mercedes Benz 10 years down the road with the same design might still get people buying because of its reliability and performance as well. Whereas in this case, unless their cards have better performance that appeal to magicians or cardist, their value will die of much much faster before they even realise it.

Another saving factor could be the branding and timing. For branding, coming out with first few good designs definitely helped their cause. Coupled with good delivery and reasonable pricing, Elite, i believe, have a strong group of supporters.

Timing. Well, basically the playing card market is much hotter than a few years back. There are so many cards out there, but also a huge plentiful of horrible decks as well. A decent design more often will get all the new card collectors backing the project early while waiting out to see the response. On the other hand, a shitty design will most probably be waited out by card collectors to see the response, and only backed if it gets funded, just to follow the crowd and add a deck to their collection.

To carry the car metaphor a bit further, let's look at Mercedes-Benz.  A ten-year-old Mercedes Benz may have some appeal to drivers as it's a well-built car and can last a long time.  But picture this: what if all the new Mercedes-Benz released for the current model year looks extremely similar to that ten-year-old model, nothing really new added to it, no new technology or safety features and only minor differences overall?  There would have to be some customers out there who've tired of the old design and want something new and different.  Any car collector owning the ten-year-old model might look at the new ones, scratch his head and say to himself, "I have this already - do I want more of the same?"  While some people will answer that with a yes, I suspect more would answer with a no.

The car business (much like the card business) is tied to fashion as much as it is to technology.  Playing cards get new stocks, finishes, bonus features on the tuck box, etc., while car companies add back-up camera, on-board navigation, etc.  In a collectors' market, such as the one we face now, people expect new and different to be synonymous when it comes to design.  The best example of this I can think of would be Uusi - every deck they made (except for the Blueblood Redux, of course) is different than all the decks that preceded it.  If a company's tenth deck is pretty much similar to the first one and all those in-between, it may be new, but it's not terribly different.

You mentioned the market (specifically the collectors' market in this case) is very hot right now, rife with both good and crappy designs.  If there's enough good designs that are new and fresh compared to the company that's churning out essentially the same deck they did ten projects ago, I believe more people will flock to the new design.  Without innovation, you end up with stagnation.

The one saving grace in such a situation is that, just like there's many new designs, there is also an influx of new customers in the market, beginning collectors who haven't tired of the old designs because they've never seen them.  Combine that with enough diehard customers and the fact that the project needs only a small percentage of market share to succeed, and they can merrily continue cranking out the same exceptionally-similar design until some other variable in the market shifts.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This campaign is going strong. They're closing on some of the tuck enhancements, which is pretty cool. Given the timing for this campaign over the holiday season, it's no small feat. I take my hat off to Elite, these guys are giving it a go and doing quite well with it.

I've gone ahead and taken part of their latest offering as well. Not bad at all 3 Elite decks for $25, one of them being the Evolution deck which I don't have in my collection yet. Pretty happy about it.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 03:58:30 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
What the hell does any of that jibber jabber have to do with Collectors Playing Cards Deck?  :mindf-ck:

Anyway, it looks like Elite is marching on the embossing stretch goal now. About 7,000 away from it actually, going strong and going well. These tucks are going to be intense all embossed up.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I'm sad to see them still using the gradient shading on the cards to create the fake metalic look, it comes off really cheap to me and ruines an otherwise good looking deck.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 10:39:02 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Added to the campaign.
Bicycle® Collectors White Pearl Edition: $20

A limited edition of 500 decks only, and no more will be ever printed. This IS our most rare deck and is set to become one of the most sought-after decks in the industry.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Last I looked this hit $63,000 + so it looks like we're going to see the embossing on the tucks as well. I think it's going to look pretty amazing myself.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Last I looked this hit $63,000 + so it looks like we're going to see the embossing on the tucks as well. I think it's going to look pretty amazing myself.

Actually, the embossing was reached at $60k, but I've seen the $65k reference around before so maybe they changed it.  Doesn't matter anyhow though, with the release of this 'magical' pearl tuck it's currently well over $67k anyhow.  Based on this, I'll be sticking with my pledge because the embossing is what will make this deck.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 05:04:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Actually, the embossing was reached at $60k, but I've seen the $65k reference around before so maybe they changed it.  Doesn't matter anyhow though, with the release of this 'magical' pearl tuck it's currently well over $67k anyhow.  Based on this, I'll be sticking with my pledge because the embossing is what will make this deck.

"A limited edition of 500 decks only, and no more will be ever printed. This IS our most rare deck and is set to become one of the most sought-after decks in the industry."

Most sought-after???  Solely because it's a 500-count print run?  Bah.  It's probably the same exact cards in a new tuck box.  People used to get pissed off with T11 about that - until a couple of years ago, they were making "version two" of many of their decks, the only difference from version one being a slight change to the box design.  It looks like they listened, since now their V. 2 decks are genuinely a change or an upgrade of some kind and not simply a new box.