HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hi all.

I'm De.

I'm an artist and muso from the Blue Mountains, outside Sydney Australia.  Ive been in to magic for some time and over the years, have collected a pretty good magic library at home of books and DVDs, and have been collecting decks for a while now too.  I think I'm called a "current collector", at least so far, as I have a reasonable collection of more recently released cards mostly.  I'm also an avid board game player and collector with over 300 games in our collection.

I guess I'm an amateur magician thats been thoroughly interested in the craft for some time.  This came about years ago when my fascination in recycling, upcycling and waste to art really took hold and I realized that I could change the way people saw the world by changing the way they saw things in general.  By taking one, old broken thing, generally considered junk or garbage, better for nothing but being left to rot and changing it, turning it, adapting it into something not only functional, but beautiful.  Also in many instances leaving it so simply but visibly changed that people can't see its original form until they change their perspective.  This started my fascination with magic as well.  The profound ability people have to only see what they want to see, regardless of how obvious it might be that its not that way, lead to a deep desire to understand magic, deception, mentalism (my least favorite in honesty) and all other versions of the art that distinctly change the way people see things.

I work where I live, for almost 8 years now, in a Guesthouse, bush retreat and function centre here in the Blue Mountains with my wife, 2 kids, dog, cat, chickens, various others and all our staff and their families.  We all live and work together, eating dinner together every night.  We also take part in a cultural exchange program called helpx where we take on various people from every country on the globe (usually 4-6 different people at a time) that live with us, eat with us, help our family grow our own food in our organic gardens and most importantly when we are not busy living help me to work on some really cool, pretty big artworks (some recent ones you can see on my Facebook page hudsondesignaustralia) that we do around our home or sometimes commissioned by others.  We also run some pretty cool events from weddings and conferences to retreats, seminars, board games events and music concerts.

My artworks over the years have ranged to small pieces, lighting, glassware, functional sculptures, etc to much larger ones, giant perspective mosaics, candelabras, secret doors, etc.  The latter part of one major piece where I am working on converting an entire room in our property to a massive multifaceted functional piece.

In the mean time my fascination with Magic, specifically cards also let me to begin designing a deck I called "Perspective" in light of these themes.   I finally got the courage to give a kickstarter a go when a couple of other local Aussies I know had success with theirs and have been sorting out the logistics of a Kickstarter for a while.  My plan is to launch any day now with the deck printed and fulfilled by Lawrence Sullivan of Legends Playing Card Company.  (Who has already gone over it all and given it the tick of approval) Although I have haunted this forum and others for a long time for info and ideas yesterday Ivan of Kardify.com suggested I really should become a member and introduce myself.

So here I am!

Thanks for reading this all.  Didn't know where to start.

Re: Hi There, Aussie upcycling artist into Magic, collecting & cardistry
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:55:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
You started off just fine, as I see it!

Welcome to the PCF!  You'll find yourself in good company here - we have a few Aussie members already, as well as folks from some nearby nations.

Don't be worried about being the new guy.  We were all new once and we remember how it feels, so we'll go easy on you.  The community here is generally quite friendly, even when we don't always agree with each other.

If you want, go check out the older posts - you might find out new information on some of the decks in your collection.  And if you have a question that the search function couldn't help you with, go ahead and ask.  We welcome the opportunity to "boot-strap" our fellow collectors.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:02:48 AM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
The man himself.

Hey Don,  Cheers for the warm welcome.

I already have a bulk of my collection up at PCD https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7081

Except for a handful they don't have on there yet (although I have emailed them to let them know and offer to upload them to save the hassle).

I know a fair bit about the ones I have but PCF is definitely helpful looking for info on the ones I don't.  Also helped me sort out a heap of stuff for my own ideas.

Thanks Again

De.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:41:47 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter: