You are Here:
Hey Everyone, I'm a Collector

Author (Read 1396 times)

Hey Everyone, I'm a Collector
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »

Bucky

• Newcomer
Hey Everyone, Bucky here, I'm a card collector from central Wisconsin. I'm still fairly new to all this, or at least I think of myself that way.
Started collecting decks of playing cards in early 2013. I got into it mainly due to some amazing decks I saw being crowdfunded on Kickstarter, and I maybe went a little crazy buying decks.

Favorite card designers/artists are probably Uusi and Jackson Robinson.

Thinking of getting into cardistry just for another hobby, probably won't be very good at it.

Re: Hey Everyone, I'm a Collector
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome from you neighbor to the south, collecting when your new is always fun. Enjoy!

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:43:43 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
You're in good company here! Welcome to the forum Bucky.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »

Bucky

• Newcomer
Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »

Connor X

• Newcomer
  • Heyo!
Hey Bucky! Welcome to the forum.

I'm new to all this too, and only have a few decks in my collection.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »

Bucky

• Newcomer
Hey Bucky! Welcome to the forum.

I'm new to all this too, and only have a few decks in my collection.

I've slowed WAY down on my pace when it comes to purchasing decks for my collection. I have no idea how big the average collection around here is, and size isn't everything obviously with the quality or rarity of the decks in a collection mattering much more. Your "few decks" could easily out do many collections. When I imagine other collectors' hoard I imagine hundreds and hundreds of decks but I actually have no idea the average collection size.

I myself have what I consider a very small collection still. I collect modern decks and do so sporadically. If you count unique decks I only have a little north of 50 decks. If you count multiples/repeats then sure it's closer to 150 decks.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:01:52 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Size doesn't matter, or content for that matter. Pick up what you want and when and you'll enjoy your collection more than some people who have 1000's ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone, Bucky here, I'm a card collector from central Wisconsin. I'm still fairly new to all this, or at least I think of myself that way.
Started collecting decks of playing cards in early 2013. I got into it mainly due to some amazing decks I saw being crowdfunded on Kickstarter, and I maybe went a little crazy buying decks.

Favorite card designers/artists are probably Uusi and Jackson Robinson.

Thinking of getting into cardistry just for another hobby, probably won't be very good at it.

Welcome to the forum.  Uusi was one of my clients, back when they were still making their own deck designs.

Don't knock your cardistry skills until you've tried it.  Remember, it's been said that one requires 10,000 hours of practice in order to become expert at just about anything.  I'd say give it a couple hundred hours before you get ready to truly throw in the towel, unless you simply just don't enjoy it.

Anthony makes an excellent point.  It's not the size of the collection but the pleasure it provides to the person collecting it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/