You are Here:
card borders and new designs?

Author (Read 3454 times)

card borders and new designs?
« on: October 29, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I know that even while im waiting to get an actual pic for you guys im working on coloring and if I want borders on the cards that I might produce, if it finally gets to me going to USPCC I might talk to alex for advice but for right now i had a question for you guys would a non white border be good to have? either design that I use color will be a big thing and im not a fan of white borders so what do you guys think on this matter?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: card borders and new designs?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:44 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm totolly okay with non boarder deck.
E.g. I like the v1 artifice more than v2

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
the thing with that is i hear how the edges get messed up with dirt and such more, with one design i had it would be nature themed and i thought green borders might be nice.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »

LauR

• Elite Member
One of the most important reasons people put borders on decks is for magicians using that deck, a lot of tricks where there is an upturn card cannot or requires great difficulty to perform when there is no borders. That's why a lot of decks have white borders, because it has white faces.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:17:28 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yea im not helping magicians with that enless i actually see a point. i don't ever see many of those and unless i got a roar of people saying GIVE US WHITE BORDERS I dont think I would just for those tricks.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:22:05 AM »

D_bag

• Forum Regular
From what I believe bordered deck were not made strictly for magicians. Borders were made to eliminate card cheats and foil card sharps in their tracks.

The borders just happened to open more possibilities for magicans.

A non bordered deck looks cooler in my opinion. I love the artifice v1 and the arcane decks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:22:28 AM by D_bag »

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Borders were made to eliminate card cheats and foil card sharps in their tracks.

That's why I prefer not to have them.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I can't offer you much advice beyond find a way to get at least $10,000 and contact the USPCC directly to figure out everything else. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with though.

As for borders vs. no borders, it's up to you. Figure out what works best with the art you will use and go from there.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
ok thanks alex so is the 10 grand for the producing of the decks or the before, stuff like protos and what not.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
It's for everything if you are doing a 5,000 deck run without much extra stuff. Keep in mind they will give you their own quote, that's just an estimate. It may be $15,000, or $7,000.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
ok thank you.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I wouldn't mind having a non bordered deck but I would prefer one with a border.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
When you all say border it means on the back of the card right? sorry, english is not my mother tongue lol
Bicycle cards lover
Designing 3D modeled cards at Excelsior Playing Cards
https://www.instagram.com/excelsiorplayingcards/

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
When you all say border it means on the back of the card right? sorry, english is not my mother tongue lol

The border is the margin that goes around the outer edge of the card.  It usually refers to the backs, and it's usually white, unless the deck has a design that's "printed into the bleed," which means that the design is printed into the area of the paper that gets cut off by the die cutter, making the design go right up to the edge of the cut.  Faces can have borders as well - technically, they sort of do have borders on most decks, as there's nothing printed at the edge of the paper and for a certain distance from that edge - but most of the time, people simply refer to the backs when they're talking about bordered versus non-bordered decks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »

Marvin347

My two cents as a magician, I would only ever buy a card deck with white borders. That said, there are probably a lot of guys that are into cardistry that wouldn't mind either way, but maybe even prefer border-less for nice card fans.

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 05:44:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My two cents as a magician, I would only ever buy a card deck with white borders. That said, there are probably a lot of guys that are into cardistry that wouldn't mind either way, but maybe even prefer border-less for nice card fans.

There are many magicians/card mechanics who will lean toward borderless, repetitive designs such as the Bee Diamond Back.  These designs create a sort of optical illusion effect when handled right, making it less easy to spot where one card ends and the next card begins.  This facilitates concealing some of the more skillful sleight of hand tricks such artists perform.  But a truly skilled card mechanic can perform equally as well with or without a border on their cards.  The magician who told me this is only infrequently seen without a deck of cards in his hands and is constantly practicing various sleights, even while waiting for lunch to arrive at a restaurant - his business card is a King of Hearts...

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »

Jackbrutuspenny

• Newcomer

I understand from perspectives such as use by magicians boarders are preferred, but I’m glad to see someone with a similar opinion as me on the aesthetics. Sometimes boarders are lovely, but sometimes bleeding to the edge has great impact - as I hope my art deck currently on Kickstarter has. It was a difficult choice but I wanted them to fill the visual pallet - and also it lends to my court cards being a tryptich panorama. So, I agree that there’s a place for decks without boarders.
Culturae Animalis art cards on Kickstarter now!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jackbrutuspenny/culturae-animalis-art-playing-cards

Jack Brutus Penny

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »

Jackbrutuspenny

• Newcomer
It's for everything if you are doing a 5,000 deck run without much extra stuff. Keep in mind they will give you their own quote, that's just an estimate. It may be $15,000, or $7,000.

Wow, interesting quotes. You say ‘without much extra’, but what extra do you think you’d get for that? My current campaign print run quote is like $9000 for 1000 decks - though admittedly it’s got all the bells and whistles.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jackbrutuspenny/culturae-animalis-art-playing-cards

Jack Brutus Penny

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »

Jackbrutuspenny

• Newcomer

The border is the margin that goes around the outer edge of the card.  It usually refers to the backs, and it's usually white, unless the deck has a design that's "printed into the bleed," which means that the design is printed into the area of the paper that gets cut off by the die cutter, making the design go right up to the edge of the cut.  Faces can have borders as well - technically, they sort of do have borders on most decks, as there's nothing printed at the edge of the paper and for a certain distance from that edge - but most of the time, people simply refer to the backs when they're talking about bordered versus non-bordered decks.

That’s very interesting. I assumed it was both back and face when discussing boarders but assumed the magician issue was about the face side as boarderless meant different?

Jack Brutus Penny

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I understand from perspectives such as use by magicians boarders are preferred, but I’m glad to see someone with a similar opinion as me on the aesthetics. Sometimes boarders are lovely, but sometimes bleeding to the edge has great impact - as I hope my art deck currently on Kickstarter has. It was a difficult choice but I wanted them to fill the visual pallet - and also it lends to my court cards being a tryptich panorama. So, I agree that there’s a place for decks without boarders.

Not every deck has to conform to the aesthetics or requirements of a magician.  Many don't, for certain.  It is really simply a matter of the designer's preferences and his or her target audience.  If a designer is going for a more artistic aesthetic, then there may be a desire for a borderless face and/or back design.  Some collectors absolutely love borderless, some hate it, some aren't so uptight about it either way.

JBP, I wouldn't worry too much about the magician's "requirements" - you're clearly not targeting magicians.  Any deck that's done as a Kickstarter limited printing is likely to have little appeal for a magician - younger magicians might like a limited run deck's cool appearance, but considering what they cost and how many decks a working magician will generally go through while performing and practicing, I've learned that many of them, especially the older ones, stick to the basics.  While I was selling decks at Magic Live, the most frequently asked question at my booth was "Do you have it in Bicycle?," by which they meant specifically the Bicycle Rider Back, the "standard" deck that USPC puts out in the largest numbers.  They're not collectors at all, for the most part, and simply call them "Bicycle."

Wow, interesting quotes. You say ‘without much extra’, but what extra do you think you’d get for that? My current campaign print run quote is like $9000 for 1000 decks - though admittedly it’s got all the bells and whistles.

JBP, bear in mind that the person whom you're quoting said that EIGHT YEARS ago.  Pricing likely would vary by now, and at the time USPC wasn't even offering print runs as small as 1,000 decks.  5,000 used to be the minimum - it was then lowered to 2,500 and eventually reached the 1,000 they offer today.  Also, the per-deck price really shoots up on the shorter print runs - it can sometimes be more cost-effective to go for a larger print run.

That’s very interesting. I assumed it was both back and face when discussing boarders but assumed the magician issue was about the face side as boarderless meant different?

What they're referring to mostly when they're talking about magicians is when a deck has a face with a plain, un-inked border (white) and a back with a print-into-the-bleed design, be it a pattern or a solid (a "colored" border).  The reason magicians get all uppity about such things is that there are some tricks that require the magician to flip a card over in the middle of a deck, turning it face down while all the other cards are face up or vice versa.  When a card has nothing but white on the edge of the back and face, this is undetectable.  When one side is white while the other is anything but plain white, this leaves a distinctive, visible line in the middle of the deck that's visible from the deck's edge, and it kind of gives the trick away.

Decks that are targeted to magicians will in most cases have either a plain white edge on the faces and backs, or they'll be matched in color somehow, as with Ellusionist's first custom deck, the Bicycle Black Tigers, which was all black on the edges of the backs and faces.

The only real issue to keep in mind with printing into the bleed is wear and tear.  It's not a big deal if you're targeting a collector's market - they want pretty cards and aren't likely to use them a whole lot.  But when someone does use cards, and those cards have printing into the bleed, there's a tendency for chipping to occur - tiny bits of the card's surface will flake off at the edge with repeated handling, shuffling, etc.  For an all-black deck like the Black Tigers I mentioned above, this makes a super-cool looking deck gradually look pretty shabby, and if you're really sharp-eyed with a good memory, this can even function as a de facto marking system, allowing you to identify at least certain cards in the deck if not the whole deck.  So if you're making a design and targeting, for example, people who play with cards as your target audience, you'll want to stick with plain white borders as much as possible.