You are Here:
Faro in both directions?

Author (Read 1845 times)

Faro in both directions?
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »

norsul

Often I hear that there are cards that faro both ways and cards that fan only one way. Card manufacturers even use it in their advertising when they say that the cards are traditionally cut which allows for faro shuffles in both directions. But I don't get it, I've tried faro shuffling my cards in all kinds of ways and they either always faro or don't faro at all. What is this "direction" in which the cards faro?

Re: Faro in both directions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:48:52 AM »

EduardTodor

Left to right and right to left.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »

norsul

But if the cards are shuffled then they are turned in diferent directions so it shouldn't matter which way you faro them if they aren't taken straight from the box right?

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The directions of the faro depends on how they cut the cards.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Has anyone gotten the Gold Seal Bikes I heard they faro amazing.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
hmmm this might make no sense whatsoever but here it goes.

think of it like shaving. when you faro cards there is a "grain" depending on the cut. traditional cut makes it so the cards never get "razor burn" from "shaving" (faroing) either direction. so non-traditionally cut cards get "razor burn" or don't faro when you go against the grain of the cut.

this is all assuming that you aren't just forcing the cards to faro when they don't want to. it should come very easy, like a key and its corresponding lock.

i have no expertise in this field at all. this is just an observation. PLEASE if someone actually knows a better, non-stupid explanation, like mine, to explain this please share.

(just to be clear i am saying my explanation was stupid.)
have you heard the word???

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 03:07:35 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Allow me to clear up some confusion:

A typical deck from USPCC nowadays will faro in both directions as long as your work the cards in. Out of the box they DO NOT faro in both directions because of the way they are cut. Yes, you can force the faro out of the box, but it will most likely fray the edges of the deck.

Traditionally cut cards faro in either direction straight out of the box. I'm not sure if the new USPCC has traditional cutters anymore, because as far as I know the last cards to use this feature with the Richard Turner decks. I have a few gold seal Bikes, and they really are amazing at faroing.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So, there is no more new decks that will faro in both direction out of the box, right?
Then may I ask what decks in past can do that, for example what about jerry's nugget?

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So, there is no more new decks that will faro in both direction out of the box, right?
Then may I ask what decks in past can do that, for example what about jerry's nugget?
I'm not quite sure, I'll have a chat about these things with the USPCC this week and get back to you guys with more info. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm not quite sure, I'll have a chat about these things with the USPCC this week and get back to you guys with more info. :)

Thanks a lot, I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »

norsul

Thanks for all the help guys! Now I don't have to go "hmm..." whenever someone praises cards that  faro in both directions :).