Author (Read 6476 times)

New Deck -- Bicycle Limbo
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Kickstarter for this deck will launch in December!

Here's one of the last revisions of the back design, there still might be slight changes when it goes to print.

Looking into getting more info.

CBJ
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:44:37 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: New Deck -- Bicycle Limbo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hmm, the black shadowing is quite harsh and I hope they do a little bit more work smoothing out some areas. Quite aliased in many of those curves.

Not my style.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I agree completely with Xmetal; also weren't there issues about printing borders that thin?

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I agree completely with Xmetal; also weren't there issues about printing borders that thin?

Probably due to the fact that the cutting is never exact, so it would be easy to tell its not centered.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
nice but it needs work. Also it gives me a headache

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I guess the designer is listening.

A revised version has found it's way into my inbox...

I like these borders much better.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The border makes a HUGE difference... but I'm still not a fan of the design.... its cool but its just not something I would use

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have no idea why, but when I look at them I think "Aristocrat", even though they arent similar.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yeah, the revision is WAY better.  I like the pips integrated in the design but the whole thing looks really 'computer generated', if you know what I mean; it wears its Photoshop on its sleeves.  I think something more interesting that a standard embossing would be cool.  Also, isn't Limbo supposed to be the edge of hell for those who died unsaved by the lovely touch of the baby Jesus or some such thing?  Something about light blue and stripes just doesn't scream 'perpetual torment of those who have done nothing wrong' to me, you know?

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The new pic is better. But not my type anyway.
Too much decks are being released these days.
When does this gone into a fashion?

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The new pic is better. But not my type anyway.
Too much decks are being released these days.
When does this gone into a fashion?

Yah, too many new decks. The standard for decks is so high, any ok deck is really upsetting, when if it were released last year, it would be great. That statement was for decks in general, not just this one.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@Kanped: Using default Photoshop tools, filters, brushes, etc. is something I do all the time. It's even in the Vortex deck! Any designer will tell you that the uses of some of PS's default settings are insanely useful in accomplishing the end result.

However, I do agree on these cards. The embossing is a default feature, but instead of taking it and using it as a shading technique in combination with others, it's just a lonely bevel + emboss not knowing its place on the art work. It's not even shaded properly or color-corrected (blue things don't have black/white shading).

Also, some info on this deck:

From what I have read the back design is by Russell of Circle City. The production is being handled by Robert Butler I believe.

Back designs are easy to make in the sense that they allow for the most flexibility in your art. I am more interested in seeing what the faces are like. At least the Kickstarter is being launched at a smart time as opposed to now which is a hilariously awful time to start up a Kickstarter project for cards. :P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Seriously? These are Circle City? I feel up until now, there decks we're getting progressively better, but this to be produced by them is ashame I think. The Brimstone's, Revision1, and especially the Americana's are much better.

Now I know CC will probably read this, and I'm not hating on your company, but I was just expecting so much more then this.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Here is the background on the deck.

Rob from Modern Manipulator asked me to design a card for him in May of this year.  I was just starting work on my Kickstarter (Brimstone) and I could not finish the deck/design he wanted.  Also, MM was disbanded(?) so I gave him the designs to modify and edit how he wanted to.  I was way to busy at the time to finish the back or start on the fronts.  Rob is now working with another company and they are redesigning the deck with my permission.

I wish him all the luck and I would like to see the project take off for him and his new venture.

- Russell

---edit---

This deck is in no way associated with Circle City Card Co. and it is not our next project.   It was a 1/2 finished design I worked on 6 months ago and I let Rob and his new team modify/redesign them.

Circle City Cards is going to announce our next deck in January 2012 and have it ready to go by Spring.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:54:23 PM by RWKercheval »
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I never meant to imply this is a CC deck - it's not. I figured "Russell from CC" would be a recognizable name instead of "Some guy named Russell."

You guys have seen what Adam & Russell can do. I don't think their work will get worse from here, only better. They're real talented guys and anyone with talent progresses positively over time. There is nothing to worry about, Levi. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Rob from Modern Manipulator asked me to design a card for him in May of this year.  I was just starting work on my Kickstarter (Brimstone) and I could not finish the deck/design he wanted.  Also, MM was disbanded(?) so I gave him the designs to modify and edit how he wanted to.  I was way to busy at the time to finish the back or start on the fronts.  Rob is now working with another company and they are redesigning the deck with my permission.

I wish him all the luck and I would like to see the project take off for him and his new venture.

- Russell

---edit---

This deck is in no way associated with Circle City Card Co. and it is not our next project.   It was a 1/2 finished design I worked on 6 months ago and I let Rob and his new team modify/redesign them.

Circle City Cards is going to announce our next deck in January 2012 and have it ready to go by Spring.

Alright, thanks for the information. I wasn't trying to insult you, I was just letting you know my opinion. I can't wait for your next neck  :)
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
@Alex; oh absolutely, the standard stuff in PS can be really, really useful but when someone as amateur as I am can look at an image and know when a tool has been used, instantly, I think the designer should be thinking outside the box a little bit more.

Always interesting to hear you talk specifics about design choices, all the same.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I guess the designer is listening.

A revised version has found it's way into my inbox...

CBJ

Is he just mailing you designs? Well, tell him that if he's putting heart into the cards he should not use photoshop shapes because that is just lazy and shows no thought and originality.

Also if he's serious he should  probably come out here, introduce himself and start his own thread.

Edit:
@Alex; oh absolutely, the standard stuff in PS can be really, really useful but when someone as amateur as I am can look at an image and know when a tool has been used, instantly, I think the designer should be thinking outside the box a little bit more.

Always interesting to hear you talk specifics about design choices, all the same.

Oh dear you beat me to it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:09:18 PM by PoundFFFFFF »

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Unfortunately the card community hasn't had too much experience with the design world. This is something I am devoting a lot of time to changing in our website.

I can't wait to see the deck of cards that uses default Photoshop shapes for the pips. I almost did for the Vortex, and it was the most horrible looking trash I had ever seen. Then I spent a few hours creating the custom ones, and it was fun, and people like them. I will never understand how someone could look at a premade item and go "hot dog, a finished product!"

Forum Founder.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Unfortunately the card community hasn't had too much experience with the design world. This is something I am devoting a lot of time to changing in our website.

I can't wait to see the deck of cards that uses default Photoshop shapes for the pips. I almost did for the Vortex, and it was the most horrible looking trash I had ever seen. Then I spent a few hours creating the custom ones, and it was fun, and people like them. I will never understand how someone could look at a premade item and go "hot dog, a finished product!"

The PS pips are hilarious. The spades and clubs aren't even isometrical. Good to know that you have a filter sense.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
  The PS pips are hilarious. The spades and clubs aren't even isometrical. Good to know that you have a filter sense.

I think you mean symmetrical. An isometric pip would be interesting to see though.

PS default shapes are great for certain things, but not for official projects for which people pay you money to have. Whenever I walk around campus and see brochures and ads it makes me die a little inside when I see how poorly they were made.

Like when a person is cut from the background with the magic marquee tool (how they teach you in design school) instead of the pen tool and you see little pieces of background around their arms and whatnot.

My favorite was seeing a business card that used a default Photoshop speech bubble (similar to the one at the top right of the Discourse) as the company logo.

If you client/s has/ve no idea what Photoshop comes with, you can get away with anything. And damn does PS come with a lot, especially these days. The default tools cover almost every base. You can even achieve pixel dust using only default tools and no brushes.  ???
Forum Founder.

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I use the magic marquee tool but I mean, you just use the eraser (on 1 pixel) to remove any stray bits of background and it's fine, isn't it?

Actually, we should move this to a Photoshop/design thread rather than hijacking this one.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
How about I release the developer's board so that anyone who creates art or aspires to can jump into the discussions and enjoy?  :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
How about I release the developer's board so that anyone who creates art or aspires to can jump into the discussions and enjoy?  :)
Cool! Can u make it a child board to  Playing Cards Plethora?

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Oddly enough, it appeals more to me if you get rid of everything but the stripes in the background.  ???

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 01:48:57 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Totally agree. So that we will have a real good design decks coming out.
And to prevent the lame design decks that are releasing right now.

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

YES! That would be awesome! I draw a lot and hope to someday design a deck and I think that that board would be awesome to gain knowledge from and would be great for others who want to have their designs reviewed and whatnot. This forum just keeps getting better and better!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I dunno.  I thought the two designs I saw here looked OK.  I'll immediately grant that they're not "classic" in design, and look a little more modern/Photoshoppy than I think the designer may have been shooting for.

Of the more classic modern decks, things like Artifice, White Lions, Bike Premier Back and D&D v4-6 seem to hearken back to classic design elements; simple, elegant, perhaps with a dash of style.  This back looked like it wanted to look more like that but something went a little wrong in the process and isn't quite gellin' like Magellan...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:54:17 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:37:42 AM »

Aron Prins

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

- Russell

---edit---

Hey everyone,

Just to notify you all - ModernManipulator will launch THIS monday, and is not disbanded. It was taken over by TotallyWP ;)

Cheers,
Aron