You are Here:
Memories of the 52+J Convention in Charleston - Oct. 15-18, 2014

Author (Read 11909 times)

Memories of the 52+J Convention in Charleston - Oct. 15-18, 2014
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Our convention is only three weeks away and it promises to be exciting, interesting and beneficial to our collections! There will be a good mix of old-timers, newer collectors and designers and we have a jam-packed schedule - but with an afternoon and evening off to see the sights of the beautiful city.

Lots of details of the schedule, convention hotel, etc. on the club website  www.52plusjoker.org/dnn 

A special evening on Thursday the 16th when Jackson Robinson and Bill Kalush unveil the long-awaited club deck and hold a session for designers and collectors.

It's not too late to register and arrange to come to Charleston for a great event.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:12:03 AM by Don Boyer »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: 52 Plus Joker Convention in Charleston - Oct. 15-18
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm kicking myself for not being able to attend.  I have bigger fish to fry, financially speaking.  (Translation: my car is still dead.)

Trust me, if you aren't already a member - you're going to want to be!  Tom mentioned to me earlier today about the option to join the club AT THE CONVENTION, so if you're a chronic procrastinator, it's STILL not too late!  (If you want more details, send him a PM.)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Our convention is only three weeks away and it promises to be exciting, interesting and beneficial to our collections! There will be a good mix of old-timers, newer collectors and designers and we have a jam-packed schedule - but with an afternoon and evening off to see the sights of the beautiful city.

Lots of details of the schedule, convention hotel, etc. on the club website  www.52plusjoker.org/dnn 

A special evening on Thursday the 16th when Jackson Robinson and Bill Kalush unveil the long-awaited club deck and hold a session for designers and collectors.

It's not too late to register and arrange to come to Charleston for a great event.
Found this quote, that relates to the convention, from Jackson Robinson in the 52 Plus Joker board .
I'lI will give you just a little bit... :) One of the new design features that I would like to point out about this new deck is the tuck case. While I won't show any pictures of it I will say that I have finally gotten the incredible opportunity to create a deck that has a hard telescoping slip tuck like the vintage decks of the late 19th and early 20th century.

The decks are finished, buffed and waxed and sparkling like brand new Christmas presents under the tree. They look absolutely fabulous and they are by far one of my favorite decks I have designed yet, as I was able to do some stuff I have never done before. This deck is going to be the deck of the year to have, hands down. Even better news, the slip case is only the tip of the ice berg with this deck. :)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:47:29 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Found this quote, that relates to the convention, from Jackson Robinson in the 52 Plus Joker board .
I'lI will give you just a little bit... :) One of the new design features that I would like to point out about this new deck is the tuck case. While I won't show any pictures of it I will say that I have finally gotten the incredible opportunity to create a deck that has a hard telescoping slip tuck like the vintage decks of the late 19th and early 20th century.

The decks are finished, buffed and waxed and sparkling like brand new Christmas presents under the tree. They look absolutely fabulous and they are by far one of my favorite decks I have designed yet, as I was able to do some stuff I have never done before. This deck is going to be the deck of the year to have, hands down. Even better news, the slip case is only the tip of the ice berg with this deck. :)

There's one thing not mentioned here - the convention will be the ONLY place for most people to get their hands on this deck.  While some might go on sale to members after the convention, it's contingent on a number of factors, not the least of which being the number of decks remaining.  Non-members will not be able to get these at retail anywhere after the con unless an aftermarket dealer gets beat-the-odds lucky and finds one or two or a member sells a deck on eBay - expect to pay a premium.

Again, like I said - kicking my butt for having to miss it.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This was posted by the Expert PCC Discourse Agent on their company topic a short while ago.
Original post at http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=6437.0

Expert Playing Card is so excited we can barely stand it!
Just back from a visit to our Taiwan factory and we can now confirm that the absolutely amazing 52 Plus Joker deck designed for the club by Jackson Robinson is a reality!
We are very proud to have worked with a number of club members and Jackson to create what will likely be considered the deck of the year.
Even though we would love to post a picture it's been decided that the deck will be launched at a special cocktail party to be held at the Club convention coming up mid October in Charleston, SC. This will be the first place to see this deck and also be the way to buy it!
Dying of curiosity yet? Then it's time to register for the convention and come see this deck and everything else planned for Charleston.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
This was posted by the Expert PCC Discourse Agent on their company topic a short while ago.
Original post at http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=6437.0

Expert Playing Card is so excited we can barely stand it!
Just back from a visit to our Taiwan factory and we can now confirm that the absolutely amazing 52 Plus Joker deck designed for the club by Jackson Robinson is a reality!
We are very proud to have worked with a number of club members and Jackson to create what will likely be considered the deck of the year.
Even though we would love to post a picture it's been decided that the deck will be launched at a special cocktail party to be held at the Club convention coming up mid October in Charleston, SC. This will be the first place to see this deck and also be the way to buy it!
Dying of curiosity yet? Then it's time to register for the convention and come see this deck and everything else planned for Charleston.

A first class designed deck for a first class card club. Happy to hear Jackson is the one who will design this for 52 Plus Joker.

I wish I could attend the convention. I will be a member soon. Hopefully sometime in 2015. South Carolina is absolutely beautiful. Have a great time people!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:08:22 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 01:37:38 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

There's one thing not mentioned here - the convention will be the ONLY place for most people to get their hands on this deck.  While some might go on sale to members after the convention, it's contingent on a number of factors, not the least of which being the number of decks remaining.  Non-members will not be able to get these at retail anywhere after the con unless an aftermarket dealer gets beat-the-odds lucky and finds one or two or a member sells a deck on eBay - expect to pay a premium.

Again, like I said - kicking my butt for having to miss it.

Now I'm curious. So an international member not going to the convention cannot get the deck as well? Not that i'm a member yet, but sometimes it's really these regional events and extra cost for international members that kind of let me down. I know what they offer on 52plusjokers is great, but paying more to not be able to attend such conventions and now missing out on stuff is a real bummer, no?

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:36:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Now I'm curious. So an international member not going to the convention cannot get the deck as well? Not that i'm a member yet, but sometimes it's really these regional events and extra cost for international members that kind of let me down. I know what they offer on 52plusjokers is great, but paying more to not be able to attend such conventions and now missing out on stuff is a real bummer, no?

The biggest expense of the International membership is the cost of sending the "Clear the Decks" newsletter in the mail four times a year.  There's been discussions of ways to make International memberships more affordable, but there's been nothing set in stone as of yet.

I'm speaking not as an officer of the club.  I'm not, just an ordinary member.  Tom's word is the official word.  Details for anything taking place after the con in regards to the exclusive deck, to my knowledge, have not yet been arranged - hence the hedging in my phrasing.  Hell, I'm a domestic member not going to the con and I might have to depend on the kindness of strangers (and club members) to get any of those decks for myself!  As stated, the deck will probably be made available to members after the con, but consider that few will be made and the con is the first place they're going to be available.  It's the non-members, not the International members, that will be left in the cold.

As far as any regional events - that's up to you and any members in your region!  The club officers can assist a bit with notifying the members about any regional event you might want to create, but it's all in your hands (the collective you, as in you and your fellow members living within driving distance).  It can be as simple as a few guys meeting in a diner, a library or a magic shop for a little show-and-tell with some of the gems in your collection and some trading of whatever extras you have lying around, or you can get fancy and arrange for a guest speaker or a movie screening or whatever strikes your interest.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:37:52 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 03:18:22 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

The biggest expense of the International membership is the cost of sending the "Clear the Decks" newsletter in the mail four times a year.  There's been discussions of ways to make International memberships more affordable, but there's been nothing set in stone as of yet.

I'm speaking not as an officer of the club.  I'm not, just an ordinary member.  Tom's word is the official word.  Details for anything taking place after the con in regards to the exclusive deck, to my knowledge, have not yet been arranged - hence the hedging in my phrasing.  Hell, I'm a domestic member not going to the con and I might have to depend on the kindness of strangers (and club members) to get any of those decks for myself!  As stated, the deck will probably be made available to members after the con, but consider that few will be made and the con is the first place they're going to be available.  It's the non-members, not the International members, that will be left in the cold.

As far as any regional events - that's up to you and any members in your region!  The club officers can assist a bit with notifying the members about any regional event you might want to create, but it's all in your hands (the collective you, as in you and your fellow members living within driving distance).  It can be as simple as a few guys meeting in a diner, a library or a magic shop for a little show-and-tell with some of the gems in your collection and some trading of whatever extras you have lying around, or you can get fancy and arrange for a guest speaker or a movie screening or whatever strikes your interest.

I'm very sure members in the region can always arrange for the meet-up. It is just the bigger conventions and such that we are missing out and thus stopping my membership application. I don't personally know them yet, but i know people behind the Virts and Bicycle Visions are very nearby me. Arranging to meet up (depending on if they want to :P ) is one thing. Missing out on launches, new technology, new stuff, or even talking to Tom Dawson, Jackson or Bill Kalush personally at bigger conventions is another.

Maybe the audience here is not as huge as it is in the US, but i thought it would be nice to see such conventions held in Europe and in Asia for members from that continent. After all, an air ticket to Taiwan (since EPCC is there) is much cheaper compared to an air ticket to the US.

I know many factors apply, and creating a "membership club" isn't that easy. Most probably it is just a ranting from me filled with jealousy. I just thought it would be nice to see international members getting the good stuff for once.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 05:04:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm very sure members in the region can always arrange for the meet-up. It is just the bigger conventions and such that we are missing out and thus stopping my membership application. I don't personally know them yet, but i know people behind the Virts and Bicycle Visions are very nearby me. Arranging to meet up (depending on if they want to :P ) is one thing. Missing out on launches, new technology, new stuff, or even talking to Tom Dawson, Jackson or Bill Kalush personally at bigger conventions is another.

Maybe the audience here is not as huge as it is in the US, but i thought it would be nice to see such conventions held in Europe and in Asia for members from that continent. After all, an air ticket to Taiwan (since EPCC is there) is much cheaper compared to an air ticket to the US.

I know many factors apply, and creating a "membership club" isn't that easy. Most probably it is just a ranting from me filled with jealousy. I just thought it would be nice to see international members getting the good stuff for once.

Well, this "big stuff" you're talking about is really just one thing: the annual convention.  One per year, that's pretty much it.  Everything else, any smaller gatherings or what have you, just happens as it happens.

Launches, new tech, new stuff?  What are you talking about?  It's only in the last few conventions that they've even been getting deck artists and people talking about modern decks!  For a long time, the club was largely concerned only with vintage and antique cards - this pretty much precluded the odds of them talking to the original artists of, for example, the Bicycle Rider Back, or any of the pre-Civil War decks...  :))  So while it's new and a big deal to you, it's just as new and just as big a deal to the rest of us!

You miss out on talking to people at conventions?  Have you considered ASKING?  Lee Asher has had at least two tours in Asia in the brief time I've known him, just over two years.  Bill Kalush is there often for business - and his wife's family is from China, if I'm not mistaken.  Lawrence Sullivan is based in Hong Kong, as is Zenneth Kok - and Zen has the Coterie of Prestidigitation Artists there as well.  There's a pretty healthy number of "card people" who either visit the region or live there!  Extend these people an invitation and you might just get what you're looking for!  If you're fortunate, they can squeeze you into their pre-made travel plans.

If you spoke with Tom Dawson about seriously organizing a convention in your hemisphere, I think he'd be happy to lend any support he could, including getting the word out and trying to arrange for big-ticket names to be there.  For what it's worth, I'd be happy to try reaching out to a few people and seeing what can be done about visiting.

Let me put this in the simplest possible terms - you will get out of this club, or any other club you ever belong to that's a genuine club and not simply a promotional tool, exactly what you put into it.  If you want to have a cool con on your side of the world, YOU are the only thing stopping you!

The first Star Trek convention in the early 1970s had perhaps a few dozen attendees.  I'd guess the first San Diego Comic Con wasn't much larger.  Both are now HUGE institutions.  It all starts SOMEWHERE.  Why not make it start with YOU?  Get together some friends, talk about what you'd like to do for your first-ever Asian 52+J con, and get in touch with us back here so we can offer any assistance we can to make it at least a modest success and perhaps the start of something much bigger down the road.  I'll talk to anyone I can about coming to see you, in my part of the world as well as yours - and I doubt I'm the only person in the club willing to assist.

Are you in the club now?  I noticed you don't have the club rank.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:04:55 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Just to comment on few of the points discussed  by PI and Don.
  • The mailing is why we charge international members $10 extra dollars a year
  • We have about 30 international members in UK, Europe, Australia, Asia, etc.
  • We usually get 4-6 international members at our convention
  • There is an international pc collectors club, http://www.i-p-c-s.org/
  • Many countries have their own clubs as well - and they have regular meetings
  • 52+Joker would be glad to support any group in developing a mini-convention of its own
  • The club deck has been produced in limited numbers. Attendees at the convention will be able to purchase one a a steeply discounted price and one or two more at regular price. We will ensure that all club members will be able to buy at least one from the club between the end on the convention and December 31st

Hope this helps and glad to answer any further questions.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

• The club deck has been produced in limited numbers. Attendees at the convention will be able to purchase one a a steeply discounted price and one or two more at regular price. We will ensure that all club members will be able to buy at least one from the club between the end on the convention and December 31st
WOW! Just received a proof of the Club deck. These will demonstrate why Jackson is such a sought-after designer and Expert PCC a producer of top-notch cards. You'll be wanting one!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
"Clear the Decks" newsletter is the reason I'm a member and the past newsletters are a wealth of information you just can't find on the internet.  Now the 52+Joker has its own deck.  Nice step forward.  In 2015, can something be done with the website?  http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/  Can we knock the dust off? Or make the transition to here.  I know ppl get set in their ways, but it's like a ghost town in there.  It's like a repository of names and maybe a few links to other ppl's shops.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
"Clear the Decks" newsletter is the reason I'm a member and the past newsletters are a wealth of information you just can't find on the internet.  Now the 52+Joker has its own deck.  Nice step forward.  In 2015, can something be done with the website?  http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/  Can we knock the dust off? Or make the transition to here.  I know ppl get set in their ways, but it's like a ghost town in there.  It's like a repository of names and maybe a few links to other ppl's shops.
Website refresh/renewal is big priority in next two months.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 01:55:26 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
If you haven't joined 52 Plus Joker yet, and the new exclusive 52+ deck hasn't swayed you to join.........then let me give you a few more reasons.

Still 1 more day to go at the convention, and it's been a blast. a bunch of us were up until 2am night before last telling stories, and solving world problems. Great conversations with everyone. Great mix of new and vintage decks. If you want to know more about the older stuff...then join and be here next year. The knowledge base is mind blowing.

There's also this......

Alex Chin, Randy Butterfield, Paul Carpenter, Steve Brooks, Lance T. Miller, Jackson Robinson, and Bill Kalush

A few new items I picked up (along with 3-52+ decks..........NO there not for sale :bosswalk:)

...........and a few I brought down to have signed

I'll have a few more photos tomorrow- some new- some vintage.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 05:33:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You DO realize how jealous I am of all you folks right now, yes?

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
You DO realize how jealous I am of all you folks right now, yes?
I echo Rob's remarks and Don we really miss you. You are not allowed to ever miss again.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yep, I'm in.....finally taking that step into vintage decks and what better place to get the down low than 52 Plus Joker. Signed up yesterday and can't wait for next year, I heard some rumors of the location, but I'm not going to get my hopes up, lol.

Glad everyone is having a great time and already impatiently waiting for next year.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I'll be in too, once I figure out if I pay first or pay later lol. ??? That's a weird sign up page.

I bet you guys have had an absolute blast. I have the jealous feeling too haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 01:52:54 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Another great day at the 52 Plus Joker convention.

a few more pickups

52 Plus Pack Jackets

A few more decks from home that got signed

A nice gift from Russell- a Texas playing card proto deck- Thank you

Now the Vintage pickups

A few little gems from Tom

and lastly I'll leave you with this

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:03:01 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 07:57:50 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That is one awesome haul Rob..........I'm very jealous  :-[

....next year  :)

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Tom and I have been lucky to have been at every one of the 24 52+joker conventions and they have all been terrific, seriously. However this might have been the very best one ever!  Why?  Four wonderful and amazing presentations; lots of enthusiastic buying, trading and selling, two successful auctions, one live, one silent, a great banquet and a fascinating card design expose by Jackson (Robinson) on our beautiful new club deck for members only.

But the thing that really made this convention such a hit was the meshing of two worlds brought together by a common passion for the playing card. Everyone young and old had things to show and share. The antique card collectors were fascinated by the amazing new design decks and the new collectors were awed by what they saw in the old stuff and everyone left far richer (and poorer!) for this experience.

I hope we will be able to meet more collectors next year as there will be so much for us all to enjoy. We are bursting with ideas!

Please join 52 plus joker and join in the fun - We will all benefit!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:01:44 PM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As with last year, I had a really great time at the convention this time around. The amount of things to look at and take inspiration from as a designer is off the charts, and everyone young and old is welcoming and generous with their time and expertise. Even if you only collect modern decks, there is plenty to see and do, and I wager that within an hour of pouring through those lovely old vintage decks you will start to love playing cards even more.

Consider joining 52+Jokers, the yearly cost is cheap and the benefits are pretty great.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 07:03:56 PM »

cbkimble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I just started collecting cards this year and have found a great passion for it. I found out about the 52+ joker convention on united cardists website and straddled the fence for months on whether to go or not. I cannot express what a great decision I made in deciding to attend. I had such an amazing time. Everyone there was so friendly and made me feel very welcome. The older members had such a vast knowledge of decks and history of cards and card collecting. Also, there were hundreds of decks that were available for sell/trade and I wanted to so many of them but I am on a budget.  :( There were several of today's top card designers and it was great to meet and get to know them.

I'd like to thank everyone for making me feel welcome.

If you haven't joined 52+ joker yet, there is no time like the present. Think about it and also about attending next years conventions. It'll definitely be a decision you will not regret.  :D

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I just started collecting cards this year and have found a great passion for it. I found out about the 52+ joker convention on united cardists website and straddled the fence for months on whether to go or not. I cannot express what a great decision I made in deciding to attend. I had such an amazing time. Everyone there was so friendly and made me feel very welcome. The older members had such a vast knowledge of decks and history of cards and card collecting. Also, there were hundreds of decks that were available for sell/trade and I wanted to so many of them but I am on a budget.  :( There were several of today's top card designers and it was great to meet and get to know them.

I'd like to thank everyone for making me feel welcome.

If you haven't joined 52+ joker yet, there is no time like the present. Think about it and also about attending next years conventions. It'll definitely be a decision you will not regret.  :D

Glad to hear you enjoyed the convention CB. It was my first one as well. Really was a great time. glad you joined the forum as well. When you get a chance, let us know a little more about yourself in the introduce yourself.

Another great thing about the convention. What a beautiful city to see. Just rich with history

According to the purveyor of this "beverage facility", this is the oldest building in Charleston.

And a few old signs that hang inside

and this was the scary place
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:33:15 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB