Author (Read 6923 times)

NEW DECK - Mythos: Cthulhu Calls by 4PM DESIGNS
« on: July 31, 2012, 02:56:08 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUcEBjCPc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hello gang! The above video is a sneak peek of our follow up to The Grid Bicycle® deck, Mythos: Cthulhu Calls. The next deck from 4PM DESIGNS. This is an early look into the deck's design which we have been working on for two months. All the courts are currently being hand drawn, with about 90% of the deck completed. Of course things are open to suggestion so your creative input is always appreciated.

DESIGN
Mythos: Cthulhu Calls is inspired by the legendary art and mythology of Lovecraft's Cthulhu. Each card has been hand drawn then computer corrected to be as symmetrical as possible. The backs and faces are rendered with stone textures resembling the ancient ruins which have been lost in the underworld city of R'lyeh. Each back with the seal of Cthulhu himself. Familiar to the Cult of Cthulhu, is the infamous chant "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", riddled throughout every card. However, you don't have to be a fan of Cthulhu to enjoy this deck. We made sure we kept the overall design universal for those who just want a great deck.

The one thing I am really excited to debut is our set of pips, designed to give each card an elegant and ancient look. We decided to focus on a level of detail with the pips that are mostly overlooked by designers. Cthulhu mythology is all about the ancient and undiscovered. So these pips are a reflection of that world. Others have redesigned the pip, we wanted to reinvent it. Something that has to be taken in, instead of simply overlooked. We hope these designs will fulfill that goal.

Every ounce of design contains a hint of Cthulhu's charm. Tentacles, twists and twirls are consistent and cleverly designed throughout. Every card contains a lite unique border featuring each card's specific pip. The back border being surrounded by all four pips. However, like the Mythos of Cthulhu, you must look close to discover the details. Another addition to this deck is the inclusion of four corner pips. Something rarely seen in the custom card world. Now everyone's flourishes will look fantastic, despite your hand orientation.

USPCC SPECS
Mythos will be printed on USPCC's premium Bee paper stock to provide the best quality the world's most popular playing card company can manufacture. Featuring a rendition of a popular finish we call Magick Finish. Each card will be printed with beautiful metallic inks to highlight pips, numbers and designs throughout.

Limited Edition decks will also be manufactured containing Foil Printed Tuck Boxes. These will have a one time limited run of 1,500.

RELEASE
As of now, we are just getting things started with promoting this deck before we launch a kickstarter campaign. Our current focus is getting The Grid in the hands of our backers. Once The Grid is out and about, we will begin to move forward with Mythos. Consider this the sneak peek and stay tuned for updates. You can also see the progression of the deck in the coming weeks though our website at: www.4pmdesigns.webs.com.

PS. The deck and tuck box featured in the video is a demo deck. It does NOT have the same quality the final product will have.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:06:25 AM by 4pm Designer »
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

Re: NEW DECK - Mythos: Cthulhu Calls by 4PM DESIGNS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:37:02 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
the design is awesome , i like it but then i hate the 4 pips design 

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:19:15 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Those backs are gorgeous.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
You bastard.  I was working on the exact same thing for the past week.  :-[  Well, back to the 'drawing board'...

In all seriousness though, they look great so far.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
You bastard.  I was working on the exact same thing for the past week.  :-[  Well, back to the 'drawing board'...

Make them anyway Russell
If there is one thing I always say is
"You can never have to many Eldritch decks"
that and
" Never piss where you are going only piss where you have been" 
But I don't think that one is appropriate in this situation

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I agree with Utterfool. Doesn't mean you still can't release something similar. I've always been impressed with the decks you guys have, especially Brimstone. It was a shame I got into the game after your decks were funded because I would've backed all of them. I think you guys can release a pretty good deck with a similar theme.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Again, I was only working on it for a week. I only really had the theme and general layout designed. Perhaps next year, I already have been working on two other decks (one's in production) the other is announced in the official CCCC thread.

Back on topic of THESE cards....

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:13:47 AM by Russell CircleCityCards »
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Those designs look really awesome. I think I like them more than The Grid. I can't wait to see your company grow and your projects become as important as those of the big 4.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »

Noobmachine

The back is AMAZING!!! But I have to agree with some of the others, the4 pip design is a little weird.... I guess it does make the deck lefty friendly which is always a good thing for our left handed comrades.
Empty lousy signature is lousy and empty :(

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Personally, the 4 pip design doesn't seem to bother me in any way. I actually find that it adds style in a sense.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:04:12 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
UPDATE: We have a few new images of our demo deck featuring some new design elements and our new 2 way back. More additions have been made but images will be posted soon. Tell us what you think and stay tuned for details on the project launch.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 03:07:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing - an off-white-on-white pattern in the back borders?  If so, it's intriguing.  If not, I need to see my eye doctor soon, anyway...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 04:16:37 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
at a glance of it..it gives me a devo and skulkor mix feeling..

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:02 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing - an off-white-on-white pattern in the back borders?  If so, it's intriguing.  If not, I need to see my eye doctor soon, anyway...  :))

Yes it's actually a grey tone of all the pips as a border. The demo deck shows up a bit lighter than expected so it's something we might darken a tad in the final product.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

Yes it's actually a grey tone of all the pips as a border. The demo deck shows up a bit lighter than expected so it's something we might darken a tad in the final product.

Please don't
The barely noticeable effect gained from the offwhite (grey) is fantastic.
I think it is much more insidious when it lurks there just out of sight. Much like one of Lovecrafts other dimensional creatures.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:57:50 PM by Utterfool »

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the two way back, and I much prefer the one way back. I feel the two way back takes away from the rest if the card and the beautiful surrounding area. Besides, the one way is pretty subtle. I feel this deck will be more pleasing if the original one way back was indeed used.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »

Assassino13

• YouTube:
I disagree with loldudex. I think it looks much better as a two-way back.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I disagree with loldudex. I think it looks much better as a two-way back.

Actually, now that I look at I look at the two-way back on my computer (instead of my phone) I feel it looks a lot nicer then I thought it looked originally. While I still prefer the one way back, it doesn't bother me as much.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Please don't
The barely noticeable affect gained from the offwhite (grey) is fantastic.
I think it is much more insidious when it lurks there just out of sight. Much like one of Lovecrafts other dimensional creatures.

I think you're right. It's just one of those things as a designer I know the details of the image and have a need for every detail to be seen. In this case however, you may be correct, its more effective barely seen.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The 2 way back looks sooo much better! Now all it needs is thinner borders  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:52:59 PM by Evan »

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Please don't
The barely noticeable affect gained from the offwhite (grey) is fantastic.

I think you're right. It's just one of those things as a designer I know the details of the image and have a need for every detail to be seen. In this case however, you may be correct, its more effective barely seen.

I agree whole-heartedly.  Why use a sledgehammer when a feather will do nicely?  :))  Subtlety in design should be used so much more often than it is, and this is a great example of why.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
UPDATE:
We are working on a new design of the Limited Edition foil tuck box for Mythos. It's something that has not been done before and the USPCC is now working with their former printers to develop the special foil tuck for us. It's a first for custom decks. Hoping it turns out great. The only downside is that it may also make the Limited Editions one of the most expensive decks in cost. We are also planning to only have 1,500 made, with approx. 1,000 available through kickstarter.

Stay tuned!

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Hey 4pm Designer,

I was just browsing around Kickstarter and noticed a new Cthulhu Bicycle Deck that just started a campaign, and they're actually quite nice. Just thought you might want the heads up in case you planned on launching this week also.

Here's the project:  http://kck.st/PeAVeP

thanks, Randy

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Yeh I noticed the titles on his page and rewards are really similar to The Grid page. Hmmmm

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeh I noticed the titles on his page and rewards are really similar to The Grid page. Hmmmm

This isn't too much different from when the BeDeceived Mystery deck and the HOPC NOC decks came out - people commented about the nearly-identical back design (or in that particular case, the LACK of one).

Go forth and make your deck anyway.  Theirs is a Bicycle deck, and as such has some restrictions on what can and can't go in it.  The restrictions are less stringent for a fully-customized deck like the one you're planning to make - so make it really stand out from the other deck.  Their deck back is kinda bland in a one-color design...