You are Here:
Pictorial Review: Double Black - 1st & 2nd edition (Gamblers Warehouse)

Author (Read 527 times)

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame

Introducing Gambler's Warehouse

Gambler's Warehouse is based in Texas, and while they have close connections with the gaming industry in Las Vegas, they are especially serious about playing cards.  You only need to visit their subsidiary website PlayingCards Dot Net, to get some sense of the enormous selection they have available for sale.  They have been part of the playing card industry for more than two decades, and are passionate the design, production, and use of decks of cards.  They have gained a very positive reputation in assisting many designers of playing cards make their playing card projects a reality via crowd-funding, in part due to the strong relationship and connections they have with well known printer, US Playing Card Company.

But Gambler's Warehouse also produces high quality custom playing cards of their own design, and that's what this series of reviews is all about.  In a previous review, I have taken a close look at the Alloy series of Playing Cards that they produced  - you can see that review here.  I was super impressed with these decks, and they quickly became among my personal favourites.  Now it's time to look at some of the other playing cards they have produced in-house.  The Double Black deck was their very first project, and currently they have a Kickstarter running for a refined Second Edition of this classic.

Double Black Playing Cards

I've taken a look at black decks before, such as the Black Tiger deck from Ellusionist, which I reviewed here.  Designed by John Powell, the Double Black deck is another black deck, with a distinguished jet black look.

First Edition

The original Double Black deck was created in both an unbranded version and a branded Bicycle version.

The tuck box features a inky black cardboard, which is finished with a very classy looking silver foil.  It also has a 7 of Spades card reveal on the tuck box flap.

This was the first ever custom deck produced by Gamblers Warehouse, and their vision for this deck was for a James Bond style deck: "We envisioned a deck of playing cards that someone as deadly and debonair as James Bond would pull out of their suit at a card game-- Classy and sleek with just enough customization to be unique, yet still hold the classic style of traditional playing cards. With this concept in mind, Double Black was born."

The card backs feature a "black on black" design, with a very light grey providing some texture and details, including the signature Double X that is the hall-mark of this deck.

The black suits feature the same black with grey used to depict the artwork, and a lighter grey for the indices.

A splash of vibrant colour is provided for the red suits, such as the court cards seen here.  These have a hint of red which is used to accent artwork details like flowers and gems.

The cards do have a very dark appearance, as shown by these Aces, which are in keeping with the stated aim of this deck, which is deliberately geared to be a dark and yet elegant deck that a tuxedo-clad James Bond type hero might use.

The number cards have similar style and pip design.

The Jokers both are marked by an X, and feature a black figure juggling.

Also included with the Double Black deck is a gaff card (split J of Hearts / Queen of Clubs), plus an ad card.

Second Edition

The second edition of the Double Black deck is currently up for funding on Kickstarter here.

Designed by Blackout Brother, the second edition is a redesigned version of the original, and has more elaborate and clearer illustrations.

Funding has already surpassed the target amount, so this deck will be printed, and will eventually make its way to retailers, but you can already get involved in supporting this project.

Like the original, two different editions are available, an unbranded Classic edition, and a Bicycle branded Limited edition, which will have slightly different card backs.

Conclusions

Double Black decks: This deck is a sleek deck that James Bond types will appreciate, given its dark tone and jet black appearance. Due to its minimal use of colours, it's not the most functional, since the grey doesn't show up very brightly against the black background. Even so it offers a classy feel and look that will suit some gaming tables, and be enjoyed by some collectors. The Second Edition does make up for the weaknesses of the first edition, however, and looks to be a solid improvement on the original, that makes it more usable, while still ensuring a classy black look. Unquestionably sleek!

Card quality: All the decks that I've looked at and own that have been produced by Gamblers have been outstanding quality, and are typically produced by United States Playing Card Company or Expert Playing Cards.  The Double Black decks I've reviewed above are USPCC produced decks.  These  have a high quality card stock and finish, that ensures both durability and good handling, and is exactly the kind of quality that most people will be familiar with from a quality Bicycle style deck.    And in every case, the cards are packaged in an appropriate and attractive tuck box, which is very true here as well, especially with all the gold and silver foil, which makes an instant positive first impression!

Recommendation

I continue to be impressed by the decks produced by Gamblers Warehouse.  In an earlier review, I gave a glowing report about their Alloy deck, which featured remarkable iridescent foil on both the back and the front of the cards - an industry first, and a remarkable achievement.  Not only can you purchase their own decks at their subsidiary playingcards.net website, but they also have a wide range of other quality playing cards for sale there too.

In addition to this, Gamblers Warehouse also acts as a fulfilment company for a lot of other card designers, who rely on their expertise and experience.  Clearly, these guys know what they're doing, and I know that if I was producing my own deck via crowd-funding, I'd definitely be considering them as a partner to assist with this.  If my positive experiences are anything to go by, this is a reliable and a good choice to consider as a source for quality playing cards. I can certainly recommend their products highly.

Want to learn more? 
Gamblers Warehouse: http://gamblerswarehouse.com
Playing Cards Dot Net: http://playingcards.net

Direct links for the Double Black decks featured in this review:
- First Edition: Unbranded
- First Edition: Bicycle Branded
- Second Edition (Kickstarter)

The Double Black deck is also available at your favourite Murphy's Magic retailer. See the product page at Murphy's Magic
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:58:55 PM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=