You are Here:
New member here with six old decks.

Author (Read 1348 times)

New member here with six old decks.
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »

twaits

• Newcomer
Hello. I'm a new member and have loved playing cards since I was a kid. These are six decks that have been in my family for many years, they were probably all my Grandfather's. I've always wanted more info on them. So any info you experts can provide would be much appreciated!
There may be a couple of decks that are in the wrong boxes but I'm not sure. I'm sure you guys will probably know.
Also any advice on how to repair some of these ratty boxes would be appreciated. Thank you all so much!

This deck is obviously in the wrong box as the box is marked Parker Brothers

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:26:18 AM by twaits »

Re: New member here with six old decks.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »

twaits

• Newcomer
Sorry these photos are so wide here. I'm currently trying to figure out how to make them a little smaller in imgur. Please be patient.

edit: never mind. figured it out!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:47:53 AM by twaits »

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:05 PM »

andrew daugherty

• 52 Plus Joker Member
You have excellent examples of early USPC and related companies' decks. Each should stand out in your collection.

Racer back Bicycles come from a time when USPC sold Bikes with designs other than the Rider back. The L should put the deck about 1950. Racers were fairly common to find in stores back then.

The whiskey deck likely doesn't belong in the old Tally Ho box. It comes from a time when distillers gave away decks with special aces, jokers and backs. They are still out there, usually printed in red, blue, brown and green. Card collectors and whiskey/alcohol collectors love these. Decks usually come with a special box as well.

Standard USPC Tourist deck has hard-to-find back design.

The narrow Congress deck is likely early late 1920s-early 1930s. It is part of a series of "narrow named" Art Deco backs that are also collectible. You can find the title on the bottom of each card back. The rich colors, gilt edges and sophisticated printing made these cards stand out at bridge tables. The colors still are bold 80+ years later. Other manufacturers made their own lines of these colorful cards. CPCC -- Chicago Playing Card Collectors -- has catalogued these cards for reference. They are especially popular among singles collectors.

The wide Congress deck is even older, and it is an excellent specimen to show Congress back designs were always among the fanciest and most colorful, even before slimmer, bridge-sized cards became popular. Many of these backs also have names and are catalogued through CPCC.

Parker Brothers sold playing cards in the early half of the 20th century; however, I am not familiar if the company outsourced them to USPC or other companies. I've not been able to tell much from my sole -- and very worn -- Parker Brothers deck, other than people played hundreds of games with the deck.

Finally: Leave the boxes as is.

Enjoy. Happy to answer any questions!

Andrew

Chris Turner
52 + Joker and CPCC member.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:37:57 AM by andrew daugherty »

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:16:33 AM »

twaits

• Newcomer
Andrew,

Thank you so much for the very detailed reply! This is very good info. This is a great forum.

-Erik

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
That gilded edge Congress deck is gorgeous
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »

Great Lakes Playing Card Co.

• True Member
  • Open to learning and growing
Great couple of decks. Thanks for sharing.
Just getting started in collecting playing cards.  Any help is appreciated.  TY.