Origins - Shadows of History

Author (Read 2566 times)

Origins - Shadows of History
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hi everyone, hope you've had a great year so far.  Just thought I'd drop in and update you on my latest project.  The Shadows of History deck is a follow up to my Origins pair in 2014.  The original Origins decks involved research across a range of rare originals from the 16th century.  This new deck will be full colour with updated and refined art work, focusing more on the detail in a deck by Pierre Marechal in 1567.  I've completed solid drafts of most of the artwork and I'm now into refining styles and details and working on campaign planning etc. Slow going getting quotes, but the goal is a deck of the same high quality as the first Origins decks - premium tuck stock, embossed, foiled, high end card stock. I don't have the info I need to throw out dates, but when I have more detail I'll let you know. Always happy to hear your thoughts.  Cheers guys :)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:12:57 AM by Rick Davidson »

Re: Origins - Shadows of History
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:29:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Looks like you have a very good follow-up project on your hands!  I'll be interested in seeing the progress.

Hey - maybe this is the deck where you go for foil stamping on the cards!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like this a lot. Continues to show off your skill with transition from top to bottom on the mirrored courts. Even so I can't help but say that I would love to see your interpretation of the full body court rather than the mirrored court this time. The card back is both interesting and exciting from the box render. I enjoy action in a card back and I see it all over on this.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Hey thanks Don, Fess.  I'd aim for a deck that handles and plays well first up, but foil backs and gilding might be options for a limited run.  Yet to handle a foil back or inspect the quality, but should have one shortly. 

I'm really tempted to do the full body courts, perhaps more faithful to the originals.  Not sure how easy that would be to fund alone, but could possibly make a nice supplement to this deck.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Great to hear you're thinking about something with full body courts. I think that could be something very special given your style with the half body courts. I can't say for funding but, never know until you try. I think you'd be surprised.  ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 12:21:59 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Given your history and your great art I think a full body court would do just fine, especially since it's a re-imagining of a classic deck.  If nothing else, doing it as a special limited edition variant could work.  I would be much more interested if it were like the originals with full body court anyhow.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 03:50:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Hey thanks Don, Fess.  I'd aim for a deck that handles and plays well first up, but foil backs and gilding might be options for a limited run.  Yet to handle a foil back or inspect the quality, but should have one shortly. 

I'm really tempted to do the full body courts, perhaps more faithful to the originals.  Not sure how easy that would be to fund alone, but could possibly make a nice supplement to this deck.

There is a small trend to make cards with full-body courts - as long as they have two opposed indices, they're perfectly playable.  The artistic value of such a deck would certainly help get it funded, I'm sure - people love a beautiful card, and done well, full-body courts can be quite beautiful.  Based on the art you're showing us here, I think full-body courts in this deck would look awesome.

But if you were worried about getting it funded...what stops you from going both ways?  (hee hee hee)

You could make the deck in the standard, modern form, with double-headed courts, if you were concerned about getting it funded.  But as either an add-on-stretch goal, etc., you could make a set of additional cards that could be used as swappable cards - full-body courts, Aces with full-sized ornate pips, etc.

There's sort of a precedent for this with the Phoenix deck - the standard issue deck in red and blue comes with a single Joker and three extra Aces (diamonds, clubs and hearts) with oversized pips on the same scale as the Ace of Spades.  The deck was designed for magicians and the designer felt that the large-pip versions would be popular because they're more visual, but didn't want to alienate any magicians who didn't prefer them, so both versions come in every deck.

Now, you likely wouldn't be able to offer a full set in every deck, but you could offer the extra cards.  You could even make an oversized box to go with them, something along the lines of the Arcane Tarot/Poker deck - it's a poker deck offered in black and white, with a third deck of all the extra cards needed to convert a black deck and a white deck into tarot decks, plus there's an oversized box available made to hold each deck with the extra cards as a tarot deck.

It's something to consider.  But even if you don't want to go to such an extreme, you could easily make full-figure courts and the deck would be popular enough that you'd succeed with it on Kickstarter.  You have a solid following from the original Origins deck - you're not likely to scare them away with full-figure courts!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 04:21:21 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I really like this :)
The colours and line-work are just beautiful - it's also nice to see the side-by-side comparison, where your re-interpretation brings out the essence (stance and personality) of each character while bringing them to life with something new. I like the idea of full figure, but I also think these look fabulous!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well that's encouraging on the full body, thanks guys.  Really interesting thoughts on the extra cards Don, might be worth looking into.  I'll check out the Phoenix cheers.  Also exploring foil / luxe backs and how the original decks were packaged which is pretty exciting. Chatting with manufacturers now on possibilities

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:27:53 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Rick Davidson - JUst know the suit indicator doesn't always have to be on the top left.  It can be Left or Right.  It is just a big indicator of what the suit is.  On your JoH, your axe seem a bit short.  You can get rid of the walking stick.  I know the JoH had an axe and a dagger when it first came out.  Just like the KoC and KoS had swords while the KoH and KoD had axes...  You seem to know your history...   

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:51 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

A quick update on the project. I have pushed on with the recreation of the historic 1547 deck and heading to Kickstarter this weekend. So two decks now. Busy time! Here are a few shots from the campaign.  Thanks again for your feedback, always appreciated.

Video trailer - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dpDQ1cNks

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 12:36:06 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Fun, I like it alot. I'll be there for sure.  :)

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 05:26:50 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks Fess :)  And guys, a quick thanks for the campaign support.  Ticking along, fingers crossed.  You can see the second deck there - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rickdavidson/origins-shadows-of-history-playing-cards

I will never be as good as Erdnase...