You are Here:
Question Re: Bicycle Cyclist Neon Misprint

Author (Read 664 times)

Question Re: Bicycle Cyclist Neon Misprint
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

Great Lakes Playing Card Co.

• True Member
  • Open to learning and growing
Question regarding the Bicycle Cyclist Neon Misprint...

Is there a way to tell if the deck contains the misprint without opening the deck?

Found one deck at a Walmart and haven't opened it yet.  Found another Walmart that has 6+ decks still hanging in the aisle.  I bought 2 of them.  Thinking of opening one of them to see if it contains the misprint.  Do you think that would be an indication that the others still at the store might contain the misprint?  Does it even matter?  Is there a market/desire out there for these decks?  Did they run a reprint/fix?

Also...
I did hear from "BicycleTeam" directly that..."there is no way to know if it is one of the decks you are referring to with out opening it."

Thanks.  New/getting back into playing cards.  Trying to learn as I go.
Just getting started in collecting playing cards.  Any help is appreciated.  TY.

Re: Question Re: Bicycle Cyclist Neon Misprint
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »

BrandonBlaq

• Newcomer
I went around looking for these, outta 5 Walmarts only one had them. I honestly didn't see them (being 6'3") but my wife spotted them. They only had 3 packs and the deck I chose to open had a miss cut on the 6 of hearts.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:27:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Question regarding the Bicycle Cyclist Neon Misprint...

Is there a way to tell if the deck contains the misprint without opening the deck?

Found one deck at a Walmart and haven't opened it yet.  Found another Walmart that has 6+ decks still hanging in the aisle.  I bought 2 of them.  Thinking of opening one of them to see if it contains the misprint.  Do you think that would be an indication that the others still at the store might contain the misprint?  Does it even matter?  Is there a market/desire out there for these decks?  Did they run a reprint/fix?

Also...
I did hear from "BicycleTeam" directly that..."there is no way to know if it is one of the decks you are referring to with out opening it."

Thanks.  New/getting back into playing cards.  Trying to learn as I go.

Some collectors place a premium on misprinted decks, but I don't think that most do, especially in cases where you can't tell the difference between the misprinted deck and the corrected version, or in cases where there is no corrected version and all existing copies are misprinted.

Magicians like to find these misprints now and then - often they can be used as "gaff" cards in certain types of magic tricks.  Professionally printed gaff cards can be expensive, so finding one that's been "misprinted" for the same price as a regular deck is sort of a boon!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »

• True Member
Thanks for your insight Don.

Having a bit of a background I understand about a magician being able to use one as a gaff card.  I only wish they were in a more "normal" back design to mix well into a routine.  Although, the bright color could add a great pop to a routine with a darker backed card (Ex. Bicycle w/ a black back.)

Does anyone know if Bicycle did reprint/fix these on a future print run or do ALL of the decks printed have a mis-printed 10D?

Just getting started in collecting playing cards.  Any help is appreciated.  TY.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »

• True Member
I did open one of the packs and it does have the misprinted 10D.