You are Here:
G'Day from Australia!

Author (Read 1112 times)

G'Day from Australia!
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »

Claire G

Hi!

My name is Claire Green. I'm a 2nd year uni student from Australia who has recently become obsessed with playing cards. Thought this would be an awesome forum to join  :D

I had a recent assignment where I had to create some playing cards and the response I had from students and teachers was quite positive...

I really look forward to sharing it here and getting feedback  :)

What else about me? I have a silly Siamese cat and I love to spend my day chilling and drawing whilst listening to music, namely Jean Michel Jarre, The Eagles and Pink Floyd.

Re: G'Day from Australia!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 02:09:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi!

My name is Claire Green. I'm a 2nd year uni student from Australia who has recently become obsessed with playing cards. Thought this would be an awesome forum to join  :D

I had a recent assignment where I had to create some playing cards and the response I had from students and teachers was quite positive...

I really look forward to sharing it here and getting feedback  :)

What else about me? I have a silly Siamese cat and I love to spend my day chilling and drawing whilst listening to music, namely Jean Michel Jarre, The Eagles and Pink Floyd.

Welcome to the forum.  Eagles fan?  You'd be jealous - I got to see a Don Henley concert last month, free, on Coney Island in New York City!

Tell us more about your obsession - are you looking to collect, design, ogle, etc.?  I do consulting work for designers now and then, especially experienced artists that are new to playing cards.

Artists sometimes have some great ideas for making cards beautiful, but occasionally they get tripped up on making them practical and functional as well!  I also run into artists who are striving too hard to make something unique, which often means they pay more attention to form and not enough to function - playing cards have evolved over a few centuries into what they are now, so it takes some hubris to think a newbie designer can re-invent them overnight and make something better!  I have to remind some designers that "unique" and "good" are not necessarily synonyms!  Sure, some ideas are spectacular, but most times, sticking at least a little closer to the framework of the standard works in your favor, especially when you're making something you plan to sell to the public.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 02:25:52 AM »

Claire G

Damn I am jealous... >:( Always wanted to see them!

I honestly enjoy ogling them. You are right that "unique" and "good" are not necessarily synonyms as I've come across some gorgeous decks that lack any possibility to play with. Like they are really nice to look at but the pips and colour scheme makes it difficult to see the numbers and figure out what card you actually have.

I am actually finishing up a design at the moment. I posted my design looking for feedback on here but still waiting for the moderator approval. Still a newbie  :)

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 02:53:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am actually finishing up a design at the moment. I posted my design looking for feedback on here but still waiting for the moderator approval. Still a newbie  :)

Moderator approval isn't required to post a design idea for feedback.  I've already responded!

BTW, if you want to see Henley, you'd better hurry - he was already 70 years old when I saw him!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:55:00 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 02:58:56 AM »

Claire G

I know! Shame I missed out on them when they came Down Under last year I think.

At least I got to see Fleetwood Mac to make up for it!

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Welcome Claire :)
Didn't realise you were a local - it's nice to meet a fellow girl from Oz :)
Like you, I have a furry feline assistant and love the process of designing cards - Good luck with your new deck project and I look forward to seeing more from you around here!

*wave*

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »

Claire G

*wave*  :)

Oh I will be here more often as soon as my exams are over. Currently just currently stalking everyone's posts  ;D