You are Here:
Upgrading printers as a Kickstarter stretch goal?

Author (Read 1407 times)

Upgrading printers as a Kickstarter stretch goal?
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:51:20 AM »

RandCo

• True Member
Is it reasonable to offer a custom deck on Kickstarter with MPC as the printer with stretch goals of upgrading to Expert Playing Card Company then upgrading to USPCC (possibly as a Bicycle brand as well)?

The main difference between these printers in terms of a total Kickstarter goal is the minimum print run.  USPCC has a minimum of 2500 decks, Expert has a minimum of 1,000 decks, and MPC has no minimum, but a practical minimum in terms of individual deck cost is 500 decks.

Using MPC would allow for a lower stretch goal with more possibility for success, then if the design is popular, the ability to upgrade the quality of the cards. Extras such as metallic inks, foil, and embossing could also be stretch goal options.

Would potential backers be influenced by these stretch goals?

Have any card designers used this method?

Re: Upgrading printers as a Kickstarter stretch goal?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:43:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Many card designers have used the exact method you describe to get their decks off the ground.  It's not as popular now because of Expert and Legends having such low minimum print runs, though that does raise the per-deck costs quite a bit.

Double-check with USPC - I know that at one time recently, they were offering minimums as low as 1,000 decks but then raised it up again.  They might be able to offer you a slightly lower print run, perhaps 2,000, but you'll be paying more per deck the less you have printed, no matter what printer you end up with.

There's another factor to consider.  I know many artists use MPC for their prototype deck printing.  USPC is terribly expensive while MPC is a pittance in comparison.  They'll have a handful of decks made up so they have something to show off in photos and demo videos, usually anywhere from one to a dozen.  Some even give these decks to reviewers or as promo decks to generate interest in the project.  My point here is that by having MPC make you a few prototypes before you even launch, you'll not just have some idea of what your deck looks like, but you'll know EXACTLY what it will look like when you have MPC make it for you.  You may decide "Yes, this is just fine for my project, I'm pleased with it and will go with them as my printer."  Or you may decide, "You know what, this is merely OK - it'll work for demo videos and a little cardistry to show off the design, but I really want it made with a better printer."  While some people take the "stretch goal upgrade" route, some will either stick to the low end, practically insuring that they'll meet their goal and get their deck made, or they'll decide that they really want to hold out for the better printer and will simply build the project's costs and goal around getting it done with a first-tier company like USPC or a high-end boutique company like EPCC or LPCC.  I've even been hearing good things about Cartamundi lately - I don't own a single good Cartamundi deck, but my decks are older; the word is that they've recently started offering a new stock for cardistry that's a worthwhile contender and they always have done decent print work.

Hope this gives you enough food for thought to whet your appetite without making you choke!  ;)  Good luck and I look forward to seeing your project.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »

willroya

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
USPCC minimum run is 1,000 for unbranded deck, +/- 10%.  Also prototype decks are popular rewards during a campaign.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »

RandCo

• True Member
Thanks for the information Don and Will. 

The USPCC website says a minimum of 2,500 for custom cards, but I'm assuming you have contacted them and received more options.  In my experience working with their custom cards division I have learned there are options not mentioned on their website. For example, they may be open to splitting a print run of the cards and tucks into 2 versions with different ink colors to make a Poker Set.  The artwork for the decks need to be identical though because they will be using the same printing plates for each run.

There is one major printing difference between MPC and USPCC, Expert, and Legends.  MPC does not offer metallic inks or foil on the cards.  They offer foil on the tucks (only 3 colors available), but I have not seen a metallic ink option.  USPCC, Expert, and Legends offer custom PMS spot colors, metallic inks, foil, and embossing.  MPC is 4 color process only.

For prototypes I have used The Game Crafter. They are good for printing early prototypes.  A printed deck with a coated textured finish to simulate a good deck of playing cards is only about $10.00 (shrink wrapped).  The quality is good enough for photographing the cards.  Their custom tuck boxes are not good for photography though because the stock they use is too thin.

A prototype deck with the tuck box printed by MPC is about $25 - $30, the quality is good and will work for photos and videos. Plus as Don says, if you use MPC for the actual printing of the decks it will be an exact match.  I am assuming they use the same printing equipment for prototypes and long runs, but I may be wrong.

MPC also has a Rigid Box option, which is a box like the ones used for board games.  It's an interesting option and the cost is not much more than a tuck box.  The colors on the Rigid Box are not an exact match to the cards though and a few test prototypes might need to be printed to get an exact match.  They also have custom Poker Set Boxes and Brick Boxes.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 02:02:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the information Don and Will. 

The USPCC website says a minimum of 2,500 for custom cards, but I'm assuming you have contacted them and received more options.  In my experience working with their custom cards division I have learned there are options not mentioned on their website. For example, they may be open to splitting a print run of the cards and tucks into 2 versions with different ink colors to make a Poker Set.  The artwork for the decks need to be identical though because they will be using the same printing plates for each run.

There is one major printing difference between MPC and USPCC, Expert, and Legends.  MPC does not offer metallic inks or foil on the cards.  They offer foil on the tucks (only 3 colors available), but I have not seen a metallic ink option.  USPCC, Expert, and Legends offer custom PMS spot colors, metallic inks, foil, and embossing.  MPC is 4 color process only.

For prototypes I have used The Game Crafter. They are good for printing early prototypes.  A printed deck with a coated textured finish to simulate a good deck of playing cards is only about $10.00 (shrink wrapped).  The quality is good enough for photographing the cards.  Their custom tuck boxes are not good for photography though because the stock they use is too thin.

A prototype deck with the tuck box printed by MPC is about $25 - $30, the quality is good and will work for photos and videos. Plus as Don says, if you use MPC for the actual printing of the decks it will be an exact match.  I am assuming they use the same printing equipment for prototypes and long runs, but I may be wrong.

MPC also has a Rigid Box option, which is a box like the ones used for board games.  It's an interesting option and the cost is not much more than a tuck box.  The colors on the Rigid Box are not an exact match to the cards though and a few test prototypes might need to be printed to get an exact match.  They also have custom Poker Set Boxes and Brick Boxes.

The reason why MPC has only four colors and why their print runs come out the same as their "prototypes" is that they use a digital press for all their print work, while the others you mentioned use offset presses for print runs and digital presses only for prototypes (though I'd guess Game Crafter is also all-digital, based on pricing).  MPC has upped the game a bit in their quality, but they're still more of a budget/second-tier printer.  For some projects, that's all you need, so why spend more?  You go high-end if the deck you're making is targeted to an audience that wants high-end appearance and needs high-end performance.  If all you want is a simple, pretty deck, though, MPC will do the job adequately and save you and your customers a few bucks, or allow you to make a deck in a print run that's so short it would otherwise not get made at all.  I've seen a good number of projects with a $1,000 goal get funded and made - without companies like MPC, that wouldn't happen.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/