You are Here:
Origins playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 5405 times)

Origins playing Cards (KS)
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
ooops forgot we obviously had a post in the design section   feel free to merge and move

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rickdavidson/origins-playing-cards-inspired-by-history

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:34:57 AM by badpete69 »

Re: Origins playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
ooops forgot we obviously had a post in the design section   feel free to merge and move

Not needed.  When a project goes to print or to KS, we make a new topic here.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Ooo ok then all good

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
So gorgeous. (And at least I got the 1 of 50 deal!)

Only problem: I keep seeing the octopus bearded King. Thank goodness you got rid of him. Reminded me altogether too much of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

Anyway congratulations Rick, and best of luck with it.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I've followed this project since its beginnings. The back design is gorgeous.

The court cards are still a bit inconsistent for me. It feels like more time was spent on particular court cards then others. I'm not liking the use of gradient on the court cards.

We've seen so many decks. Calling the limited edition "Grail" seems so tacky.

I can't bring myself to spend the money.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:21:57 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »

Simmeon

• Newcomer
The attention to detail on the back covers are insanely glorious. Love the crispness of the design.
I prefer the darker version, as it doesn't have the addition text on the box - but not by much.
Read the latest Deck Reviews every Sunday.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey guys.  Sparkz, I'm so stoked you grabbed the historic.  I was pretty sure someone on the forum would have it, glad it was you.

A busy first day but settling down now, hard work begins.  Just wanted to drop in and say thanks, right through this process I've come to this forum for brutally honest and expert opinion.  And the feedback here has really come through in the deck.  Haha I'm still traumatised by the Octo King myself and I still can't help seeing it, so every time I go back to that card, the beard gets a tweak.  That changed the intended style of the deck completely.

Don was the first person I talked to and he gave me great pointers I needed to get going, so thanks Don.  Anon I get where you're coming from :)  But I really appreciate your advice as well, some of the best I had.   I'm still tweaking the cards to give them a little more unity.

Anyway, thanks so much for the support you guys, it means a lot.  The Discourse will get a mention toward the end of the campaign

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Very nice deck. I don't browse the design board too often so these are the first time I have seen them. If I hadn't refocused my collecting onto vintage decks, I would definitely be picking these up. The tuck on the First editions look sweet. Good luck on your KS campaign.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey guys.  Sparkz, I'm so stoked you grabbed the historic.  I was pretty sure someone on the forum would have it, glad it was you.

A busy first day but settling down now, hard work begins.  Just wanted to drop in and say thanks, right through this process I've come to this forum for brutally honest and expert opinion.  And the feedback here has really come through in the deck.  Haha I'm still traumatised by the Octo King myself and I still can't help seeing it, so every time I go back to that card, the beard gets a tweak.  That changed the intended style of the deck completely.

Don was the first person I talked to and he gave me great pointers I needed to get going, so thanks Don.  Anon I get where you're coming from :)  But I really appreciate your advice as well, some of the best I had.   I'm still tweaking the cards to give them a little more unity.

Anyway, thanks so much for the support you guys, it means a lot.  The Discourse will get a mention toward the end of the campaign

No, No, Thank you Rick! The Historic First is an amazing stroke of luck, and I'm floored by it, was shocked when it went through. Really looking forward to the progression on your project. Really beautiful work. 

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 08:16:14 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very nice design! I love the gold on black, and the design reminds me of Monarchs, one of my favorites. I'm in!

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Rick, I really do admire your work and skill. You know the old saying... "Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone's got one." I hate being honest. That's just how I feel. I'm sure your project will do great and I wish you all the best.

If it makes you feel more optimistic, I did not back any of Jackson Robinson's decks either. We all know how well those did on Kickstarter and how much people love them. I think Jackson is an incredible talent and Illustrator. Sometimes great art does not make a great playing card.  I did buy a signed reserve note screen print from Jackson's website.

I look forward to seeing more from you. I hope this becomes a jumping-off point for you and other great projects.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:42:28 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:48:14 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
I've also been watching the development of these since the beginning, well, I was more or less lurking in the background, silently saying, "my precious" while drooling over the deck's development.  To say I'm glad the day's finally here and they've been launched is a gross understatement.   I came close the the $1 pledge as I was able to select it but not process it.  Guess Sparkz was hitting F5 faster than I was.  ;)   Still was able to get in on the early bird  and got an uncut on the side.  Just hope that the Grail deck is able to get printed as I do like the white more than the black.  But that's not to say the black isn't phenomenal in it's own right. 

-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Don was the first person I talked to and he gave me great pointers I needed to get going, so thanks Don.

You're welcome.  I'm glad to hear that my contributions were helpful to you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Just hope that the Grail deck is able to get printed as I do like the white more than the black.  But that's not to say the black isn't phenomenal in it's own right.

Same sentiments here.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hi Rick
Just had a note from Paul Bostock about you and Origins. Suggested to him that you get on Discourse, came here and found you were way ahead of me!! Great looking deck and I'm sure you'll find it a big success.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Tom, hello!  Very nice to hear from you.  Small world!  And thank you.  Yes the Discourse is a great bunch of people :)

Thanks for the support guys.  Here are some updated concept shots

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very nice work! Looking forward to these!

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I love this deck, lost my kickstarter virginity to these. ;)

But I so wish that he'd put back the original borders around the courts. They tied in so very nicely with the border on the back and around the AoS.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey Leif,  these are the original ornate borders, just a little thinner.  May just bump them up a fraction tho

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Hey Leif,  these are the original ornate borders, just a little thinner.  May just bump them up a fraction tho

Keep em thin!  ;)
- Tom

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:30 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Haha that's great, that's my favourite actor right there.  Thanks for the smile Magic.  I'm still tossing and turning over the borders.  Never happy

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 04:16:42 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
They are? On my crappy 1024x768 it looks like some grey, grainy, standard border. But I'm sure you do what feels right, and best for you.

Keep em thin!  ;)

Darn, why did you have to come here with that funny stuff?  ;)

Anyway, Rick, I know that I've been pretty vocal RE. the border. (I still think you should keep that nice, thick border from your original postings.)

Nevertheless, I'd like to present you with an idea, something to please everyone, perhaps. (Yeah, right, who am I kidding?)

Let's see, these are the versions I've heard opinions about:

1. With a gorgeous, thick, great looking border. all art inside the border.
2. With a thin border. all art inside.
3. With a border, art passing through the border.
4. No border.

Make the FE with whatever most backers seem to like most, make the Grail with what You like most, release a SE with a third version later. and a TE with the fourth version...

Add skulls and some steampunk and make a fifth version... >:(

(30 minutes later)
OK, I've revisited the design topic, with the old thick borders. I can now understand why some people might not like them as much as I do. They might actually benefit from being a little thinner, as Magic pointed out. On my screen, however, the border colour mix rather unluckily with, especially, the colour on the arm of the jack. It is probably just my crappy screen.

I'm sure you can come up with the best decision, If you are happy with it, I'm happy.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
...nice, thick border...

...gorgeous, thick, great looking border...

These are oxymorons in my book, like "delicious green eggs" or "functional square wheels" :))
- Tom

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Quick new update on design

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 09:06:41 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Home stretch for Rick and the Origins deck, time to make the Grail deck a reality! Gratz on a great campaign Rick!!