You are Here:
Two New Colors of Rider Backs Found At Walmart. 2017 "Fashion" Decks?

Author (Read 493 times)

MrSlaybury

I always make it a point to browse Walmart's Celebrations department for Rider Back Color variations.  When I started collecting in 2015, I learned about the dual Fashion Decks that seem to be exclusive to Walmart.  Something about colors inspired by the trends seen during Fashion Week somewhere (can't remember where).

In 2015 there was Daybreak and Marsala, 2016 had Indigo and Coral.  I'd been looking online for any news on 2017 Fashion Decks, but hadn't found anything.  Last night, in the Celebrations department, I saw two brand new decks.  One is a weird Gold/yellow on black, and the other is a two toned blue, kind of like a dark turquoise and aquamarine.  The faces are what you'd expect from a Fashion deck, the back's colors trickling through the courts and pips.

I've since spent a ton of time trying to get some info on them, at the very least the official "colors" of the deck.  The have thin borders, two full size jokers, a double backer, and were printed May 2017.  Based on how they faro, it also seems like a Traditional Cut was applied, at least on the two decks I've opened.  They were US$2.97 per deck.

I know there's waaaay more exciting decks out there lol, but the Fashion Decks sparked my interest in collecting, so I'll always make sure to keep them in my collection.  I bought those decks before I even knew a custom card industry existed!  Has anyone seen any official news on these?  I've emailed USPCC, so hopefully they'll get back to me this upcoming week :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:42:59 PM by MrSlaybury »

Re: Two New Colors of Rider Backs Found At Walmart. 2017 "Fashion" Decks?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:44:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Based on how they faro, it also seems like a Traditional Cut was applied, at least on the two decks I've opened.

I learned that occasionally, decks do get made with a traditional cut unintentionally!

What's been happening is that USPC, while adjusting to the new digs, noticed that the new cutter occasionally gets balky and jams, but that feeding in the paper upside-down can usually solve the issue.  Whenever they flip the paper like this, they're making the deck with a traditional cut.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/