You are Here:
Design feedback request - fibonacci deck reboot

Author (Read 728 times)

Design feedback request - fibonacci deck reboot
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

CTKevinK

• Newcomer
I am creating a deck of cards using the Fibonacci sequence as the theme. I have come up with a possible Ace of Spades design and am looking for feedback.

I will most likely add some other framing or whatnot to the card but am interested in the central Ace design at this point -- before I continue on. The interior of the pip is a portion of a fractal that consists of Fibonacci curves.

Any constructive criticism welcome -- and thank you.

Kevin

Re: Design feedback request - fibonacci deck reboot
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:21:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am creating a deck of cards using the Fibonacci sequence as the theme. I have come up with a possible Ace of Spades design and am looking for feedback.

I will most likely add some other framing or whatnot to the card but am interested in the central Ace design at this point -- before I continue on. The interior of the pip is a portion of a fractal that consists of Fibonacci curves.

Any constructive criticism welcome -- and thank you.

Kevin

I don't know if I'd worry too much about the theme as I would about the artistry of the deck.  Fibonacci curves and fractals were a big deal perhaps twenty-odd years ago, when people started generating them on computers, but would they be considered passé today?  I don't know.  But if you can make a deck that's beautiful, that's artistic, people won't care what it's composed of - they'll just care how attractive it is and how much they want one.  I'd focus more on that.

Another thing to bear in mind - it's nigh impossible to evaluate a deck's entire theme and concept on the face of a single card, even one as prominent in most decks as the Ace of Spades.  What about the card back?  What will the tuck box look like?  There are collectors who actually buy decks based more on how attractive the tuck box is than the actual cards inside of it!  To me, that's like buying a piece of art and displaying it while it's still in the crate, but again, that's just me - people are free to collect for whatever reasons strike their fancy, as long as they can afford to do so.

Present a more completed concept for us and we can give you more advice on it!  Cheers and good luck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Design feedback request - fibonacci deck reboot
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:38:07 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I agree with Don, the design is more important :)

The ace of spades (pip) has an interesting design - though I find the drop shadow a bit too distracting. Looking forward to seeing more cards :)