You are Here:
Weed and Playing Cards - A Case for Hemp

Author (Read 622 times)

Weed and Playing Cards - A Case for Hemp
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »

zincy7

• Newcomer
I don't really care if you smoke weed or if you don't like drugs or whatever. Just here me out.

Hemp paper was used to make the Gutenberg Bible. Hemp paper was used to write the first two drafts of the Declaration of Independence. Hemp, the stalk of the plant that has been the center of the drug war for a century, is finally reaching a point where it can have an impact.

I want to ask what you all think about the idea of taking hemp paper, with fibers that are noticeably stronger and longer lasting than normal paper from trees, and using them as part of card stock. Has anyone thought about the potential use it would have? Not only is it a negative carbon footprint, but it also offers for the potential to control the process of playing card manufacturing even further.

Think about it. With recent developments, paper thickness has become a varying degree to such an extent that you can get custom made Bees with the thickness of Bikes, and vice versa.

So I ask, is this a future that we could see?

Re: Weed and Playing Cards - A Case for Hemp
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I don't really care if you smoke weed or if you don't like drugs or whatever. Just here me out.

Hemp paper was used to make the Gutenberg Bible. Hemp paper was used to write the first two drafts of the Declaration of Independence. Hemp, the stalk of the plant that has been the center of the drug war for a century, is finally reaching a point where it can have an impact.

I want to ask what you all think about the idea of taking hemp paper, with fibers that are noticeably stronger and longer lasting than normal paper from trees, and using them as part of card stock. Has anyone thought about the potential use it would have? Not only is it a negative carbon footprint, but it also offers for the potential to control the process of playing card manufacturing even further.

Think about it. With recent developments, paper thickness has become a varying degree to such an extent that you can get custom made Bees with the thickness of Bikes, and vice versa.

So I ask, is this a future that we could see?

Current US regulations require the use of a paper with a very high post-consumer recycled content.  I don't know how hemp paper would factor into that, or if it would somehow be exempt.  They also require inks and coatings that are easily recycled and devoid of petroleum products, so USPC uses vegetable dyes in their inks and starch instead of plastic in their coatings.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/