Author (Read 711 times)

"The Right of Kings" Conecpt and design
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »

Alexxrivas

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I wanted to share with you and idea that we've been carving for a year+. I wanted to refine the concept in order to present it to you and enrich it as much as possible with all your expert feedback.

So, the Right of Kings was the original name for my initial design, that basically divided the suits into four geographical regions:  Norsemen, South Indie, Oriental and Western (Celtic). In the design, each region present a watermark scripture that is very distinctive of each particular culture. This early design considered was a more orthodox approach in terms of colors and layout.
As I was reading about military formations and medieval engagement rules I decided to give some meaning to the value of the number cards. So I design each card representing their own numbered formation.

THE ROK
Along the way and with the idea to bring something new to the table, we came up with a card game that would enrich the idea of one rightful king. And that is how the ROK (Right of Kings)  game came about. We designed a set of rules and that revolved around the concept of finding the king. We played for rounds and rounds with 2 to 4 player set ups until we finally got to the what is now the official version  of ROK.(I'll share more about this in another post).

As we were designing the game, we came up with the idea of creating a set of unique color suits that would enhance the experience of the board game but at the same time could remain as a collectible playing card set. This is how the Renaissance set came about, Even when the main elements remain the same, the Renaissance set brings lively colors that were thoughtfully selected based on the 5 elements of oriental tradition that considering the cardinal location of the kingdoms.

Now this is the original concept, but I would really like to hear from you and listen to your opinion about:
- Concept and design of the cards
- The idea of military formations for numbered cards
- The idea of launching a board game that runs along with the the playing card set
- What would you change?
- How would you evolve it?

Thanks for your time!

www.TheRightofKings.com
Let our life, our soul and our freedom lay on the King

Re: "The Right of Kings" Conecpt and design
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Since no one else has responded, and this is a few months old, I'll take a crack at it.

First of all, your custom courts are fabulous. I really like the layout and colors, as well as the original concept for the court faces. That said, I think your back design needs a lot of work. It isn't bad, but in comparison to the level of artwork evident in your courts, it just pales in comparison. Your courts betray your talent for graphic art - so I know for a fact you can do much better on the backs. Just my opinion.

I like the writing on the faces as a concept, however it is just too chaotic for me. I can't tell you if it should be removed, or modified somehow to not compete with the design so much.

I love your pips and how you have them laid out.

I think your tuck box needs to really stand out strong on its own. I sort of feel similar about it as your back design. It's good, but perhaps not good enough for the level of deck you are going for. I feel like you have the talent to take it to the next level.

Overall, strong concept, great artwork, and really just a few tweaks should make this a really great deck.
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...