You are Here:
Moku Hanga Inspired Playing Cards

Author (Read 2200 times)

Moku Hanga Inspired Playing Cards
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:21:33 AM »

A Vol d Oiseau

• Newcomer
Hi everyone,

This is our first playing cards project and we would be really happy to get some feedbacks, advice or suggestions from you guys!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:33:28 AM by A Vol d Oiseau »

Re: Moku Hanga Inspired Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
First, and very important - remember to include a link to the project, like THIS ONE!  :))

Overall, I think you have a rather attractive project here, and the price point is pretty good for today's market, particularly for lots of two and three.  But I can point out a few things that might be better.

Speaking of press, who is your printer?  Collectors will want to know.  Some printers are considered top-notch, others not so much.

Speaking of limited quantities, how many decks do you plan to have printed?  It's another thing collectors look for.  Some are all about the rarity - the harder a deck is to obtain, the more it appeals to them.  It's important for the uncut sheets as well.  People want to know the rarity of the items you are offering.

I like the back design and the faces, but there's a problem.  The "faux bamboo" effect makes your cards a one-way design on the backs.  A one-way back design isn't the end of the world, but they do tend to be less popular and avid poker players won't use them at their table because they can be used for certain cheating techniques.  It's even possible, depending on the level of variance from card to card, that the design could be used as a sort of marking system, allowing identification of cards when face down.  I would recommend a bamboo- or cream-colored background instead.

If you really want to retain the bamboo effect, keep it for the faces and make it fade out just before the die line.  Alternately, if you made the bamboo surfaces 100% uniform and radially symmetrical, then you can use it confidently - but I'd still consider the fade at the deck edge.  It's actually a very attractive effect, the most notable examples being the Black Stingers and Red Stingers made by Theory11.

I know the temptation is strong to make your index values look vaguely like kanji, but try not to sacrifice clarity for the design aesthetic.  A few less extraneous details on the K and Q would help.  It's important for indices to be clearly and quickly understood.

I LOVE that boxed set.  Gorgeous.  That should be a big draw for backers.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I think this is a really attractive deck. It's definitely more a collectors deck as apposed to a players deck. For that reason I would leave the indices, and back as they are.
I would do away with the word Dealer around the edge of the coin. I think it takes away from it.
I agree that you need to list the printer. Without knowing the printer, at this price point, I'm out. If it's not USPCC, EPCC, or LPCC, then I'm definitely out. I'm not paying $20(including shipping) for a MPC or other crap deck- JMO.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:29:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think this is a really attractive deck. It's definitely more a collectors deck as apposed to a players deck. For that reason I would leave the indices, and back as they are.
I would do away with the word Dealer around the edge of the coin. I think it takes away from it.
I agree that you need to list the printer. Without knowing the printer, at this price point, I'm out. If it's not USPCC, EPCC, or LPCC, then I'm definitely out. I'm not paying $20(including shipping) for a MPC or other crap deck- JMO.

Well, you know me - function first, form second.  :))

The "DEALER" markings on the coin are perfect - for a DEALER coin.  It distinguishes it nicely from all the other faux Asian coins magicians use in their act.  So as a magician's prop, no - but as a dealer coin, yes!

Call me crazy, but when a deck set ships with goodies like dice and a dealer's coin, it looks like it's meant to be used.  If anything, I think he should seek out a poker chip manufacturer and arrange for a full poker kit in the same style, as well as selling chips in a "one-of-each set."

But oh yeah, we agree about needing to know who's printing this first and foremost.  Some might not be fussy about who makes their playing cards - but real card people are VERY fussy about it.  If it has a high price point, it better have the production values to match, something that few companies can pull off.  For paper decks, USPC, Expert PCC, Legends PCC, Angel Playing Cards (Japan), Paulson, Heraclio Fournier (though I hear they're costly) - these are companies that can pull it off, for the right price.  MPC, Cartamundi, Print Ninja, name-any-fly-by-nighter - these I avoid as much as possible.

The only major exceptions would be the printers that Bent Castle have been using.  I've been told they often end up dealing with a new printer for each deck they make, but they've been consistent about one thing - THICK, HEAVY card stock that may be so-so as far as slip, glide, etc., but is practically bulletproof and built to last.  Makes the Energizer Bunny with a Timex watch look weak by comparison.  Those are cards for PLAYERS - maybe not standard, straight-up poker players, but people who love card games.  The flip-top boxes are practically the M1 Abrams of the box world...

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
From the comments:

"the playing cards are 310 gsm (linen) MPC playing cards"

/bama

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
From the comments:

"the playing cards are 310 gsm (linen) MPC playing cards"

/bama

Yeesh.  I'm not saying MPC is awful - but they're also not worth $15 a pack, not even on a good day.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
That $15 includes international shipping so for me this is actually a cheap(ish) deck in low quantities.  :karrit:
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
$20 with shipping for me. I'm in the same boat as Don. This is an expensive deck. Expensive enough for me to ignore it. I also don't like the font used on the indices. My hiroshige decks have nice indices, why can't these? I guess it's a stylized choice. One that I don't care for at all.

Looks like this is well on it's way to funding. I think that's fantastic even though it's a pass for me.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 06:36:11 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
There's a week left on this project now and it's way over it' funding goal. Not sure if they'll manage to unlock the 2nd deck though.

I caught up with Michael and Perle to find about a bit more about who they are and what brought about this project. You can read the discussion here:

http://www.magasaki.com/#!France-California-and-Japan-as-the-bird-flies/c16ty/550945400cf2393ebb299af5
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Sad to see another deck reinforce designers thinking a makeplayingcards.com deck is worht $15.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Sad to see another deck reinforce designers thinking a makeplayingcards.com deck is worht $15.

I agree with you. I find it hard to understand the price point there.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)