You are Here:
Bryan Berg - Absolutely Incredible Card Structures

Author (Read 2793 times)

Bryan Berg - Absolutely Incredible Card Structures
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
We had this amazing talent at the 52+J convention about 10 years ago in Atlanta. Read, look in awe and enjoy!
Bryan Berg is a professional "cardstacker" who builds houses of cards on a very large scale. Trained as an architect, Bryan Berg is the only known person to make a living building structures with freestanding playing cards. He uses no tape, glue, or tricks, and his method has been tested to support 660 lbs. Per square foot.

Berg has stacked cards for corporate special events, public relations campaigns, and science and children's museums in many U.S. Cities, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Berg's clients have included Walt Disney World, a Lexus commercial, Procter & Gamble, American major league baseball and hockey, and the San Francisco Opera among others. He also participated in a music video by The Bravery, playing a lonely man who builds a fantasy world out of cards. In 2004, Guinness created a record category for World's Largest House of Freestanding Playing Cards to recognize a project Berg built for Walt Disney World, a replica of Cinderella's Castle. In 2010, the record was renewed by himself using 4051 sets of cards, over 218,000 cards, and built in 44 days, a replica of the Venetian Macao.
[b/]
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Bryan Berg - Absolutely Incredible Card Structures
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Very impressive!

I especially like the Holiday Inn display.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Wow, the highest I could ever get a card house was 4-5 stories and I thought I was cool...

I wonder if this was the guy I saw on the old Guinness World Records t.v. show that was on a bunch of years ago. Either way, I cannot image the amount of focus required to pull off stunts like that.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:26:45 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
i'm just wondering how does it not get brought down by a sneeze or something. Really amazing...

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Amazing. I'd love to see this in person someday.

I also wonder how he can get these cards to stay together like he does.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:08:58 PM by jwats01 »
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
i'm just wondering how does it not get brought down by a sneeze or something. Really amazing...
I guess it's physics or something. Because of the support each card gives o the next, etc. it becomes strong and capable of holding significant weight.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
CRAZY!!  ???

I'm with James, I would love to see these up close.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I guess it's physics or something. Because of the support each card gives o the next, etc. it becomes strong and capable of holding significant weight.

Someone trained as an architect, like Bryan Berg, would know about creating structural support and the physics behind it.  He would seem to be very inventive about keeping the cards supporting the weight above without the need for fasteners or adhesives.  I'd be curious if he also achieves this without bending, folding or tearing any of the cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Someone trained as an architect, like Bryan Berg, would know about creating structural support and the physics behind it.  He would seem to be very inventive about keeping the cards supporting the weight above without the need for fasteners or adhesives.  I'd be curious if he also achieves this without bending, folding or tearing any of the cards.
No bends, folds or tears. At our convention he had two edifices built in just over two days. Not a damaged card! Will dig out pictures to post on Sunday when home.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Bryan Berg's website:
 http://www.cardstacker.com/

Great stuff there.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
This is just absolutely amazing  :o

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 01:20:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

No bends, folds or tears. At our convention he had two edifices built in just over two days. Not a damaged card! Will dig out pictures to post on Sunday when home.

Now that right there is VERY impressive.  His knowledge of design and weight-bearing structures must be astounding.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Now that right there is VERY impressive.  His knowledge of design and weight-bearing structures must be astounding.
At our convention the impressive structures he had built in front of our eyes had to be demolished - the hotel didn't want to keep them there! We auctioned off the right to demolish each of them [and keep the cards] for north of $100 to help the Club's finances!  At that time he was nusing USPC cards but I have heard that he is now sponsored by Carta Mundi and uses theirs.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

At our convention the impressive structures he had built in front of our eyes had to be demolished - the hotel didn't want to keep them there! We auctioned off the right to demolish each of them [and keep the cards] for north of $100 to help the Club's finances!  At that time he was nusing USPC cards but I have heard that he is now sponsored by Carta Mundi and uses theirs.

I would just jump into the pile of cards if i'm the one demolishing it.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
One tried to do it card by card and the other threw coins and stuff at it!!!!!!!
Tom Dawson