You are Here:
New to Kickstarter

Author (Read 9482 times)

New to Kickstarter
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:59:51 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
This might be a dumb question but here goes....
I recently signed up for kickstarter to back a deck of cards. After pledging it directed me to an amazon checkout which I thought would be the norm. Today I backed another deck and it asked for my credit card info. Which is fine except after pledging i wondered how the creator would know where to ship them.  It did not ask for an address and after searching through the kickstarter website nowhere did I find where they had that information either. Anyone know how this works?
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

Re: New to Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
1) Generally if the project is working in a currency outside the USD it will not go through Amazon but directly through your CC.

2) At the close of every project you will receive a basic survey through KS.  It will require, at the very least, your mailing address.  Some projects run another survey through an outside service such as Backerkit or Pledge Manager.  These services would often allow you to add on more items after the project closes. 

Hope this helps but feel free to reach out with any other questions. 

EDIT: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  Feel free to PM me if you are embarrassed to ask something in a public forum.  I enjoy helping out the Noobs the best I can!  Bear in mind though that these questions and answers may serve someone in the future if posted in public. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:35:49 AM by kdklown »

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
1) Generally if the project is working in a currency outside the USD it will not go through Amazon but directly through your CC.

2) At the close of every project you will receive a basic survey through KS.  It will require, at the very least, your mailing address.  Some projects run another survey through an outside service such as Backerkit or Pledge Manager.  These services would often allow you to add on more items after the project closes. 

Hope this helps but feel free to reach out with any other questions. 

EDIT: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  Feel free to PM me if you are embarrassed to ask something in a public forum.  I enjoy helping out the Noobs the best I can!  Bear in mind though that these questions and answers may serve someone in the future if posted in public.

A most excellent answer!  :))

So far, KS works in five currencies that I've seen: US dollar, Canadian dollar, Australian dollar, British pound sterling and the euro.  If you aren't in a country using one of those currencies, you can't launch a KS project without having a business partner in a country that does use one of them.

When you see a currency other than your own country's being used for a project, check carefully on the cost of shipping - in most (but not all) cases, they'll be shipping from a country that uses that currency instead of yours, so you'd be considered "international" on the shipping rates, not "domestic".  A notable exception would be the upcoming "Empires Bloodline" deck, which you pay for in Australian dollars but will ship from the US.

Also keep an eye on the payment method used: bank account, credit card, debit card, etc. - your bank will probably charge you a fee for purchasing in a foreign currency, similar to if you went to a currency exchange but usually slightly higher.  In my experience, the fee is often in the ballpark of 1%-2% of the amount charged/paid.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:51:41 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Thank you for the help.  The useful tips are greatly appreciated.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia