You are Here:
Magic: Performance vs Skill, your opinions.

Author (Read 1885 times)

Magic: Performance vs Skill, your opinions.
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Hey guys, Another thought provoking discussion for you.

So, what do you feel makes a better magician, performance style or skill? I would prefer replies that try to avoid simply saying a mix of both, because that is probably is the best answer, but I want to hear what you think of one versus the other.

Personally I feel that the performance ability is what truly creates a successful magician. My reasoning for this is that, unlike magicians, laymen do not know how a trick is executed and cannot appreciate the skill behind certain ones. All of todays famous magicians are know because of their performance style and personality. In my opinion, the way a trick is presented is much more important to what the effect actually is. Since I do not really practise or preform magic much anymore, I think my view come more from a laymen perspective than a magician.

With that being said, since I do understand a fair amount of card and coin slights, as well as stage illusion design; the more technically difficult an effect is the more I personally enjoy watching it. When I see someone perfectly preform difficult slights, like bottom, center and second dealing it is very enjoyable even if it is not presented well.

But overall, I believe that in a laymen point of view that performance trumps skill every time, and that being a great performer is very important if you plan on choosing a magician as a career path. But, as for me, I enjoying trying to learn difficult slights that can impress mainly my magician friends. I just find fiddling with cards quite relaxing, and don't mind spending time trying to learn something difficult, even if I a lot of people do not see the "fruits of my labour".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:25:39 AM by Curt »

Re: Magic: Performance vs Skill, your opinions.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Another magicain I know and I talked about this. This is what we came up with. Option A hey look at this double lift, top card in middle and BAM back on top. Option B Pick any card, have them set there card on top then do fake cuts, shuffles etc. cut deck and now where cards are, use riffle force then use do double lift there card hiden. was this your card? no ok put it in between there hands. "try"to find there card in the deck. ok what was your card. they might look at card in hand now or you can tell them to. then woah my card. because of the performance it was better. if you mess up a bit with the skills they might not even tell. the hand may not be quicker then the eye, but the mind does not always believe what the eyes see.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:55 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
It's tricky.  I mean, the more skillful you are, the less people know it essentially.  However, I really think the answer is creativity; it doesn't matter how difficult or well excecuted a performance is if the audience has seen another magician who has read the same book.  If the effect is truely yours, I think the skill and performance will follow.

I'm definitely not a showman.  I actually like to completely ignore a lot of the patter, I just don't like it.  Like, if someone asks to see a trick sometimes I'll just peek the top card, slip cut the deck (where they say 'stop') and announce the name of the card while handing it to them, which usually just gets a frown (I gottta admit, I like this reaction).  I know they'd be amazed if I stood for 5 minutes saying 'make it clear in your mind' etc. but I really can't stand that stuff.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »

zogbert

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
i think  you need alot of preformance(ness) to look good but you need skill to go with that or you wontr have any outstanding effects

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
i think  you need alot of preformance(ness) to look good but you need skill to go with that or you wontr have any outstanding effects

So, what is more important then? That is why I asked in my OP for anything but an in-between answer. I want some real though to be put into this and a choice of one or the other, and the reasons why you thing it is more important than the other.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
it has to be performance, think of a self working trick, no skill needed but with out a good performance its just a math trick or something. 
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Performance most definitely. As a magician your job is to entertain your audience, without a performance, to the layman, your just doing tricks. The skill that gets you to the effect is more appreciated by other magicians. Layman won't know that you have just done a half pass,elmsley count or whatever,but they will hopefully remember the way you presented the trick.

Billy.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:13:50 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Performance,

We are "Entertainers" part of the entertainment industry, I think lately magic has become to much about fooling magicians with complex but boring routines or ridiculous gimmicks that create underwhelming effects.

Would you rather see someone like David Copperfield perform or someone else who has super complex illusions that he has designed but no performance skills. I know which one id be picking
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
They are both needed, but skill is most important ... simply because the more skill you have the better, cleaner, smoother the effect is going to look. I am not a big fan of patter, only when REALLY needed ...  a lot of effects are so visual that the presentation is not needed, but it is recommended so the spectators dont get lost. Put it this way, can you be a magician with no presentation and a lot of skill? Yes. Can you be a magician with no skill and good presentation? I don't think so.

Just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:26:40 AM by CDXX »

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
I think presentation is the most important. Because skill's you can practice and practice to get perfect - which you should be doing anyway before you perform. But no matter what kind of trick you do without clear presentation that engaged the audience/spectator you won't get the 'wow' effect. I think this comes with more experience then anything. Certain tricks might require you to make 'mistakes' or certain tricks are better done fast or with pauses at the right time and it'll make all the difference during the effect