You are Here:
Help me please, card experts!

Author (Read 772 times)

Help me please, card experts!
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »

CuriousTabbiKatt

• Newcomer
I have a few decks of old cards I'm trying to identify. I'd love to find out if they were worth something as if they are I won't use them, but One has an area code consisting of only a single digit, one has us playing card Co.  Windsor ontario on it and I am sure they are old. they are open but they don't even look like they were used....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:04:04 PM by CuriousTabbiKatt »

Re: Help me please, card experts!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 02:22:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have a few decks of old cards I'm trying to identify. I'd love to find out if they were worth something as if they are I won't use them, but One has an area code consisting of only a single digit, one has us playing card Co.  Windsor ontario on it and I am sure they are old. they are open but they don't even look like they were used....

The advertising deck - that's not a "one-digit area code," I don't think.  I suspect it's just a five-digit phone number, hyphenated much like how seven-digit numbers are hyphenated today, to make them easier to remember.  An area code would likely have been given in parentheses.

Back when I was a kid, even though we had seven-digit phone numbers, area codes were so large, they often didn't bother including area codes on ads - they were intended for local distribution only and people just knew that if you were from a specific city (in this case, Windsor, British Columbia), that you had a specific area code.  Today, with so many devices requiring phone numbers, there's a lot of overlapping codes, and that doesn't even begin to account for mobile devices that people take with them from location to location as they move around.  That five-digit phone number must be from WAY back in the early days of dialed telephones!

They look like really interesting finds.  The top two decks are clearly from Canada - depending on their age, they might even have been printed in Canada.

I wish I had more info for you, but that's all I've got.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/