You are Here:
Duck Deck

Author (Read 644 times)

Duck Deck
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »

Nova

• Newcomer
Hi Guys,
This is my first thread in the design en development board, hopefully one of many. I am a Dutch webdesigner with a hobby in graphic design. Do not expect my decks to be state of the art in matters of output quality but rather a (very) creative view on deck design. It's a hobby of mine not a kickstarter project.

The first deck idea I have is the Duck deck. Its inspired on Donald Duck and co but in a more mature way pictured. The central themes in this deck should be gambling and donald duck styled ducks. I want the deck to look very comic book like, but still maintain as much as possible of the original deck design style like the one eyed kings, jacks, the dark queen of spades etc. I finished the kings and queens but I am very curious to your comments / improvements. As well as suggestions for the Jacks since I am not really sure what I should do for these.

Any reply is appreciated.

Re: Duck Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a cool design, but be careful - Disney's lawyers have a long reach and they might consider your designs to be some form of copyright infringement.  Perhaps making your ducks a little more unique and a little less "Donald-esque" would be better?

Another important note - collectors want originality in their designs.  Your Kings and Queens are practically identical to each other except for some color changes and very minor design tweaks.  Original artwork for each card would go further in increasing the popular appeal.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:10:42 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Duck Deck
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Don pretty much said what I was thinking (great minds...  ;D)

I can tell you as Don said, Disney is known to be very litigious about their intellectual property. If you released this project as is, I'd be shocked if they didn't file a lawsuit against you. I don't want to discourage you, but rather try to keep you out of legal trouble. You're a talented artist - is there perhaps a different animal you could cartoonize to avoid potential trouble? Good luck...
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...