Author (Read 2057 times)

Removing the Cellophane vs. Breaking the Seal
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Hi collectors!

I have a question for people who specialize in modern decks ... (I'm mainly an antique guy - in more ways than one!  ;))

Here's my issue: I have a display of modern decks in my living room. The problem is, the light tends to reflect and glare off the cellophane, and they don't look as good as I'd like. Some decks in particular have fairly 'loose' cellophane, which makes the reflection even more distracting. ..

I'd like to remove the cellophane from my decks to make my display more visually appealing, but I don't plan on breaking the seals.

Does removing the cellophane count as 'opening' the deck? ... In other words, is removing the cellophane OK if the seal remains intact? ... or will I basically be making the decks worthless? Is a sealed deck with no cellophane still considered 'sealed'? Does it depend on the deck? Would you consider buying a sealed deck without cellophane?

I'd love some opinions on this!

Thanks in advance!

Kruser
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:07:32 PM by Kruser »
"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

Re: Removing the Cellophane vs. Breaking the Seal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:34:30 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Cello is a pain. Some of it's better than others but it sucks on most every display. I strongly suggest the It's your collection do what you like approach.  ;)

Quick answer for me personally. I'll buy a deck with no Cello fine, providing the seal is intact and hasn't been pulled. Then it's trickery and I don't care for that kind of nonsense. A broken seal can break a deal for me in a second, depending on the purpose I have for the deck. I fit in the going to use the deck category of collector.

By and large, people who collect tuck boxes tend to like their boxes protected by the cello wrap. I can offer up a deck that has no cello for trade and not get the trade done simply because of that. I don't sell decks so that's really not my dept. I can only use input from my experiences but....

In the end it's Modern Playing Cards we're talking about. Pull the cello if you like, your display will thank you. Just remember keep them clean and be happy. You're not likely to get whatever the ebay high is if you choose to resell them. You'll probably end up at a fair price though. None of them are really going to dent your bottom line if you choose to trade or sell them at some point in the future. If someone wants the deck, they'll make the trade or buy it. It's just that simple. Modern playing cards are modern playing cards.

Word of warning: On some decks with the heavy plastic seals, the cello is what actually keeps the things stuck down.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
In general, modern collectors like to purchase decks that are in "as issued" condition.  Removing the cellophane from a deck that had cellophane when it was manufactured means that it's no longer "as issued."  This will not render the deck worthless, but it will in the eyes of many reduce its value, even if the deck was never actually opened.

Having said that, it's really hard to say just what these decks will be worth down the road, so don't freak out too much over doing what you want with your decks.  Hell, open and play with them, even!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:38:23 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Great advice, as usual, from our seasoned veterans!

I'm gonna start pulling the cello from the worst offenders ... !

Thanks guys!

Kruser

"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »

Shade

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • "Better 2 Burn Out - Than Fade Away!"
Many of my display decks came with no cellophane due to being signed or special decks. I have started pulling some of the cellophane on some of my decks, especially if I have several. They look 100% better that way in the Carat Cases, especially the black tucks.

Now I haven't done that with many of my super rare decks, due to the loss in value. I did do it to one of my Liturgy decks since it came in an extremely loose package (wouldn't even call it cellophane) that was sealed, but would not fit in the Carat Case properly. Worse case I would sell it with the Carat Case, and hopefully get most of the value.

Bottom line go for it.

PS. get the designer to sign it on the tuck then you have an excuse   :D