"REVOLVE" Kickstarter preview

Author (Read 4112 times)

"REVOLVE" Kickstarter preview
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/609584552/1473526128?token=c570c77d    This is a quick preview of animation and mock-up of cards. Art work 100% complete and approval from bicycles legal department to use there branding. I am going to keep it simple and not create a stretch goals. I figure the simpler the ordering the faster I can get product to backers. I created animation, music and all art. Thanks for looking and please wish me luck.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:45:17 PM by Rob Wright »
Art Art Art.

Re: New Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Is this an early draft for the KS page? Or are you going to be fleshing it out more?

I would include information like your inspiration for the deck, design choices, sell it a little, give us something to read and a reason to back your project over the hundreds of other card projects out there. Tell us about your history with cards, why we should support your creating of a deck of cards. Show us the backs of the cards and the tuck box.

Are you going to be including any premium features like embossing or printing inside the tuck?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I am creating the kickstarter now. I just showed a preview for some of the art up loaded and the clip. All details will be done later and I will show another preview before I start. Thanks for the questions.
Art Art Art.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
This will be up later with text. Tuck, card back, jokers and Aces.
Art Art Art.

Re: "REVOLVE" Kickstarter preview
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey Lex, good luck with your project. I changed the topic name to match your project name.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks allot for changing that for me. I am such a poor forum follower,,,lol I am always reading and never really talking so posting is really kind of new. I also hope this project does well I will explain in my kickstarter but there is a big picture...
Art Art Art.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:46:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For the sake of people looking at your cards, make the background SIMPLE.  A wood table, green felt, etc.  Your design is too distracting and makes it harder to focus on the real reason for being there - the cards.

The indices are slim to be point of nearly invisible.  Beef them up a little.

REMOVE the extra pip in the center of the spot cards.  You'll only create confusion for people who play with it - it's enough to make people not want to buy it, trust me.

Remove the shadowing effect you have on all the cards.  They're flat pieces of pasteboard, not shadow boxes, and it that's actually part of the printed pattern, lose it - it makes your deck one-way when you're apparently trying to make it two-way.

The linework in the courts, like the indices, is thin to the point of practically invisible.  Against a busy background like that it'll be hard to distinguish.

Speaking of the card background - why?  It really is busy and detracts from rather than adds to the artwork presented on it.  It's like looking for broken glass in a tub of ice - the artwork vanishes in the camouflage of the background.  Simple is often better - try simplifying the background to all black or (even better) all deep gray.  You WANT people to see your art, it's the deck's primary selling point, so don't disguise it so much.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I was waiting for you... Well this is it.. Sorry you do not like.  Thanks for your comments. I am figuring out if I would like to add a stretch goal or not. I created a different versions with little tweaks but this Is a deck I liked out off all them abd fits the direction my art is moving in now.
Art Art Art.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I was waiting for you... Well this is it.. Sorry you do not like.  Thanks for your comments. I am figuring out if I would like to add a stretch goal or not. I created a different versions with little tweaks but this Is a deck I liked out off all them abd fits the direction my art is moving in now.
I do not get the feeling that you want or are willing to take any advice or suggestions from anyone after reading the reply you gave to Don's comment.  I think he makes some really good points and presented them to you in a kind and gentle manner. It seems as if you are set and you have it all figured out.  Its almost as if you just posted on here for advertisement purposes. If so then mission accomplished. I wish you luck. I think you may well need it as your project lies now. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
That's not it at all. I went through this before. With Battle Spades and I did not give up and spent the last two months creating this Kickstarter. I listen to advice and if you look at my last project you can see the different  approach but I see allot of cool decks that are out there With allot of background noise and big pipes, dices and so on. I simply would like some one to see my deck and say that's Lex's art style or card style. What is two big? or whats to confusing?  After the last hard criticism I have gotten from this forum almost made me give up.. Here I am again showing what I am producing. Bicycle has already approved the deck. I really can only make small tweaks and can not change allot. I have many different version of the this deck. I picked this one with a panel of other artist with in the visual communication field and decided this was a nice balance with out being a black deck or white deck that are currently around. By no means am I trying to make the perfect playing card. I am just an artist that thinks this is an awesome medium for my art. I am the Brand the cards are the product. I really think this deck is a cool deck with its ups and downs just like any other deck of cards. Don my speak for this forum and that's great Don knows allot about cards That is true The fact he commented on my cards is wonderful. So with that said I am open to small tweaks check out the Battle Spades thread and I tried to redesign the deck in real time on forum and took a OK thing and ruined it. Please check out my facebook and learn a little about me and the cards I am creating the art I create and the way I see stuff. All in all I like this forum and its the only one I post to. Once again thanks for the comments I am open to suggestion. Two months in whats a couple more little changes right?...lol  Attached is one of my paintings so maybe this can help with why my cards are Like they are..
Art Art Art.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I would definitely remove the distracting background. Focus on the playing card design more as thats what is supposed to attract people into purchasing. With all that background, I can't even see where the card starts and ends.

I know you want to try to go with the "theme" but maybe kick it down a notch. The card is supposed to be the focus point. It looks like you are trying to use the background art to "hide" your design flaws. :-\

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Your Mechanical Mermaids painting is really nice work and would make an awesome card back with some color added.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks Alvihy.. You and Don are correct I am doing some changes. I will wait a little longer so more input can pop in. By this time tomorrow we will see the changes. Just sent clip in to be approved by bicycle so I have time. Alvinhy you have a really nice deck. I have done several coin designs for this deck but I do not think I will add it to the kickstarter due to ignorance on coin making. I have gotten quotes but with no render to show what the coin will look like. They want large deposit for just the render. Plus who knows how there shipping and real process works until you have done this. Could you suggest a place? If so that would also be great.
Art Art Art.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
The level of detail in that painting is completely non-existant on the cards. The depth of space created by the lace-work of gears and cogs in the negative space of the painting looks stellar, and has a much stronger and more personal representation of who you are as an artist than the generic floral pattern the cards use.

That said I loke generic floral wall papers and I like backgrounds on cards, I think it works thematically, and I don't think the one you chose looks bad, but it is hard to make out the design, which I think is a really strong design, on top of it; would you be able to maybe make the space behind the design solid black while still keeping the floral pattern background around it?

Can I ask why you didn't make a background similar to the intricate gear/cog work in the painting, which looks really unique and identifiable, something you could create a brand image around, and opted for a really basic floral wallpaper design that doesn't have any identity at all?

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I agree with justin, the artwork you posted is amazing, if that was on the playing cards then wow :D

Also for the coin issue, I use coinsforanything, did you try getting a quote from them?

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks Will and Justin I am actually working on a larger project with a story line and moving comic animation. It will be REVOLVE, EMERGE and THE CHILDREN.  The mermaid is one of the children. So in that deck it will have allot of cards like that. REVOLVE is just apart of the mechanical world I am dreaming about. I guess that's the easiest way to say how the big picture makes me feel. The  Valkyrie in the clip was based on this painting I have done called "VS".
Art Art Art.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
You are doing yourself an injustice as an artist producing the cards as they are, knowing how talented you are, and what you bring to the table as an artist the cards will be a poor, if even detrimental representation of yourself and your brand. Design the cards like your paintings, even just closer aesthetically, and people will be falling over themselves to buy your style.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
 I second Justin, that art  :P
I'm in love with the mermaid artwork if I can see a digital beefed up version ill probably even print it out as a poster *hinthint*
 :bosswalk: :bosswalk:

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
What the heck alexanderliss!?  I will personally track you down to challenge you in a  good ole fashion bout of  fisticuffs if you decide the  Revolve deck should in anyway represent what you are capable of.

You said it best yourself man.
I simply would like some one to see my deck and say that's Lex's art style or card style
Art  conveys emotion and personality, its more than the sum of the pieces.

Just gotta squeeze it into  overabundance of function and limited space that graphic design brings. Nice work dude.

I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks allot guys. Well here is some stuff I had done for the deck just had to put it togeather. This is just a mock up... I included some of my heavy mechanical illustrations.
Art Art Art.

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'd recommend you convert your sketches into digital vector form to have a bigger impact.
It just seams you scanned in your images with a bad scanner and popped in as a the background.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

They want large deposit for just the render.

Renders take time and cost money.  It's not like they grow on trees or something - an artist with CAD/CAM experience has to sit down and craft the design based on your art.  As I'm sure you know, all artists want to get paid!

It's good to see that you're willing to consider the advice of others.  Sticking to your guns is sometimes the right way to go, but not all the time - sometimes compromise is the better option, especially when you're producing something to make others happy as well as yourself.

Please, know that when we criticize, it's because of the love we have for the hobby of collecting playing cards.  It's never a personal thing and you're always considered welcome to be a part of the discussion.  The suggestions offered may help make the difference between a successful release and one that never leaves the drafting tablet.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
The pips and indies in the corners are too difficult to read. Your painting is really great. I think you should try to stick to the painting's style and take out the 'paisley' pattern on the cards, it has no place around gears.
EDIT: Sorry, Alexanderliss I wrote this about your original October 22 post before I saw your most recent posts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:16:41 PM by Rose »

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Thanks allot guys. Well here is some stuff I had done for the deck just had to put it togeather. This is just a mock up... I included some of my heavy mechanical illustrations.
This looks a million times better!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »

alexanderliss

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ill will have some new images of the revise I have done. Hope you guys will like it. Thanks Al I ended up making vectors of art and you where correct.. I really do graphic design from scratch not a drawing so that help.  I redid all the face cards. Also made indices bigger and removing the extra icon in the middle of all suit cards leaving them just on aces. Thanks Don for the help and please stay tuned.
Art Art Art.