Re: The second edition of the Lumberjacks
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
So here's a field of red added. I honestly think it looks weird. Thoughts?

« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Here's the Jack of Diamonds:

The original idea was to have a rope go around him, similar to what you see now minus the knot. But I was told it was too plain. It was recommended to me to add a knot, so I added a fisherman's knot connecting the two ropes together.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:11:52 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Kleetz - Nope.  As a minimalist approach the 2 red triangles make her look like she is hugging a dead tree.  Your card is done.  I guess... Leaves might mess things up.

« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Kleetz - Nope.  As a minimalist approach the 2 red triangles make her look like she is hugging a dead tree.  Your card is done.  I guess... Leaves might mess things up.

So you're saying the tiles are good or bad? Regardless, I modified them and added some detail to em. Now it looks like she's leaning into the tree while hugging it, which I think is good.

Here's the latest:

As far as the "dead tree"... hmm maybe i'll make it look like the limbs haven't been cut yet? That could help it.

Thanks for the suggestions it's really making this deck better.

« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Jack of Diamonds - like the art, but jazz up the negative space a little; it feels like there's too much emptiness.  Perhaps a pile of logs in the background, or a log cabin, maybe even a large camp tent?  As far as the fisherman's knot goes, some kind of knot is a good idea, but I have no idea what knots a lumberjack would use - you could research it or just leave it as is, depending on the level of effort you want to put into the design.

I like the Queen of Diamonds much better with a waist than without - she looks a lot less disembodied!  Yes, a live tree to hug instead of a log would be better.  You could also accent the look with a chain, perhaps with a padlock - many logging protesters chain themselves to a tree, refusing to be moved when loggers come to cut it down.  Some kind of ecology logo on the shirt sleeve, or at least a peace logo, would be enough to really hammer it home that this woman is a "tree hugger" and not some kind of camp wench or something equally silly.

That queen has really evolved a lot - you're getting better with each go-around.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Jack of Diamonds - like the art, but jazz up the negative space a little; it feels like there's too much emptiness.  Perhaps a pile of logs in the background, or a log cabin, maybe even a large camp tent?  As far as the fisherman's knot goes, some kind of knot is a good idea, but I have no idea what knots a lumberjack would use - you could research it or just leave it as is, depending on the level of effort you want to put into the design.

There is a particular knot that I suppose Lumberjacks would use. It's called the timber hitch knot. But it's a little tricky to show in such a small space. Maybe I'll make it just a regular knot and see how it looks. I'll post up some progress.

I'll also see if I can work in a peace symbol onto the QoH and see if having the limbs uncut helps portray a live tree.

Thanks All!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:43:47 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I did some modifying to the Jack of Diamonds. Flipped him to face the other way and to use up some white space I changed the knot from the fisherman's knot to an alpine butterfly knot. Butterfly knots are used by climbers. Earlier lumberjacks (maybe even current lumberjacks) use to climb trees to top them.

Here's the new version:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:34:15 AM by Kleetz »

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I did some modifying to the Jack of Diamonds. Flipped him to face the other way and to use up some white space I changed the knot from the fisherman's knot to an alpine butterfly knot. Butterfly knots are used by climbers. Earlier lumberjacks (maybe even current lumberjacks) use to climb trees to top them.

From what little I know of lumberjacks, that is still an important skill - even if they don't use it on the job, they do use it in their competitions!  (But I'm pretty sure they still do.)

This looks MUCH better.  Your deck is shaping up very nicely.

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Here's the King of Diamonds:

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I think his mustache is just a touch low. Looks a little strange to me. Also the beard and his hair could use a little separating, kinda has the mane thing going on as his hair blends in so well with his beard.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2014, 11:26:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think his mustache is just a touch low. Looks a little strange to me. Also the beard and his hair could use a little separating, kinda has the mane thing going on as his hair blends in so well with his beard.

I agree on the low mustache, but the hair blending into the beard thing - yup, there are people who look like that, and not just in the timber forests!  I see them every time I'm in Brooklyn or the Lower East Side of Manhattan!

That type of beard and hair grooming has become an odd hipster trend, possibly sprung out of the fascination with steampunk - it's not a steampunk style per se, but it is a style that was common during the same era upon which steampunk is based, roughly from the end of the US Civil War in 1865 to the end of the Victorian Era in 1900.  Which, coincidentally enough, is the same era in which mass-produced playing cards became popular as well!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:46:18 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Thanks Fes and Don, I'll make the adjustment. Funny when you're working on something for 8-9 hours you think it looks right, but when fresh eyes look at it they can catch little things like that.

-Kleetz

« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Worked on the Queen of Spades these past two days. She still needs a few modifications (I think that left hand is too big) but overall, she's about done.

Haha, it may be too much (the tank top) and not lumberjack accurate, but for now, that's what she's going to wear. I may mess around and put her into a long sleeve. Also... Boobs :)

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2014, 05:30:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Worked on the Queen of Spades these past two days. She still needs a few modifications (I think that left hand is too big) but overall, she's about done.

Haha, it may be too much (the tank top) and not lumberjack accurate, but for now, that's what she's going to wear. I may mess around and put her into a long sleeve. Also... Boobs :)

Indeed - boobs.  A plaid shirt with rolled-up sleeves would look nice and closer to actual lumberjack clothing.  Maybe give her a pair of work gloves.

Blue lipstick looks kinda odd!  Leave it, but yeah, it stands out a bit!  She might look better in Goth/emo clothes!

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Indeed - boobs.  A plaid shirt with rolled-up sleeves would look nice and closer to actual lumberjack clothing.  Maybe give her a pair of work gloves.

Blue lipstick looks kinda odd!  Leave it, but yeah, it stands out a bit!  She might look better in Goth/emo clothes!

Haha, it does make her look a little emo. I'm definitely going to try the long sleeve and glove idea.

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Okay, so I gave her some gloves and a long sleeve shirt that's been rolled up. I think this helped her out a bunch.

Here are all the queens together with the corners cut to better illustrate what the cards will really look like. AND if you have some cards laying around, you can put one up to your screen and see that these are about 100% of the size.

Also take note to some of the other changes:

Queen of Clubs: added a branch with a leaf
Queen of Hearts: increased overall size, changes cut branches to live branches with leaves (to imply that the tree hasn't yet been cut down)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:37:45 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
These have all come a long way.

Queen of Spades - try a button down front with a collar, or perhaps a "henley" style neck - higher neckline, but having a placket with three or four buttons, with a few buttons open to produce cleavage.  Plain henleys are very popular as shirts or as thermal undershirts.

Queens of Diamonds and Clubs - if you're trying to imply "live tree", those cut-off ends ruin the illusion!  Just have them terminate at the border as if the rest of the tree is out of frame.

Queen of Diamonds - Her boobs really do look like she lifted them up and rested them on the log!  If her torso was turned just a bit (much like your Queen of Spades), that effect should vanish with it.  Draw a complete torso and just place the log/branch over it and I think it will look more natural.  Alternately, raising the breasts, collar and cleavage might do it as well, and with less work.

Queen of Clubs - that big void in front of the Queen can be filled with more branches/leaves - I think it would look better without that negative space.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:15:26 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
These have all come a long way.

Queen of Spades - try a button down front with a collar, or perhaps a "henley" style neck - higher neckline, but having a placket with three or four buttons, with a few buttons open to produce cleavage.  Plain henleys are very popular as shirts or as thermal undershirts.

Queens of Diamonds and Clubs - if you're trying to imply "live tree", those cut-off ends ruin the illusion!  Just have them terminate at the border as if the rest of the tree is out of frame.

Queen of Diamonds - Her boobs really do look like she lifted them up and rested them on the log!  If her torso was turned just a bit (much like your Queen of Spades), that effect should vanish with it.  Draw a complete torso and just place the log/branch over it and I think it will look more natural.  Alternately, raising the breasts, collar and cleavage might do it as well, and with less work.

Queen of Clubs - that big void in front of the Queen can be filled with more branches/leaves - I think it would look better without that negative space.

Thanks, it's definitely a journey... and it's not even close to over yet.

QoS: I'll give the "henley" style a try, see how she looks.

QoH: It's tough, i've tried a lot of things. There's no way to show the top of the tree in that little space, showing the roots clutters the card too much. Open to suggestions on this one.

QoD: Kinda looks like the log is pushing her chest upwards. This will be the last card I'll change as there are larger concerns and I'd like to finish the rest of the courts and then revisit for changes again. (that way everything gets done)

QoC: Yeah, that may be nice. And it's very easy.

Thanks for all the feedback!

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2014, 04:41:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

QoH: It's tough, i've tried a lot of things. There's no way to show the top of the tree in that little space, showing the roots clutters the card too much. Open to suggestions on this one.

I gave you one!  Just end the tree at the edge of the frame around the card.  Imagine a picture frame with a photo of me in it, and I'm carrying a ladder.  The top and bottom of the ladder aren't in the frame, just the middle - that doesn't necessarily mean that I cut off the top and bottom of the ladder, right?  Ending the tree at the border without being able to see the internal rings implies that there's more tree but it's out of the frame.  It's really a minor tweak to what you already have - you'd be concealing the sawn-off end under the border instead of displaying it over the border.  Shown horizontally like this, one could think that it's just a really thick branch of a living tree rather than a log made from the trunk.

If you want a quick fix for the QoD: more leaves.  Conceal the bottoms of the boobs altogether and it's no longer even visible - she's leaning on a living tree branch.  Perhaps even present extra leaves as part of a vine wrapping the branch.  No need to redraw the Queen at all.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:41:38 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Pictureless update: Got a little busy with some other work stuff so updates will be posted in a few days. Don, I will make the adjustments to both Queens.

Thanks!

« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Whew, sorry I haven't been as active as I like to be on here, but work got a little busy. Good news is, I have been working on the Lumberjacks again! I have a new Jack of Spades coming (doing final tweaks and details) I'll post him up soon.

As I've been working on that I've also been looking at the Suicide King and He just doesn't portray the suicide aspect as much as I want him to. So, I re-worked him a bit. Here's the latest:

Lend me your thoughts!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:12:39 AM by Kleetz »

« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Did you know that before the King of Hearts was known as the "Suicide King", that particular king used to carry an axe instead of a sword?  :))

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I did not know that, good to know!

« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2014, 12:16:48 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hahaha, great job. lol, poor KoH has definitely been going on a journey down the black spiral hasn't he?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Haha, he surely has. But I think it was for the better.