You are Here:
Polaris Equinox

Author (Read 712 times)

Polaris Equinox
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:31:57 PM »

davegk

• Elite Member
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I launched a new Vanda deck and I've been toying with plenty of options. One idea that I'm very excited about is a new edition of the Polaris deck. Polaris solar and lunar are both sold out and I've gotten lots of very positive feedback on the Polaris designs in general.

Equinox represents the balance between night and day - a semi-annual occurrence when the two are equally represented. This deck takes a literal approach to dividing each card face into day/night and there will be both light and dark versions of the tuck and back designs. I've used a very bold color palette and application to make these cards very usable for game play and gorgeous for cardistry purposes as well.

The tuckboxes will feature embossing and holographic foil, a first for any Vanda deck.

I've got the design finalized though I'm curious to hear what you'd like to see in a Kickstarter campaign for this deck -- stretch goals, accessories (if any), etc...

Thanks!
-David
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:32:37 PM by davegk »
David Goldklang, Graphic Designer
http://www.davegk.com
http://www.vandacards.com

Re: Polaris Equinox
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
 :))

I'm just happy to see these. Good stuff, I can't wait. Perhaps a stretch goal for silver metallic ink on the center stars nice and subtle. I think they're great and I'm looking forward to this.

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Polaris Equinox
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 03:09:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I launched a new Vanda deck and I've been toying with plenty of options. One idea that I'm very excited about is a new edition of the Polaris deck. Polaris solar and lunar are both sold out and I've gotten lots of very positive feedback on the Polaris designs in general.

Equinox represents the balance between night and day - a semi-annual occurrence when the two are equally represented. This deck takes a literal approach to dividing each card face into day/night and there will be both light and dark versions of the tuck and back designs. I've used a very bold color palette and application to make these cards very usable for game play and gorgeous for cardistry purposes as well.

The tuckboxes will feature embossing and holographic foil, a first for any Vanda deck.

I've got the design finalized though I'm curious to hear what you'd like to see in a Kickstarter campaign for this deck -- stretch goals, accessories (if any), etc...

Thanks!
-David

It's a very solid deck design, I think.  You made a good choice of colors for the four-color deck that leaves them "compatible" enough with each other to also work as a two-color deck without too much confusion.  The split-inverse design is a bold choice and rather intriguing and attractive.

If you want to go full-bleed on the backs, I recommend using Expert PCC or Legends PCC.  Their stocks tend to hold up better on the edges than USPC, resulting in less edge chipping.  If you do go Expert, consider using their synthetic tuck stock - it has a lovely feel to it and is incredibly durable.  It would mean forgoing the embossing (it doesn't emboss well) but it does leave open the option of using foil - on the interior as well as the exterior.  You could even include foil accents on the individual cards themselves!  It raises the cost, to be sure, but it's a very impressive look and I like the idea of using accents of foil rather than an all-foil design (USPC's MetalLuxe requires that a large percentage of the back design be done in foil.)  And yes, Expert does do holo-foil on the cards - just look at Asi Wind's green Chameleons deck!  (That Damask stock rocks as well - soft but durable, to me the closest thing available today to the old Aristocrat stock.)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/