Mr.parangot

• True Member
Thank you

Re: Sharps Playing Cards - Marked
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Did anyone end up figuring out how the markings of the Sharps deck worked?  I'm faced with the same challenge as others who have posted here: I own the deck, but can't figure out how the markings work, even with the help of the image in this post that apparently shows the shadings used on the cards:

The problem is that the image doesn't identify exactly which cards correspond to those 54 images, nor does it give any information about how to look for the shadings.  Even knowing which cards those 54 images correspond to would be a helpful starting point.  My deck didn't come with any instructions with it, and the publisher no longer provides these since they no longer sell the deck.

Interestingly this deck even won the popular vote for PCF's Best Marked Deck of 2014, so clearly there are people who have figured this out. I'm hoping that with the benefit of time, some of those who posted previously in this thread have figured out how it works and can give some advice, or that someone else can assist. 

Any tips or info provided would be wonderful!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:44:14 PM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2022, 06:43:05 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to raise something about the method used for the markings of the Sharps deck.

The Brooklyn Playing Cards (printed around 2017) is considered a printed juice deck.  Is this basically the same idea?

I first thought of this when reading the instructions for the Brooklyn deck, I came across this:

Notice the title of the book referred to: Nevil Maskelyne's "Sharps and Flats."

Could that explain the name of the Sharps deck perhaps?
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2022, 10:39:13 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Even 9 years since their release, the Sharps are still remain my all time favourite deck of cards. I've probably got around 50 of them. Although I love the original classic stock that they're printed on, ultimately it's the marking system that makes it my favourite. Kind of gutted that a V2 has never been released.

I have the Brooklyn deck also... but honestly, I don't rate that deck too highly because it actually fails the riffle test. Although it does use something of a shade system it isn't done particularly well. I read somewhere that the guys that made the Brooklyn deck called it the greatest marking system of all time. In theory, maybe. But the execution... no chance brother.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!