Quick question - design copy?

Author (Read 244 times)

Quick question - design copy?
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:03:16 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
  • Life's too short for boring playing cards
Hi Everyone,

Quick question - I was discussing a design concept I have been working on with another artist, showed him my progress, etc. He had an idea on the design so made an edit of my first draft below. I keep thinking it looks like the same design from another deck though - am I just imagining things or has he just copied a design? Something about the hat rings bells.

Thanks

Re: Quick question - design copy?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:42:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Vice President/Director of Club Forum, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Everyone,

Quick question - I was discussing a design concept I have been working on with another artist, showed him my progress, etc. He had an idea on the design so made an edit of my first draft below. I keep thinking it looks like the same design from another deck though - am I just imagining things or has he just copied a design? Something about the hat rings bells.

Thanks

It's only familiar to me in that it resembles a cross between a crown and a traditional jester's cap.  You don't usually see the tops of the court character's crowns because they get cut off at the white border surrounding the artwork.

I don't think I've seen anything like it before, but I don't see everything that comes out these days.  Personally, I like it - it at least looks like someone put a bit of thought and effort into it.

I'd suggest giving the index a little more "breathing room" from the art - perhaps just a little bit of white space.  It'll make the index more distinct and easier to see and read.  Also, bring the index heart closer to the index value - they seem too far apart.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:44:16 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Services for Hire

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
  • Life's too short for boring playing cards
Thanks Don.

This is still a work in progress with a few layers roughly overlaid, I was just concerned about the Kings hat and clothes which I though resembled another project. I'm not sure if seeing so many decks subconsiously implants ideas into your mind, so just double checking :)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:15:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Vice President/Director of Club Forum, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks Don.

This is still a work in progress with a few layers roughly overlaid, I was just concerned about the Kings hat and clothes which I though resembled another project. I'm not sure if seeing so many decks subconsiously implants ideas into your mind, so just double checking :)

It looks like it's got some elements of cyberpunk in the design - pretty interesting choice, I think.  I've seen very little by way of cyberpunk in decks, most people preferring to make steampunk designs instead.  Cyberpunk is starting to experience a little bit of a revival, so your timing with this could be fortuitous.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Services for Hire

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain