You are Here:
compass 822 deck

Author (Read 7006 times)

compass 822 deck
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Mismag made a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juujk2e_TO4&feature=feedu

he is not making money off the deck. here is the site to buy http://afpcc.itsesproductions.com/playingcards.html

$9 a deck and shipping to the U.S. $9.90 shipping if you get 8 or less decks up to 50 is $26.30

The rule for this thread is ONLY DISCUSS THE COMPASS 822 DECK, will you buy? do you like? etc, not the company.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:07:10 AM by Curt »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: compass 822 deck
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40:58 AM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I wish I could get these, But theres just way to many decks coming out at once.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yea due to shipping i am passing, figured this time i would post the info before that other guy does.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I definitely won't buy this deck... in my opinion its ugly and will only be just as good as a regular bike deck or worse

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:06:27 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Personally I am not a fan of the back design, the maze/brick pattern looks odd to me and there is nothing really that special about it. I'll be passing on these decks because there are plenty of other decks that I would rather put that money towards.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:33 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Personally I am not a fan of the back design, the maze/brick pattern looks odd to me and there is nothing really that special about it. I'll be passing on these decks because there are plenty of other decks that I would rather put that money towards.

see i really do like the maze thing, i have always loved those and would love a couple for collecting but as of now i am passing, after i buy vortex cards i will consider buying new decks, even though every time i see a new one i want it. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:20:58 PM by MrMagic322 »

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 03:35:07 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Pass.

For reasons I'm sure I don't need to explain.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:47:21 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I won't but it.
I don't see the beauty.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 03:54:27 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'm not going to lie I really do like this deck. I have been following the chatter about the company, but putting that aside I do love this deck. I tend to like decks that are similar to bikes but have minor differences. One example of this is a great deck I got when I visited my sister in Seattle. They are called "Revolution" and it was based of the french revolution and the beheadings. All of the court cards are headless. It doesn't look silly or childish at all. This deck has a similar vibe with the faceless court cards. I like that small change and the change to the suicide king was nice too. One thing I didn't like in the video is that he mentions they are his "official" cards made for him, but he seems to not understand why the artist did certain things to the deck. That I find odd... if I were to have a deck made custom for me by an artist I would want to know what was going on and the meaning for each change/edit/addition to the deck. I would want to be active in the production of the deck and know the ins and outs of it.

All that being said, I do like this deck and I find the back nice, simple but nice. I would pick this deck up, but it is a little expensive. Maybe someday in the future I will snag this deck, but not anytime soon.

One more note, I don't like the fact that it would be sold as a limited edition type of deck. I understand it is a business plan to sell a product and it may work, BUT I would rather see a new(er) company build up a reputation and work to become part of the community before leaning towards that style of selling.

- DMB
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 12:49:43 AM »

eggman

• Elite Member
If I had cancer and I found that rubbing these cards on my chest would cure said cancer, I still would not buy them.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »

Mystery

DMB, Jay (mismag822) was only joking by saying he didn't get why we did certain things to the deck (such as the maze and especially getting rid of the faces). He knows exactly why we did it, which is why he put "just kidding" in the annotations.

Also, it is a well known fact among his supporters that Jay hasn't and doesn't show his face and that this is why the court cards are as faceless as Jay himself.

Hope that clear it up. ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:17:00 AM by Mystery »

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 02:23:20 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
eeeeehh~ better than a lot of decks other people have vomited out, but still doesn't qualify as a "good" deck or worth the price he's charging.

Its probably this expensive because he changed the plates for the court cards ~ albeit a small change it still costs alot more to produce I'm guessing.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 02:28:52 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
DMB, Jay (mismag822) was only joking by saying he didn't get why we did certain things to the deck (such as the maze and especially getting rid of the faces). He knows exactly why we did it, which is why he put "just kidding" in the annotations.

Also, it is a well known fact among his supporters that Jay hasn't and doesn't show his face and that this is why the court cards are as faceless as Jay himself.

Hope that clear it up. ;)

Yeah that clears it up. I should have researched it a little more before I said that. Thanks for letting me know!

If I had cancer and I found that rubbing these cards on my chest would cure said cancer, I still would not buy them.

Eggman, I know relatives and other people close to me who are fighting the battle with cancer right now and I don't find what you wrote very funny. I'm sure that you didn't mean it be rude, but that fight isn't something to joke about. thanks.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 06:20:25 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The compass cards don't look like they're anything special to me, I'm really not very interested in them

I'm sure that you didn't mean it be rude, but that fight isn't something to joke about. thanks.

The personal, particular fight of your loved ones is absolutely not something to joke about but making a general statement about cancer?  That has to be absolutely fine and to be honest I find it offensive that you would even try to censor that; and that's fine.  You have every right to be offended by anything that anyone says but you also have no right whatsoever NOT to be offended, especially not to censor other people's speech to accomplish that.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The compass cards don't look like they're anything special to me, I'm really not very interested in them

The personal, particular fight of your loved ones is absolutely not something to joke about but making a general statement about cancer?  That has to be absolutely fine and to be honest I find it offensive that you would even try to censor that; and that's fine.  You have every right to be offended by anything that anyone says but you also have no right whatsoever NOT to be offended, especially not to censor other people's speech to accomplish that.

Okay understood, I'm not trying to start anything on here. I'm might have taken it a little too seriously. I wasn't trying to censor your speech, the joke about the cure was what bothered me. I agree the general subject is fine, but the joke about the cure I don't think was. I'm not going to make a big deal about it though because it's life and these things happen (the illness not what you said) and we all gotta deal with it. No hard feelings

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I will possibly get some, depending on how much money I have left after all of these releases.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I agree to an extent with brown_baggs. I think the joke was in bad taste, but it was a joke nonetheless. It would be a grim world without humor in it. Baggs, I think I speak for everyone that exists when I say nobody takes cancer lightly, and everyone has been affected by it somehow. When you have loved ones battling that horrible disease it's very easy and understandable to overreact at a comment like the one above.

I wish all the best for your family, and anyone else's who is going through that dark time.

And now, let's get back on topic.

It doesn't look like the cards are selling much. To be honest, I would buy a couple if mismag was profiting off of them. The guy spends hundreds on his contests and I really appreciate what he does for the magic community by bringing young people in to learn simple card tricks.

However, I don't see a reason to buy an "official" deck when the guy who is responsible for its existence doesn't see a dime. That said, the back design is definitely a subjective one. There is no saying it's hands down amazing or hands down trash.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I wish all the best for your family, and anyone else's who is going through that dark time.

You know, I got so caught up in liberal indignation (it wasn't me who made the original joke/comment by the way, I just have very strong feelings about free speech) that I completely neglected to wish you and your loved ones all the best in this difficult time.  I don't think anyone but a complete sociopath could hope for anything but a safe and speedy recovery.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Thank you for the thoughts. And no worries about it. Sorry for getting off topic.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member

Yeah that clears it up. I should have researched it a little more before I said that. Thanks for letting me know!

Eggman, I know relatives and other people close to me who are fighting the battle with cancer right now and I don't find what you wrote very funny. I'm sure that you didn't mean it be rude, but that fight isn't something to joke about. thanks.
My family member  had a battle with cancer. It sucked, but they made it through. I hope the people in your life have the same success mine did. I still stand by my statement. Cards will not help anyway. I also apologize for how that hit you. Certainly did not mean to bring anything painful up for you. Once again, best of luck to you and your family, I know how tough it can be. Also, thank you for all those who defended free speach. That is very important and I am glad it is brought up. Still, I have no issue apologizing if my statements brings angst to anyone. The bottom line is, if I was lost in the woods and freezing I would not even use the cards as fuel to light a fire. Even though it would be good to burn them. (Is that better?)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:30:55 PM by eggman »

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I agree if it was Jay himself profiting off the deck sales and not just the company making them I'd be more likely to buy some to show my support for him, but with so many amazing decks coming out around now you can't have them all and at the moment these are not at the top of my list of new decks to invest in.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.