Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Awesome idea and instructions ryzellon, very cool!

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
In looking for a large display for my diecast car collection I found this which is very similar to the DIY card case described on page 1 of this thread of which I also built 2.  Anyhow, If you don't mind one that only holds 25 instead of 30 and don't want to deal with DIY it's a good option.  Dimensions look right anyhow to make this work great.

$65 shipped to USA, other colors available.
http://www.displaygifts.com/product/item.php?category=54&item=72

I also see Amazon is a reseller so you can get the oak look for just $53 shipped to USA
http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Football-Basketball-Cards-OAK-CC01-OA/dp/B0033S758Q/

Re: How to build a $25 display case.
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
A couple of our members were talking about buying this display in another thread. One of the places you can get it is Collectable Playing Cards
$129.95 + shipping of $4 to my home. (didn't buy) Shipping seemed really low. USPS.com price for package of this size is $16-$24.
It holds 60 decks and is approximately 31"x20". It's 100% acrylic. I'm sure the display weights almost nothing, but 60 decks is something else. The price seems high to me considering it's all plastic. It has an inherent flaw as well. The acrylic(plexiglass) front is only supported on the bottom and top rails. The sides are not supported so that it can slide back and fourth to open the case. Large pieces of plexiglass bow over time if not fully supported. The plastic hangers on the back do not impress me either.

So the question is, as Don would say, if I can build a better mouse trap.
If I can build a better display for about the same cost or less. Would anybody be interested in buying one?
If so, how many decks would you prefer it to hold?
Black-Stained wood?

I'd definitely be interested! Yeah, black stained wood would probably be good to start and you can offer more colors later as demand picks up! I'd say maybe 6x5 decks? But really that's just a guess... Do a poll! =)

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »

iDoctor

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • I'm card collector from Moscow, Russia.

• Twitter:
Fantastic topic! Thanks you all, I've got a lot of ideas. I should waste my show boxes asap and make normal storage!
My card collection on PlayingCardDB http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6196

Federal 52 by Jackson Robinson, a TRUE compleat collection
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

Elite Card Displays

• Newcomer
The TRUE total collection of the federal 52 series.  This set that I have includes all 10 decks, all four coins and all 8 poker chips. ( yep all 8 that is 3 more than you have lol, this includes the three that have not been released) in a custom authorized Lucite case. Take a look and wipe the drool from your chin.

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

1greeneyedwonderwoman

• Newcomer
I bought this at an antique store to hold my cards. It was labeled as an oak jewelry box. I did a little research and it looks like it may have been made to hold tools. I have even seen it used as a handgun collectors chest! lol

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice  :)

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
These flat drawer chests are great for cards. We have a few that were used in stores for spools of thread 100 or so years ago. Found a picture of one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:48:07 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
A local university had some blueprint chests for sale, but they were metal and likely heavy.  Plus as a single deck collector I prefer to have them on display.  Something to keep an eye out for though if you have a large collection.

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I bought this at an antique store to hold my cards. It was labeled as an oak jewelry box. I did a little research and it looks like it may have been made to hold tools. I have even seen it used as a handgun collectors chest! lol

That's a great storage solution. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses jewelry storage for their playing cards. :) I use the black jewelry cases intended for show display because I have several of them from another hobby of mine. Picked them up a long time ago and never used them for their intended purpose because I prefer the smaller size for gemstones. I like these for playing cards though because you can fit two on a standard bookcase shelf and they keep the dust off.

Each tray holds ten decks. I honestly don't remember what I paid for mine way back when, I want to say $20-$25 though. Amazon has them at $40 which I think may be a bit steep, but I didn't dig real hard.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »

Magicman29

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Great Thread and topic, I tried this myself and it came out FANTASTIC! i had a bit of trouble keeping the shelving straight and evenly spaced but overall it came out great.

The other bit of trouble was allignining the screws perfectly with 1/4 inch shelves, it helped to just drill slowly to feel the screw grab the wood.

Great thread guys 8) 8)

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So this past weekend I added some new storage to my little corner of my house, my wife surprised me with a new 8 Drawer dresser for storing my goodies. Its from Ikea and the drawer design and construction is ideal for the added weight of all that paper. You can fit approx. 250 decks per drawer, so I should be OK for a while :)

........the ultimate goal is to overtake the basement completely and turn it into the "Sparkz Card Museum".................one can dream  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:07:25 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
So this past weekend I added some new storage to my little corner of my house, my wife surprised me with a new 8 Drawer dresser for storing my goodies. Its from Ikea and the drawer design and construction is ideal for the added weight of all that paper. You can fit approx. 250 decks per drawer, so I should be OK for a while :)

........the ultimate goal is to overtake the basement completely and turn it into the "Sparkz Card Museum".................one can dream  :)
Nice collection!  Beautifully displayed.
  I like the directional lighting. Do you use any certain type of bulb to preserve the integrity of your decks?  I have a lot of vintage cards on my walls and would like to use that kind of fore lighting on them but I am a little concerned about the damage it may cause. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thank You Will,

Their small hologen's Will, but I rarely have them on for an extended period of time or pointed directly at the display. They're usually pointed down on my desk, I pulled one up for the pic.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:49:06 AM by Anthony »

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank You Will,

Their small hologen's Will, but I rarely have them on for an extended period of time or pointed directly at the display. They're usually pointed down on my desk, I pulled one up for the pick.

I think you meant "halogens".  I saw "hologen" and thought you bought some Star Wars memorabilia!  :))

Lee Asher's pamphlet on the care and feeding of Jerry's Nuggets would apply to any decks in one's collection.  My personal suggestion would be to use indirect lighting and keep all display items under "museum-grade" clear fiberglass (the difference is that it filters out UV rays).  Keeping the area climate-controlled is also important - Lee specifies the correct temperature and humidity level.

Any time you're protecting any sort of ephemeral artifact, particularly an older artifact made of paper, the keys are a controlled environment, protecting the items from accidental or uncontrolled exposure to:

* light, especially UV rays
* temperature
* humidity - use humidifiers or dehumidifiers as needed for your space
* handling - some just use clean hands while others go as far as white-glove treatment
* acid or other corrosives used in either the substance it's made of or the substance that protects it.

Old comic books were cheaply manufactured on papers that had a built-in acid content, causing the paper to corrode and destroy itself over time.  (Remember, in the early days of comic books, no one ever thought to keep them for more than a few weeks before disposing of them and getting new ones - they were cheap and disposable.)  Archival preservation of old comic books includes chemically treating the paper to neutralize the acid, replacing the rusted steel staples with new, anti-corrosive ones and sealing it all in a neutral-pH plastic material (many different plastic bags not created for archiving also contain corrosives that can destroy the artifact).

I mention the comic books because much of what holds true for them also holds true for playing cards in terms of archival storage.  I knew of a collector who went through the trouble of using a resealer to put a brand new cellophane wrapper on his vintage decks, in order to preserve not just the cards but the boxes they came in as well - they tend to take a lot of damage over the years they're used to protect the deck inside of them.  The only thing that's tougher to find with many vintage and antique decks are (for those that had them) the joker or jokers; then, as is often true now, many people dispose of them immediately when opening the tuck box.

But yeah, I digress just a bit - it's very possible to create a suitable archive for one's collection, assuming you have the space available.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Federal 52 by Jackson Robinson, a TRUE compleat collection
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:05 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
The TRUE total collection of the federal 52 series.  This set that I have includes all 10 decks, all four coins and all 8 poker chips. ( yep all 8 that is 3 more than you have lol, this includes the three that have not been released) in a custom authorized Lucite case. Take a look and wipe the drool from your chin.

Why did I think that there was only bicycle black reserve note? Now I am missing one!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:00:59 AM by Magasaki »
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: Federal 52 by Jackson Robinson, a TRUE compleat collection
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Why did I think that there was only bicycle black reserve note? Now I am missing one!

The unbranded Black Reserve Note deck was shorted in the print run by USPC - the company allows for +/-10% in their contracts, usually aiming for the plus side, and you have to pay for all of the decks they make on the plus side (and get refunded for decks on the minus side).  Jackson barely had enough to fill all the KS pledges which included them.

It's part of the reason why a roll of USPC pasteboard stock is enough to print 11,000 decks.  Apparently they don't have a method for accurately counting the number of sheets of paper they create, probably just eyeballing it based on the stack's height.  Cut a roll, make four equal stacks, they're probably between 2,500 and 2,750 each.  But as we all know by now, their paper thickness can vary with the weather on a given day.

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Tonight I made something new for myself using recycled materials and magnet.
A hanging display for my playing cards.

It is my very first attempt, very rough idea and completed just about 2 hours. Tell me what do you think, and what else can I do. Thanks
Back for more

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2015, 01:32:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It is my very first attempt, very rough idea and completed just about 2 hours. Tell me what do you think, and what else can I do. Thanks

Um, I'm not 100% certain of what I'm seeing here. In order to evaluate your design, I would need to see more photos. It looks interesting, but I'm not certain if it presents any advantages over a shelf or a shadowbox.

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2015, 02:52:31 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Um, I'm not 100% certain of what I'm seeing here. In order to evaluate your design, I would need to see more photos. It looks interesting, but I'm not certain if it presents any advantages over a shelf or a shadowbox.

I will post more photos later  :)
Initially I was thinking of levitating display, just like inverted version of Phantom Deck Display (http://www.ellusionist.com/phantom-display.html). I don't think there is any advantages over shelf or shadowbox, in fact with this you can display less deck.

To me I just want to showcase the deck hanging (mid air and rotating if possible) rather than just sitting on shelf.
Currently I just don't have enough parts to make it happen yet, hence the first attempt is very straight forward, deck hanging with the help of magnet.
I am going to the flea market this weekend to hunt for more parts and hopefully I can make it happen. There is going to be lots of trial and errors, but I see this as a challenge for myself.

Back for more

« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

Lydian

• Newcomer
I've just bought this box which is on it's way to me as we speak. Nice antique circa 1920's playing card box. Decks raise up as you open the box. Nice little find! Always on the hunt for new ways to display, unfortunately you really have to dig for the ones dedicated to playing cards.

Other displays I have are of the course the wonderful kingswild lucite displays and a couple of nice jackson boxes that I love!

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2015, 07:09:07 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
I googled "mylar case" and this came up second: http://www.comicase.com/ComiCase--Current-Age_p_10.html

Anyone else use comic book cases to display multiple cards? I'm planning on putting centuries old cards in them, then put them in a cooler and only take them out at night. The cases don't look very classy though. Either that or I put them in a safe deposit box. I don't know how else I can protect them from hot and humid Hawaiian summers.

« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I googled "mylar case" and this came up second: http://www.comicase.com/ComiCase--Current-Age_p_10.html

Anyone else use comic book cases to display multiple cards? I'm planning on putting centuries old cards in them, then put them in a cooler and only take them out at night. The cases don't look very classy though. Either that or I put them in a safe deposit box. I don't know how else I can protect them from hot and humid Hawaiian summers.

65 degrees is around the best temperature, but is it humidity-controlled as well, like a humidor?  In fact, if you head to Lee's website (leeasher.com), he has a "guide" for the care and feeding of Jerry's Nuggets that works perfectly fine for just about any modern deck of playing cards (and most vintage ones as well).

Did a quick Google search, found it: http://hwcdn.net/u7n2x8t6/cds/JerrysNugget/jerrys_nugget_card_care_guide.pdf

« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
Do card boxes act like humidors? I recently bought a Hungarian secret box but I'm not sure if it will regulate humidity and temperature as well as an ice box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOlipj64J8

« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2015, 11:52:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Do card boxes act like humidors? I recently bought a Hungarian secret box but I'm not sure if it will regulate humidity and temperature as well as an ice box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOlipj64J8

Well, that depends on how good a card box, and how good a humidor!

Secret boxes or puzzle boxes don't generally have humidity controls - in fact, they themselves often need to be stored at specific temperatures and humidity levels to keep the wood from jamming up or becoming too loose where the moving pieces meet the non-moving pieces and each other.

When I was mentioning a humidor, I was thinking along the lines of the "full room" sized models generally found in either cigar bars or the homes of the well-heeled cigar smokers.  They're a major luxury, but if you have a collection that you've invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars in, be they cards or cigars, it makes sense to protect the investment.  This is really a luxury hobby, or at the least it can be, under the right conditions!

I don't have a lot of cards on display.  I use simpler storage - do a search here if you're interested in the specific gear that I use, I've written about it many times.  "Sports card" storage boxes that hold 5,000 sports cards will perfectly hold 125 poker-sized decks of typical thickness in their tuck boxes.  I have I think a dozen of those.  Plastic, stackable drawers from Staples conveniently hold about 45 decks to a drawer, the drawers are removable as well as stackable, though I wouldn't stack them higher than the equivalent of a dozen small (45-deck) drawers.  I have two stacked units, consisting of two double-height drawers and eight small drawers each.

...and I'm running out of room...