You are Here:
Hi!

Author (Read 865 times)

Hi!
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »

JWRobeson

• Newcomer
Hey all! My name is Joey I live in Dallas tx. I'll start by saying how awesome it is to meet such a large group of like minded people.  I started my love of cards with the love of magic. I'm 33yo and when I was 9 or 10 like a lot of young kids I recieved my first magic kit with assorted tricks.  I used that trick to win the talent show that year at my elementary school (the kicker was pouring liquid in a newspaper then tossing it on the spectators and confetti gets them instead of the liquid). Once my dad saw how intested I was he got me the linking rings. I didn't practice much magic after that though, unfortunately I didn't have any guidance and no clue all of the greatest secrets to magic were in a BOOK! So if your reading this and your curious on how <magicians name> did it, you can find it in a book.  So about 7 months ago i started doing magic again and buying decks of cards and videos and every book I could afford and get my hands on. I'm a Dallas police officer and I work a lot of extra jobs to pay the bills.  One of those jobs is a hospital.  The shifts are 6 hours long and there's a desk which I can sit at which was perfect to practice at. One day I was working and a little boy came in with his mom and he wasn't feeling good (I work the er desk) and he was just having a crappy day by the look on his face. He saw me practicing a color change right at the end when the card changed (erdnase change). I looked up and saw that his eyes were full of how did you do that.  I asked him if he wanted to see another trick and he said sure. I did the jumping gimini and he was in aw! He asked me to show him how I did it. I said how about I show you an easy one that you can do right now. I showed him how to use a key card and he understood quickly. I then let him show me the trick and he was great. I was smiling so big that I was able to teach him and make his day a little better.  I decided to give him my deck so he could practice.  At the time it was my favorite I think it was a deck of DM rounders.  After that I decided what an opportunity to bring smiles with magic. The next shift I worked I walked around the hospital doing random tricks and giving away a deck a cards to the kid and showing him a basic card trick. Long story short giving free decks of cards and books to kids isn't cheap and I don't get todo it as much as I would like to. If you have made it this far in reading my intro and have a bunch of used decks laying around I would love to take them off your hands. I also just started a gofundme if you want to donate a couple bucks so I can buy them. Thanks for reading. I'm sure there's a ton of grammatical and spelling errors and I'm sorry.  Here's the link if your interested. https://www.gofundme.com/gs4uy8kz?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=campaign_link_t&utm_campaign=welcome

Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 05:16:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Joey, welcome to the forum!  We're glad to have you and we thank you for your service as a police officer!

Please, if you have any questions, ASK.  We were all the newbie once, we know what it's like and we're sympathetic.

BTW: not ALL magic comes in books...  There are some excellent DVDs and video downloads out there now, and kids tend to respond very well to visual demonstrations.  You should see about getting your hands on some.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Joey,

Welcome to the forum. I too am somewhat new to this site, but not really to cards. I am somewhat local as I live up near Lewisville. Maybe we could get together and chew on some cards or talk some magic if you want. Look forward to hearing from you.

-Eddie
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:22:26 PM »

JWRobeson

• Newcomer
Sounds good to me.  I actually live in Mansfield.  Talking shop is always a good time. Also I'm not sure if you subscribe to Jamie grant on YouTube but he posted a video today, first in a long time. It's a pod cast... It's freaking awesome. 

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:51:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Sounds good to me.  I actually live in Mansfield.  Talking shop is always a good time. Also I'm not sure if you subscribe to Jamie grant on YouTube but he posted a video today, first in a long time. It's a pod cast... It's freaking awesome.

Jamie hasn't checking in here in a while, but he's a member of this forum as well.  We're very familiar with his work.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/