You are Here:
Playing Cards For Tiny Hands

Author (Read 726 times)

Playing Cards For Tiny Hands
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:04:29 PM »

TinyHands

• Lurker
Hello card enthusiasts!  I have a line of cards going live on Kickstarter next week and thought I'd send out a feeler to get some general impressions.

First, a few notes:

- These cards are satirical and not sincere in any way
 - These cards are purely a novelty item
 - These cards are not intended to offend you or change your political opinion

To be frank, I've never designed cards.  I've just been drawing political caricatures for the past 4 months and wanted to do something with the art so....cards!  I appreciate any/all feedback so please let me know your thoughts!  All the cards --> TinyHandsCards.Blogspot.com

Re: Playing Cards For Tiny Hands
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's some decent artistic talent going on there in terms of the artwork on the cards - but a topical, political deck like this one has a tougher chance to make it.  It's title is based off of a comment that was circulating in the press when Trump was still running for office perhaps a year ago - it's like a nighttime talk-show host cracking jokes about year-old headlines instead of what's happening today.  They're kind of "flash-in-the-pan, short-attention-span" kind of things.  Most such projects don't make it unless they have exceptionally low goals, which often means lower production values and less interest from collectors.

I'd take this artist's talents and harness them for a less topical, more interesting project.  Calling it a "novelty" doesn't change the fact that it's a political deck and will be of interest to a more narrow audience rather than a general audience, cutting down your potential pool of backers right away.  There will be some who are offended by them and will stay away altogether - there's a reason why politics is one of the topics people try to stay away from over polite dinner conversation!  It's very polarizing.  Why cut your potential audience size down before you've printed the first deck?

You might find your audience - and if so, more power to you.  I just think the talents of your artist would be better used in a different kind of project for a broader audience, one that could potentially make a lot more money.  Good luck to you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Playing Cards For Tiny Hands
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 02:42:23 AM »

TinyHands

• Lurker
Hey Don!  Really appreciate your reply!

So, I'm solo on this venture--artist and creator so thank you for the kind words regarding the art!  Admittedly, I have no expertise in card design but have been an art director in the video game industry for 10 years.  I simply made this deck out of a general interest from friends who were enjoying my lunch time sketches online.

I'm going to follow through with the Kickstarter but my interest in card art/design has grown considerably.  I'm seriously thinking about taking on a cleanly designed, sincerely themed deck in the future (I well know these cards are quirky and loosely drawn).  I absolutely love what I've seen on this forum and others!  Love the feedback!  So appreciated. :)

-Eric