You are Here:
Deck Ranking System (top 100)

Author (Read 3384 times)

Deck Ranking System (top 100)
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Is there any interest in setting up some sort of Card Deck ranking system?

I am an avid pinball enthusiast and their largest forum is pinside.com.  On this site, these is a very clever page where people can review their favorite pinball machines, break it down by category, and come up with an overall 1-10 score for each machine.  These machines are then ranked and displayed on the page...

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

I bet this would be even easier to set up with card decks.  If there's one already, I apologize.  Lemme know what you guys think!

Re: Deck Ranking System (top 100)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:00:47 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
That top one has a great Army of Darkness vibe to it!
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:29 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Yeah, and it doesn't take itself too seriously either.  Medieval madness is one of the more expensive pinball machines out there, and they go for around 10k :)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
That's a very interesting idea, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I think it would be pretty cool to see what other people think of decks. I know what I like haha, who knows what everyone else likes?

Then the down side is, with a site like that about playing cards. People will start designing to get up on that list and sell well. I'm not very fond of that line of thinking at all. So it's really good I have no idea how to even begin any of that.

In short, I'm undecided. Sounds cool in theory, may suck in practice kinda thing. I do know that Elvira and party pals whatsit pinball sounded like a good time haha. My father and I would play pinball on occasion, no special machines or anything. Just friendly competition. Good times.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:38:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Is there any interest in setting up some sort of Card Deck ranking system?

I am an avid pinball enthusiast and their largest forum is pinside.com.  On this site, these is a very clever page where people can review their favorite pinball machines, break it down by category, and come up with an overall 1-10 score for each machine.  These machines are then ranked and displayed on the page...

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

I bet this would be even easier to set up with card decks.  If there's one already, I apologize.  Lemme know what you guys think!

It's not a bad concept, really.  Of course, what one person likes isn't going to match another's tastes, but one could probably devise overall standards for what's good and what isn't about a deck of cards.

How would one go about creating such a review section?  Is it something that could actually be created here?  It can't be a manually-operated thing, not without driving the person collecting the data a little batty before the day is done...  And you'll note that Pinside has been at this for well over a decade - ours would be nowhere near as comprehensive in less time.  It's a project requiring a LONG-TERM commitment.  This board has only been in existence for nearly forty months - and under its current ownership for only about thirteen of those forty months.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:23:34 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
I can look into it.  In the pinball community, the list itself doesn't have any visible effects on what the industry will create as a new table, but it does have an effect on driving the prices of pinball machines higher or lower depending on their rating.  People wondering what makes a medieval madness pinball machine so special, and then seeking one out to experience it might not have happened had they not seen a list like this.

I guess start with a list of criteria into examining a deck of cards.  I'm too new to figure that all out, but for pinball machines it asks you to rate smaller aspects at 1-6 stars and then gives an average of all of those aspects combined into a 1-10 score.  The website allows for trolls who will give a game an overall 10 or 0, because the law of averages will cancel them out :)  Anyways I would think categories to rate on a 1-6 level could be artwork, feel, shuffle-ability (?), deck extras, pips, whatever.

It seems like a project for someone who wants to code their own system in their free time as a hobby.  I wouldn't know how to do that, I just plug in my own data if I feel like it :)

And I believe it's affiliated with the united cardist website, but I bet you can somehow link the info from the playing card database somehow into making a ranking system.  Kind of like how people have used imdb to create a six degrees to Kevin Bacon game.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

And I believe it's affiliated with the united cardist website, but I bet you can somehow link the info from the playing card database somehow into making a ranking system.  Kind of like how people have used imdb to create a six degrees to Kevin Bacon game.

PCDB is created and owned by UC.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:51:10 AM »

elephantturtle

• Newcomer
This sounds like a good idea, how about doing a top 10 decks for say 10 different categories instead of top 100 decks of all sorts?

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This sounds like a good idea, how about doing a top 10 decks for say 10 different categories instead of top 100 decks of all sorts?

I could pick 100 decks, I can't pick just ten haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »

elephantturtle

• Newcomer

Must have tons of decks in mind huh  :D

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would have a tough time picking even ten, never mind a hundred.  Different decks have different qualities and are good or not as good for different reasons.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

This actually sounds feasible.  How about a top 20 from four main categories?  Cardistry, Magic, Modern Collectable and Vintage Collectable?   PCF could actually put it to a vote much like the awards to get a consesus.  It would not be the end all, be all of the playing card world but may in fact be enlightening to many, including those who are new to collecting, cardistry and magic and would like to see what decks are sought after by the community. 
 Unlike the yearly awards, allow people to "nominate" as many decks as they like in that particular category (up to 20) in a single post then tally up the duplicate nominations and create your list from there.  In the event of ties, put it up to a vote. 
I am aware this might be a little bit of an endeavor but I would like to see it come to fruition.  I would volunteer my time and very limited skill set to the process.   :)
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »

elephantturtle

• Newcomer

This actually sounds feasible.  How about a top 20 from four main categories?  Cardistry, Magic, Modern Collectable and Vintage Collectable?   PCF could actually put it to a vote much like the awards to get a consesus.  It would not be the end all, be all of the playing card world but may in fact be enlightening to many, including those who are new to collecting, cardistry and magic and would like to see what decks are sought after by the community. 
 Unlike the yearly awards, allow people to "nominate" as many decks as they like in that particular category (up to 20) in a single post then tally up the duplicate nominations and create your list from there.  In the event of ties, put it up to a vote. 
I am aware this might be a little bit of an endeavor but I would like to see it come to fruition.  I would volunteer my time and very limited skill set to the process.   :)

Yes, I think that by categorizing the decks we will be able to narrow things down as we can be very subjective when it comes to picking one deck over the other.

Most decks have their merit, some we may appreciate and some we may not.

Certain may be good to do flourishes with, while others are great for doing magic because of certain gaff elements embedded within the deck, revolutionary ideas with back/face designs and tuckcases for modern collectables and artwork for vintage collectables :)

At least we won't have to compare a vintage collectable deck to a modern collectable one, it's like comparing an old volkswagen beetle car to a modern one. While both may be similar, there are very stark differences  :P

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Must have tons of decks in mind huh  :D

I just find it easier to choose many than a few. I love playing cards you see, I love lots of playing card decks haha. If I could just have one deck design for the rest of this year.... I guess I could choose just one. The #1 deck I love without question Tally-Ho circle backs. After that, it gets difficult in a hurry.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
If I knew the first thing about coding I would already be on this

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 01:06:06 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
FYI a ranking/review feature was just confirmed added to the v2 Of pcdb which is in development, but this will be an overall rating by each member to arrive at an average ranking as well.  Eventually this could be similar to imdb.  However, you are talking by category and features which is beyond that.  A single rating obviously means people rank on different criteria based on what matters to them.  Wouldn't the recent awards voting be similar to what you suggest, except for being limited to last year.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 03:06:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You'd need better categorization than that.  The first three categories have a huge amount of overlap with each other.  The fourth category isn't as easily defined - and becomes a MASSIVE category unless you also throw in a category for antique, and even then it's still a massive undertaking.

"A little bit of an endeavor?"  Try a massive whopper!  It was probably easier to decode the human genome!

If you were to attempt this, I'd say leave out categories like that altogether.  Pick specific deck features to be ranked and use them to come up with a total score.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

You'd need better categorization than that.  The first three categories have a huge amount of overlap with each other.  The fourth category isn't as easily defined - and becomes a MASSIVE category unless you also throw in a category for antique, and even then it's still a massive undertaking.

"A little bit of an endeavor?"  Try a massive whopper!  It was probably easier to decode the human genome!

If you were to attempt this, I'd say leave out categories like that altogether.  Pick specific deck features to be ranked and use them to come up with a total score.
A fifth category would probably be needed to seperate the antique and vintage decks. You are correct about that.
As for the overlap, I think that would be fine to have some of the same decks in multiple categories. The whole point would be to create an overall list compiled by the members of this board for the members both current and future of this board.
It would be only as much work as it would take to set it up and tally the results. The forum members would decide.  PCF's Top 100 as chosen by the forum.  (not to belittle how much time and effort that would entail)
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
as for separate categories, the pinside pinball ranking system just has two.  Modern, and electro-mechanical machines