You are Here:
Any interest for European cards/reproductions in North America?

Author (Read 1234 times)

Any interest for European cards/reproductions in North America?
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
Ever since I've moved to Europe, I've been snapping up some European cards and historical reproductions. Some of these are hard or impossible to find online. I return to the States for the summer every two years. I suppose I can sell my spares on ebay for the 2 or 3 months that I'm back. Does anyone here think there's a significant interest? If there is I will be more aggressive in purchasing them. I'm worried about being stuck with unsold stock if the market is too weak. Also will US Customs give me trouble for bringing a suitcase full of decks?

Re: Any interest for European cards/reproductions in North America?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:43:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Ever since I've moved to Europe, I've been snapping up some European cards and historical reproductions. Some of these are hard or impossible to find online. I return to the States for the summer every two years. I suppose I can sell my spares on ebay for the 2 or 3 months that I'm back. Does anyone here think there's a significant interest? If there is I will be more aggressive in purchasing them. I'm worried about being stuck with unsold stock if the market is too weak. Also will US Customs give me trouble for bringing a suitcase full of decks?

Well, how about this - you could try posting a few on our STISO boards.  It's like a more primitive version of eBay!  Read the rules first (you already meet the prerequisites to post) and figure out which would be the better board to post on, the modern-deck STISO board (the Pasteboard Bazaar) or the vintage/antique STISO (Aces and Eights).  Start a topic, set a price, see if you get any nibbles and take it from there.

As far as Customs, taking in a suitcase-full of decks might raise a flag or two, but mailing some might be less of an issue.  Just trade through the mail from Europe - it seems easier that way.  You might also find interest from Asian traders as well - the market for playing cards in Asia is huge, particularly in China.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/