You are Here:
NINE LIVES Playing Cards [Poker size] Launched June 2016

Author (Read 4933 times)

NINE LIVES Playing Cards [Poker size] Launched June 2016
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:15:26 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hello forum dwellers and card enthusiasts :)

The decks have arrived and I am truly excited to announce the launch of Nine Lives Playing Cards: Poker size. Featuring refined design and artwork, and beautifully printed by Expert Playing Card Company:

http://www.ninelivestarot.com.au/ninelives-playing-cards_poker.php

Winner of the 2015 PCF Deck Design Competition, this limited edition deck features a new back design, 2 individually matching jokers and refined attire for the royals. Countless hours are behind the design and artwork, and to see this deck become a reality brings me so much joy! I want to extend a huge thank you to PCF and EPCC for their expertise and invaluable support in bringing Nine Lives Playing Cards to the world!

As promised during the contest, there are exciting offers up for grabs - my small way of saying THANK you for your support in making this deck a reality :)

Deck Features:
  • 52 Cards + 2 Jokers
  • Handcrafted illustrations
  • Inspired by Tarot
  • Jokers representing artist & cat
  • Card size: Poker = 63mm x 88 mm
  • Numbered seal on each deck
  • Printed by Expert Playing Card Company

Thanks and *wave*
Annette :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:24:36 PM by NineLives »

Re: Introducing Nine Lives Playing Cards: Poker size
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I can't figure out how to add more than 2 to my cart.  Do I have to make separate orders?

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I can't figure out how to add more than 2 to my cart.  Do I have to make separate orders?

Hi PrincessTrouble :) Thanks for asking. At the moment, the best way is to email me (abolinaart@gmail.com) directly with:
  • Number of decks
  • Shipping destination
  • Economy (standard) or Extra Cover (or AU Express) shipping class

I can then send you a payment request with the correct postage - making sure you don't pay too much for shipping :)

Hope this helps ... If you think I need more options on the actual site, please let me know and I will make them available :)

Thanks and *wave*

... a few more photos of the cards:

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I've been packing and wrapping decks over the weekend - leaving just a few of the 25 bonus decks left on offer ...

Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoy this new edition as much as I do!

*wave*

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:20:49 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
25 early birds (bonus deck of first edition) are all gone! Thanks  ever so much for your support :)

For anyone who wishes to save on shipping (and get a discount for ordering more than one deck) - you can now choose from 4, 6 & 8 decks as well:
http://www.ninelivestarot.com.au/ninelives-playing-cards_poker.php

Questions or comments, happy to help and listen :)

*wave*

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:18:38 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I have put together a post on my blog where I compare both editions; a visual look at the cards showing subtle and not so subtle variations - hope you enjoy:
http://www.ninelivestarot.com.au/blog/comparing-decks-a-visual-look-at-nine-lives/

And an update on discounted shipping:
8 decks = Free standard shipping worldwide

Thanks for looking
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:19:11 PM by NineLives »

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
NineLives - Very bold to have no borders for your courts.  I see you have 2 black Jokers...

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 02:48:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
NineLives - Very bold to have no borders for your courts.  I see you have 2 black Jokers...

It's a popular modern look, borderless court cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 04:12:57 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Thanks sprouts1115 :)
A while back, I spent some time researching the ever fascinating Jokers, their meanings and origin (appears, they made their first appearance in the US in the mid 1800s- although the stories may differ). Even in the world of standard playing cards -Jokers seem to live up to their name of being the 'wild card', some decks use 2 monochrome black jokers (one being smaller to make room for a guarantee statement), others include 1 coloured and 1 monochrome (black) joker, others vary the indices (red vs black) ... and I'm sure there are plenty more variations :)
Both jokers in Nine Lives have black indices, with the colour scheme of the actual joker being opposite (green vs red), allowing a differentiation of sorts if one needs one Joker to trump the other :)

On the topic of Jokers... I am curious how many of you use them in play?

It's a popular modern look, borderless court cards.

Thanks Don :)
Your suggestions encouraged me take that step :)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

On the topic of Jokers... I am curious how many of you use them in play?

Not many games call for them.  I used to play a variant of Spades that utilized the Jokers as additional trump cards in the Spade suit, but this variant also used a red two and a black two as Spade trumps, leaving out the other two twos - one could just as easily have assigned trump values to all four twos and left the jokers out!

The most common use I've ever seen for jokers in the modern day is as substitute cards for any that became damaged or otherwise marked.  I remember as a kid writing in with a pen something that looked vaguely like a real playing card index over the joker's index, sometimes even trying to draw the pips in the middle of the card.  But even more commonly than that, a lot of people simply throw the jokers and advertising cards away.  I've seen many a used deck that I know comes with two jokers and two ad cards out of the box, bereft of all of them - and at times, the box as well!  They never seem to last as long as the cards...

The Joker is believed to have come about around the 1870s.  Euchre was a card game originating in the US, extremely popular at the time.  Like Spades and Hearts, it was a trick-taking game using a trump suit.  Someone came up with the idea of a trump card to beat all the other trump cards - this was often called the "Best Bower," and you can see in the first Bicycle deck that is the name that appears on what we would call the Joker.  It's believed that the word "Joker" is a bastardization of the word "Euchre" - they have a similar sound, are two syllables long and the second syllable is pronounced the same in both words.

These cards always had some kind of whimsical characters on them - the original Bicycle "Best Bower" has a bowler-hatted gentleman riding a "knee-knocker," one of the early bicycles with the very large front wheel.  The one used in Aladdin decks has these two weird-looking elves or dwarves or gnomes (I don't know what they are!) behind an egg that's hatching a bunny.  Vaguely Easter-themed, I suppose...  It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to get from there to the more common circus clown/harlequin-esque characters that adorn many jokers in standard decks.

Here's a quote from the "World of Playing Cards" website on the subject:
"There is an old card game called Euchre which is still played to this day. It is played with a 32 card deck and at one time there were two additional cards which were extra trump cards. One was called a ‘Bower’ and the other, of even higher value, was called the ‘Best Bower’. Over time the game included only one ‘Bower’ card. Although the game was played with 32 cards, early American decks included a ‘Bower’ or ‘Best Bower’ card in their 52 card decks. This probably lead to the introduction of the Joker card."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:27:20 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Oh but digressing is fun ;)

Euchre and a variant '500' are common games here (in Oz) too, though it's a while since I played so I'd need to brush up on the rules...
It's kind of cute how Bicycle's original 'Best Bower' has developed from the bowler-hat man on oversized (front wheel) bicycle, to the nicely rounded King, so confident on his aptly sized bicycle that he doesn't even need to look where he's going ...

The special 'Joker included' notice is great

From Easter Bunny to our laughing bird... The Joker on 'Queen's Slipper 500' decks show a Kookaburra catching a worm:

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 12:55:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That's a worm!?  I've never seen a worm's tongue before!  It looks more like a baby snake!

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 01:47:17 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
That's a worm!?  I've never seen a worm's tongue before!  It looks more like a baby snake!

My bad - you're absolutely right Don!

Re: Nine Lives Playing Cards [Poker size] Launched June 2016
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I discovered World of Playing Cards (wopc.uk.co)  when I was doing research for my tarot deck - since finding this virtual encyclopaedia dedicated to the history and visual depiction of cards, the site has been one of my favourite resources :)

Recently, WoPC posted reviews of both my tarot deck and playing cards - I invite you to have a look (there are plenty of photos of the cards):

Nine Lives Tarot - http://www.wopc.co.uk/australia/nine-lives-tarot/

Nine Lives Playing Cards - http://www.wopc.co.uk/australia/nine-lives-tarot/nine-lives-playing-cards

*wave*

Re: NINE LIVES Playing Cards [Poker size] Launched June 2016
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
A little bump to let you know I have a special offer running at the moment:

*wave*

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:00:37 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
A little bump to let you know I have a special offer running at the moment:

*wave*

All- I own both Tarot and Poker sized deck and can vouch for the fact that those 2 are one of the most beautiful pieces of artwork in my collection. This new offer is an icing on the cake and poor me did not have the chance to avail such an offer. So, get hold of this offer as soon as you can (if you ask me, go for Tarot deck and get the bridge deck as free).

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 10:31:45 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks so much Sunish :) I'm truly glad you like your decks!
*wave*

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 11:38:18 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
These are now available on CARC too:

http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/Nine-Lives-Limited-Edition-Abolina-Art-226p1369.htm

Exciting news PrincesTrouble - truly glad to see that Nine Lives have found their way to Conjuring Arts! :)

This photo made me sooooooo happy:

Cardistry is a skill I greatly admire (beyond shuffling, my attempts to gracefully handle a deck of cards invariably result in '52 pickup'...) and it really is ever so cool to see 'my cards' handled in such a flairful way :)

I just launched a brand new integrated shop on Nine Lives feels very 'grown-up' if you ask me ;) ... . And being my annual month of specials (November), there are some exciting offers if you want to pick up Nine Lives decks at a discount rate...

Currently: 50% off 1st edition (bridge size) playing cards (until 3 November - midnight EDST). More specials to follow throughout the month and I warmly welcome you to pop through the door at: https://www.ninelivestarot.com.au/blog/shop/

*wave*

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hi all,

Continuing November specials - this 3 Day sale on Nine Lives Playing Cards (poker) ends Midnight 10 November (Australian Eastern Daylight savings Time) - 50% off and less than 24 hours to go :)