Author (Read 3778 times)

Card Designing Software
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hi,
I was wondering what kind of software people use to design Decks. I would like to design a deck but i dont know what software to buy and i dont want to spend a bunch of money on the wrong thing.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Re: Card Designing Software
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think most people use Photoshop and Illustrator

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
  Photoshop is a must. But I strongly suggest at least 2-3 years of experience before really designing your deck.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Yeah take the above advice into consideration. I just got my Bachelors in Graphic Design and only now decided to create a deck of cards. Its takes a very long time to learn these skills and to develop your own style.

Most people use Photoshop, Illustrator, CAD and Maya : P
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:09:32 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Yeah take the above advice into consideration. I just got my Bachelors in Graphic Design and only now decided to create a deck of cards. Its takes a very long time to learn these skills and to develop your own style.

Most people use Photoshop, Illustrator, CAD and Maya : P

lol I think you're the only one who does Maya Sean~

Bachelor of GD? Cool~ where?  :D

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Bachelors in Graphic Design with a Focus in Animation (hence why I use Maya) and a Minor in Web Development
Attended Dowling college located on Long Island.

Regardless what you use, its how you develop your style and again this takes a very very long time. Once you find it though it clicks and its an amazing feeling
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:31:18 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Degrees aren't necessary, but they certainly speed things up. I remember having my mind blown when I found out about what vector files really are several years ago, and that's something you learn pretty much in your first semester in school.

Photoshop isn't necessary but you can accomplish much more with it than without it. Depending on the route you go, you can use crazy stuff to make your cards happen. It's the end product that matters.

For example, you can choose the route I took, which involves Photoshop and Illustrator exclusively. If you're making 3D graphics, you can opt for programs like Cinema4D or 3DMax. You can pull a Sean and use Maya, which is awesome because I have never seen that program used for print design.

Heck you could whip out Flash and make your cards there. It all depends on the style you want to have.

I suggest avoiding free programs because even if they can accomplish what you need, you will never learn the skills you need to move into a professional program. That being said, I know very few people that actually pay for the high-end programs. If you have insane morals, just keep re-downloading the 30-day trials while you learn.

You won't be good at anything until you use the programs for at least on year. You won't be ready to make an amazing deck for at least three years. You won't master it for at least five, and trust me you will never be the best at it. Heck, if you take a break for any amount of time, you will be so out of date you practically have to relearn everything. I stopped designing for a year and a half and I came back to techniques I had never even heard of.

When we launch our design board, I will be providing resources for people to get a jump start on their art and learn the trade as a hobby.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Tossing my 2 cents in here, I think that Illustrator for the clean, vector based elements and then bringing that into Photoshop to add detail, shadowing, gradients, etc would be the route to take.

Keep in mind that Photoshop is a very, very deep and expensive professional tool. It is not something you learn in a few months, or even a few years to be honest. I have used Photoshop since version 1.0, nearly 20 years ago and there are still parts of that program I rarely touch, and without exaggeration I learn something new about every week that I did not know before.

Being a pro takes time, dedication and money to invest in your tools. There really is no way around that.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Photoshop and Illustrator are magnificent tools, and when bundled together in a creative suite package, Adobe does not hand out those licenses for cheap.  Even by itself, Illustrator can run $500-$600 for the latest version.  Photoshop however has a lower end edition called Photoshop Elements which I've seen on sale for $59.99.  It doesn't have everything, but it definitely had enough.

If you can pick up software somewhere else, go right ahead.  However, if you're looking to actually purchase a product, $60 is not an unreasonable price tag for everything that PS does.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Thanks for all the info everyone and what version of photoshop would you reccomend and are there any online sites to teach how to use photoshop.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:46:10 PM by azroth14 »

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Honestly, PS7 and up will do you I think and yes, there are hundreds of tutorials online.  Just google it, you'll see.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Photoshop CS5 is my preferred version. Specifically I like what they did with the interface in CS3, but I enjoy all of the tiny features tacked into CS5. Also, I believe Photoshops before CS2 do not come with animation integrated into them, or slicing.

Didn't Adobe merge Image Ready into Photoshop a few years ago?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Don't really need animation to design cards ;)  I think they did merge them, yeah.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
thanks for all the info. I am downloading a 30-day trial of illustrator and C5S but i think for price i might only be able to get elements.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Good for you. Go find some video tutorials, otherwise you will sit there for an hour staring dumbly at your screen wondering where the heck to start. Have fun though, it's a great feeling to come up with something original.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Didn't Adobe merge Image Ready into Photoshop a few years ago?
'
I think ImageReady was part of CS2 as well.  I think they pulled it out in CS3. 

As far as playing card design goes though, I'm not sure ImageReady, or any of its features that are not part of PS would really serve much assistance.  However, correct me if I'm mistaken.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
If you're making 3D graphics, you can opt for programs like Cinema4D or 3DMax. You can pull a Sean and use Maya, which is awesome because I have never seen that program used for print design.

Actually, 3D programs like Maya, Lightwave and 3D Studio Max are used everyday for print.

The three designs linked below all use models created in Lightwave (Haunted House, Fence, Punch Bowl, Tree and parts on the Fenway Press Box and Scoreboard). They are rendered out at hi res, then cleaned up and sometimes have texture added in Photoshop (Tree Bark on the Punch Bowl, Distressed Wood Paneling on the Haunted House).

www.kingsofcombat.co/PRUHallo2011.jpg

http://www.kingsofcombat.co/StoliHallo2010.jpg

http://www.kingsofcombat.co/AbsolutRedSox.jpg

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:50:50 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
If you're making 3D graphics, you can opt for programs like Cinema4D or 3DMax. You can pull a Sean and use Maya, which is awesome because I have never seen that program used for print design.

Actually, 3D programs like Maya, Lightwave and 3D Studio Max are used everyday for print.

The three designs linked below all use models created in Lightwave (Haunted House, Fence, Punch Bowl, Tree and parts on the Fenway Press Box and Scoreboard). They are rendered out at hi res, then cleaned up and sometimes have texture added in Photoshop (Tree Bark on the Punch Bowl, Distressed Wood Paneling on the Haunted House).

www.kingsofcombat.co/PRUHallo2011.jpg

http://www.kingsofcombat.co/StoliHallo2010.jpg

http://www.kingsofcombat.co/AbsolutRedSox.jpg

I guess I don't consider models as print design since their application can be used in any medium. However you're correct since the first one seems to be a poster.

I guess a more correct sentence would be that 3D imaging software is uncommon in the playing card industry. Unfortunately in terms of design, this field is extremely outdated in the methods used to create the artwork.

Forum Founder.